C5 X7 - Insurance Company & Writeoffs
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: C5 X7 - Insurance Company & Writeoffs

Default C5 X7 - Insurance Company & Writeoffs

Hi all,

i have ave just had my 2009 C5 X7 stoned by an 8 year old child, leaving only 2 panels without scratches or small dents. I have a very bad feeling the insurance company will write the vehicle off as it is uneconomical to repair. My worst nightmare.

Advertisement

Does any have any experience with this process in NSW and can provide me with some advice. I do not want the vehicle to go onto the Written Off Vehicle Registry. I believe I can have it exempted from being written off as there is no non repairable damage. But, even with that it is still tagged as being written off.

Not happy at this time.

Fellow Frogger

That is unfortunate. This may help:
    Hail damaged C5 potential write off

Is there the option of procuring the repair costs from the child's parents yourself?

Jo

In Victoria there are two types of write-off. Statutory write-off and repairable write-off ( economic write-off ). You cannot legally repair the first type of write-off (statutory). The second type is where repair costs exceed market value. If you wish to repair this classification you will have to buy back the damaged vehicle from the insurers. Then it is a matter of how deep is your wallet? The same situation may exist in NSW?
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

So sorry to hear about this Laurie - and so glad I live out of town!

PS Have the flying foxes moved on yet? Did they cause you much grief?

Cheers

Alec

Searching RMS and talking to your insurer should provide the answer.

Written off vehicles - Get a NSW registration - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Cheers
    Ted

Hi Laurie,

In NSW you certainly don't want your vehicle becoming a write-off. It is possible to repair under limited circumstances but the paperwork and inspections just make it uneconomic and bureaucratic.

You need to head it off at the pass in your discussion with the insurance assessor. I had a similar situation and had a plan to repair it myself. The assessor rang to tell me it was an economic write-off but I convinced him that I could get the job done for less. Shannons were great and the car was returned to me to be repaired with an agreed payment to finalise the claim. They did reduce the insured value until I demonstrated that the repairs were complete.

They are great cars, all the best,

Peter

Alec,

Last one left on 29 April. I was one block from the colony but apart from bat sh.. around the place and a bit of noise I was ok. After they cut the trees down in some of the houses now they have left it will be interesting next year. I have lots of trees.

Thanks David, read the thread.

I have been doing the reading. Wow. Gerry, very similar in NSW with the types of write offs but far more difficult for a car that is a non-economical repair with no non repairable damage. Peter, you describe it correctly, a paperwork nightmare. I can't believe that you can have a car put on a Write Off Register simply because of panel damage, and not bad panel damage - basically scratches.

I am beginning to think my main problem will be the Insurance company -NRMA. I took it to another repairer this morning and they walked around it and said it wouldn't be a write off till I told him NRMA. Then the response was good luck. Have resolved myself to a lot of discussion with the assessor. I looked online and the Redbook price is around $9000 retail. On the advice of the second repairer I have begun documenting online prices for similar models as to what they are bringing or I should say asking. A lot lot more than the rebook wholesale / retail prices. Will have to argue what market value actually is, especially since there are so few V6 models for sale.

When I was at the preferred repairer it was obvious they were very very busy so I am expecting a quick and expensive quote from them which will work against me. Perhaps the lesson out of this is that you have the option of a preferred repairer.

Jo, no. You just have to accept the fact that sh.t happens sometimes. Family horrified and very sorry but that is why I have insurance. Happened while the kid was in school grounds and car parked just outside the fence. Caught by one of the staff. Walked in and told my wife who is also one of the staff. Kid didn't know that though. Funny part was that he was put on detention for what he did by the school. Guess who got him for detention - yep, the wife. Before you ask, no the Dept of Education won't cover anything. I can tell you he has a good arm. There were some great groupings just below the side glass.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Think positive .......... The CX is ok right ... YOu can always find another plastic car ... but replacing the CX would be almost impossible!!!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

CX...mmmmmmmm

I broke my left ankle 6 months ago and just had it reconstructed. Looking forward to driving it again ..... eventually.

So, how much is a 2009 C5 Exclusive V6 worth as a wreck?

Just preparing myself for a conversation with an assessor.

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    Jo, no. You just have to accept the fact that sh.t happens sometimes. Family horrified and very sorry but that is……. .

