C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PeterJ

Thread: C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement

Default C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement

Hi

Iíve changed the thermostat on my C5 2006 2.0 HDi (DW10BTED4). It canít be a common problem because I couldnít find much about it on the web. The Haynes manual made it sound much easier than it was. But it pretty easy if you have the right gear.

Advertisement

The symptoms of a failed thermostat were what youíd expect. Very low water temperatures (almost off the bottom of the gauge) when the engine was under light load (highway travel on a cool night) but it would increase a bit on hills and around town it seemed fine. The oil temperature was also pretty low. That ruled out a stuffed temperature sender.

I bought an aftermarket replacement off ebay for a reasonable price. The thermostat comes as a full housing with a temperature sensor included and a seal.

The hoses are too short to really move the unit around much and the space is pretty limited. No surprises there.

You will need one of those wonderful hose clamp pliers with a flexible cable which will cost you about as much as the thermostat housing.

C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement-thermostat-annotated.jpg

The first thing to do is drain the radiator and have some new coolant handy.
    Then remove the air-filter. Access is now much better.

C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement-hoses-everywhere.jpg

Remove the bracket bolted to the thermostat which holds the wiring and then move the wiring out of the way, access is now as good as it gets.

C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement-wiggling-plate-into-place.jpg

Note: All the hoses to the thermostat seem to have a different way of being attached, clamp, push on and variations.

Remove the three front hoses - Nos. 1, 2 & 3.
    Remove the four studs from the thermostat (you may need to double nut them to get the stud to come). This improves access to the hose on the front left of the thermostat - No. 4. It also allows the thermostat to move forward to remove later.

C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement-sneaky-hose.jpg

Now at the back, disconnect the hose from the angled plastic pipe at the rear right of the thermostat Ė No. 5
    Unclip the thermometer connection Ė No. 6
    Use those great hose clamp pliers to move the clamp on the big hose at the back of the thermostat Ė No. 7.
    Remove the thermostat

C5 2006 2.0 HDi Diesel Thermostat Replacement-removed.jpg

Transfer the angle piece at the rear of the old thermostat to the new Ė No. 5.
    Put the new seal (provided with the thermostat) into its groove.
    Should I say refitting is the reverse of the removal procedure?

When bleeding the coolant system I found it impossible with this efficient diesel motor to a high enough temperature for the cooling fans to kick in. But generally followed the bleeding procedure.

The old thermostat looked ok, it was closed - not stuck open. But the water temperature now runs right in the middle of the gauge. Problem fixed.

Cheers,

Peter
    electroboy and birks like this.

Thanks Peter,

That is a good one to store away for us with RHR engine C5s.

I have just about given up trying to replace my fuel pressure regulator solenoid on the HDI pump as access to the two Torx screws holding it on is almost impossible and they are so so tight. Maybe it might be possible if the ECU and BSM and mounting frame is removed but the think the brake booster could still be in the way. Maybe it can wait until I need to replace the gearbox mount.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
    Hi

Iíve changed the thermostat on my C5 2006 2.0 HDi (DW10BTED4). It canít be a common problem because I couldnít find much about it on the web. The Haynes manual made it sound much easier than it was. But it pretty easy if you have the right gear.

The symptoms of a failed thermostat were what youíd expect. Very low water temperatures (almost off the bottom of the gauge) when the engine was under light load (highway travel on a cool night) but it would increase a bit on hills and around town it seemed fine. The oil temperature was also pretty low. That ruled out a stuffed temperature sender.

I bought an aftermarket replacement off ebay for a reasonable price. The thermostat comes as a full housing with a temperature sensor included and a seal.

The hoses are too short to really move the unit around much and the space is pretty limited. No surprises there.

You will need one of those wonderful hose clamp pliers with a flexible cable which will cost you about as much as the thermostat housing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thermostat annotated.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	105584

The first thing to do is drain the radiator and have some new coolant handy.
    Then remove the air-filter. Access is now much better.

Name:	Hoses Everywhere.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	105586

Remove the bracket bolted to the thermostat which holds the wiring and then move the wiring out of the way, access is now as good as it gets.

Name:	Wiggling the plate into place.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	105585

Note: All the hoses to the thermostat seem to have a different way of being attached, clamp, push on and variations.

Remove the three front hoses - Nos. 1, 2 & 3.
    Remove the four studs from the thermostat (you may need to double nut them to get the stud to come). This improves access to the hose on the front left of the thermostat - No. 4. It also allows the thermostat to move forward to remove later.

Name:	Sneaky Hose.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	105587

Now at the back, disconnect the hose from the angled plastic pipe at the rear right of the thermostat Ė No. 5
    Unclip the thermometer connection Ė No. 6
    Use those great hose clamp pliers to move the clamp on the big hose at the back of the thermostat Ė No. 7.
    Remove the thermostat

Name:	Removed.jpg 
Views:	857 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	105588

Transfer the angle piece at the rear of the old thermostat to the new Ė No. 5.
    Put the new seal (provided with the thermostat) into its groove.
    Should I say refitting is the reverse of the removal procedure?

When bleeding the coolant system I found it impossible with this efficient diesel motor to a high enough temperature for the cooling fans to kick in. But generally followed the bleeding procedure.

The old thermostat looked ok, it was closed - not stuck open. But the water temperature now runs right in the middle of the gauge. Problem fixed.

Cheers,

Peter
    Thank you Peter, super detailed instructions much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Peter, for some reason the phrase '"plumber's nightmare" comes to mind.

Geoff
    Cheerio,

Geoff (in Mirboo North)

1994 405 SRDT white - (free to a good home, unreg. & needs injector pump re-fitting)
    1997 Toyota Hilux Surf
    2007 Citroen C5 Hdi Wagon
    2003 Merc Vito 112Cdi
    non-sequitur - 1951 Hudson Pacemaker brush-painted matt black!

Thread Information