DS21 sump removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS21 sump removal

One for the brains trust, does anyone know if the sump on a DS21 can be removed from the engine block without taking the engine out of the car?

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Not a brains trust person but I reckon that's a no. Flywheel and timing cover are going to ruin your fun.

The short answer is no unfortunately.
    Pulling the engine out is actually not as hard as it might seem.
    You can do a lot of good jobs quickly and efficiently with the whole lot on the workshop floor.
    What's wrong with the sump...?
    Cheers,
    Mark...

yay I got one right! Get a hoist and pull that putain moteur out! You know you want to.

Hello, and then: change starter motor wiring, change engine mounts, change timing chain, change clutch, change brake pads, change LHM, check oil pressure switch isn't leaking, add extra soundproofing, worry about the paint colour for the block even though you'll never see it again, paint around the timing pin hole so you can see it and so on.

And open the bonnet with a big cheesy grin to show people what you waste all your time on.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, and then: change starter motor wiring, change engine mounts, change timing chain, change clutch, change brake pads, change LHM, check oil pressure switch isn't leaking, add extra soundproofing, worry about the paint colour for the block even though you'll never see it again, paint around the timing pin hole so you can see it and so on.
    Accumulator! Don't forget the accumulator sphere!
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys, I had a funny feeling the answer was no. I was rather hoping to avoid removing the engine but then it's about the only part I haven't taken off. It looks like the gasket has given up as oil is leaking from the joint and running down the side of the sump which isn't a great look for roadworthy inspections.

Not having an engine crane or much free time is going to make it hard to fix

Fellow Frogger!

If it;s one of the later (post 66) cars with the five bearing engine, then there is no gasket as such. there is just a small cork strip that goes over one of the bearings. You just run a small bead of appropriate sealant around the face of the join. If you can trace the leak, I wonder whether you could do a temporary fix with sealant? I wouldn't advice it long term, but (after your inspection) you could look into more thoroughly?

I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but have you checked that the oil breather pipe is not blocked? I'm wondering whether there might be excessive pressure in the sump?
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Budge. It does look as though a gasket of some sort has been put in at some point but could just be excess sealant around the joint. The leak only happens with the engine running so you may be onto something with a blocked breather hose. Just have to figure out how to get at it as there's very little room down that side of the engine with the fuel injection manifold.

Hi Faulksy,
    Just thought I would mention, I had an oil leak only when running, on this engine.
    Turned out to be missing one of the bolts that hold the timing cover in place.
    There are quite a few bolts on this cover but there are 3 that actually their hole runs thru to where oil circulates. Worth running your hand around the timing cover plate and make sure they are all in place, just in case. I never figured out how this bolt could have come loose.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    Not having an engine crane or much free time is going to make it hard to fix
    Engine cranes are really cheap to start with, not to mention easy to borrow or resell.

Free time is obviously another matter.

I have an engine crane not busy at the moment. If you feel like a drive to Castlemaine area to pick it up, you're welcome.
    SF

Thread Information