The parents should be held responsible, and I suspect the insurance company would feel the same way as i do, that they should be made financial responsible for the actions of their ratbag child.

The child acted way outside the normal boundaries of acceptable behaviour. It is not unreasonable to expect the parents to account for their childs malicious damage.

Anyway, I'd be going down the 'private settlement road' first…. Get a few quotes, present them to the parents and offer them the opportunity to fix the wrong.
    Keep your insurer out of the picture until private negotiations break down or are not yielding a satisfactory outcome.
    Even if they offer you 80% of what you ask for, you'd still be in a better position than doing the write-off thing.

I have spoken to my insurers over the years about their attitude to private settlements and they are more than happy to not be involved if it means they don't have to pay out and try and attempt recover of the money later.

Your quotes will be far cheaper than the bill the insurer will present the parents.

Jo

1000+ Posts

could be construed as a failure of duty of care by school too could it not? Just saying before copping a tirade for what might be seen as defence of parents. No put the kid in a panel apprenticeship and no recess till they sort it out.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    Alec,

Last one left on 29 April. I was one block from the colony but apart from bat sh.. around the place and a bit of noise I was ok. After they cut the trees down in some of the houses now they have left it will be interesting next year. I have lots of trees.
    Didn't think they'd like our winter (although even around Armidale it's been so warm that I saw a snake out yesterday). Them leaving sounds like the only bit of good news you've had lately - hopefully they won't come back next year. Hope you've been able to wash all the batsh off anything that might corrode or stain (eg cars, roofs, garden furniture etc.).

I agree with forumnoreason - surely the school would have relevant insurance?

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

School premiums on vandalism? Not much profit in that!

Checked with the schools - not covered. Teachers cars damaged whilst on the property are not covered. Kid is below age of criminality. Parents have no responsibility by law. Chase them with a lawyer and you just waste your money, making a uncomfortable situation bad. Mellowing in my older age.

I would be scratching my head about the insurance companies and NSW Govt even if I did not know who did it. How can you put a car with scratches on the Written-off Vehicles Register. I believe in Victoria if you own the car and something like this happens you can continue to own the car but it is not on the register. Not so in NSW. At least then you could sell it to someone at a reasonable price, continue to use it or whatever. As it is a wrecker, is only likely to offer around $500 for the car as a write-off and you have to get it to them.

Just bad luck. Here's hoping the total respray is quoted less than agreed-value minus wreck-value.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The parents should be held responsible, and I suspect the insurance company would feel the same way as i do, that they should be made financial responsible for the actions of their ratbag child.

The child acted way outside the normal boundaries of acceptable behaviour. It is not unreasonable to expect the parents to account for their childs malicious damage.

Anyway, I'd be going down the 'private settlement road' first…. Get a few quotes, present them to the parents and offer them the opportunity to fix the wrong.
    Keep your insurer out of the picture until private negotiations break down or are not yielding a satisfactory outcome.
    Even if they offer you 80% of what you ask for, you'd still be in a better position than doing the write-off thing.

I have spoken to my insurers over the years about their attitude to private settlements and they are more than happy to not be involved if it means they don't have to pay out and try and attempt recover of the money later.

Your quotes will be far cheaper than the bill the insurer will present the parents.

Jo
    ER..... Guess why a lot of kids have problems ................ You don't have to look much further than the parents. I'm sure Laurie knows exactly what is going on there. I'd suggest this is a lost cause unless this is an upperclass private school we are talking about. In which case they will fix the car to keep this out of the public eye. If my car got stoned from the school across the road there wouldn't be a snowmans chance in hell it would be fixed (the parents are all strugglers, not peroxide blond middle aged women driving 3.5ton wank tanks).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

thats total bullshit scenario excuse the florid language. The parents are responsible for the damage if the school won't play ball. You would think your insurance company would go after one or the other or both?

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    thats total bullshit scenario excuse the florid language. The parents are responsible for the damage if the school won't play ball. You would think your insurance company would go after one or the other or both?
    Think of it from this perspective. You may have the mother there with 3 kids to 3 separate fathers... None of them (fathers or mothers) work ... and they live in commission housing. Your talking generational un-employed with quite a few families. They make a living out of milking every tax payer funded system there is.

Who is paying again As Laurie said, you can take these sort through all the courts in the land, it will just cost you a huge amount in legal costs. And at the end of it, you'll end up with nothing ................... As they have nothing. You could try garnishing there social security at a couple of dollars a fortnight if you think that will help.

My brother worked for a rental company for the last 15years. And dealt with these types on a daily basis. Not fun at all.

seeya
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Been down that legal path a long time ago with someone who damaged my house whist I was renting it out to them after being shifted to another town. Lost cause. Good money thrown away.

You are quite correct Shane, though not as bad as you describe. It was most definitely not one of the private schools in town. Parents are good people actually. Kid just did a stupid thing with repercussions he could never imagine.

This is what I pay insurance for. As I said the thing that is most disturbing for me is how you can be put in a situation because of the law where you can be screwed. If your brand new car is caught in a major hail storm after you drive out of the showroom it can be written off if they deem it to be uneconomical to repair. Bet your insurance company won't pay you what you just payed for the car (depending on your policy of course). BTW hail damage is one of the things that you can APPLY to have your write-off exempted but from my reading it will still be listed as written off. Because it is on that register the value of that car is then in my opinion $0. I could possibly live with a Citroen worth $0 because I intended to drive it for some years yet and knew it would be worth $0 in the end. Though I might change my mind and sell it, be it worth $5000 or less - it still has value. But to have it possibly taken away when it has some value is not appropriate. It is possible to be caught out with how this legislation is constructed, constructed to stop the rebirth of stolen vehicles. I am only talking NSW here as I think it is done differently other states - not as harsh.

Anyway, kid did something stupid, parents have no resources, school won't pay for repairs as lawyers say they don't have to, I pay insurance for those things you don't want to happen, panel beaters need to make a living, wreckers know that there are no Citroens out there so tell you your car is worth nothing, insurance companies want to screw everyone for $$. Life goes on.
    Armidillo and Trading Estate like this.

If you wish to repair this classification you will have to buy back the damaged vehicle from the insurers. Then it is a matter of how deep is your wallet? The same situation may exist in NSW?

I have been through a NSW "write off" situation (accident by others) and Shannons were quick and efficient in paying out, and deducting a sum for me to retain the car, which was easily repairable, (but not
    economically). This was a 1975 Citroen. Fortunately, the car was rescued by an enthusiast.

With older cars, colour matching and warranty on the repair (versus the old existing parts) makes for a different scenario from newer cars.

I do hope you reach an equitable outcome. I favour Shannons for their better understanding of these processes, although
    I assume that all insurers are bound by the current rules and regulations, and clearly these are not always well considered.

Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Shannons let a friend of mine keep his hail damaged economic write off 1968 Peugeot 404.

They didn't even have the title amended to written off status , want payment for the vehicle, or cash in the rego. The only condition they imposed was the requirement to inspect the vehicle prior to insuring with them again.

The payout cheque, for full insured value arrived in 14 days after the assessment.

IMO it's hard to be fairer than that.
    Armidillo likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Paint 'Gilbert' on the kid and give him to a rugby club.

I know sort of how you feel Laurie. Not long after my wife got her (brand new) Mondeo, a local drug addict mongrel teen got football sized limestone rocks and smashed all four panels one side of the car, repeatedly, for a bit of fun. I almost cried with rage because all we had was CCTV showing him walk into the vicinity (at my wife's work at local shops) and then away, but it didn't pick up the act as it was just off screen. I was warned by the police not to do something silly as I was ranting about what I wanted to do to him while brandishing my Maglite. We could do nothing, but it wasn't a writeoff so the insurers repaired the car. The car was so bad it looked like we'd side swiped a barrier.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger

NSW has very strict rules now, so what might happen to cars in other states and older vehicles is not what will happen in this case. The main problem here is the age of the car and the fact that in NSW, because the car is less than 15yo, a total loss insurance claim (even if only on economic grounds) means it will almost always be treated as a statutory write-off. It can then be used for parts only. In general, we don't have repairable write-offs as was the case several years ago and as continues in some other states. There was a huge industry here in renovating damaged salvage cars and not always safely, so the NSW govt ended it to protect consumers. There are some exceptions and the length of ownership has some bearing in the situation from memory, but if just left to the insurer, they will simply treat it as a total loss, take the car for salvage and pay out their obligation less adjustments for the excess and unpaid premium. If you want to keep a car like this in NSW, you have to negotiate a different outcome. You actually do not have to make a claim at all, but you may still be obliged to advise the insurer of the incident and damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information