DS Fuel Tank Repair
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS Fuel Tank Repair

Hi guys

Im in a bit of a pickle with my D’s fuel tank. A few weeks ago I removed it and had it acid dipped to remove the rusty scale from the inside. I then sealed the inside with Bill Hirsch tank sealant, and painted the outside. However, when I went to reinstall the 8mm drain plug it just spun and stripped the thread in the tank. I’m assuming that it was due to the threads being rusted enough that there wasn’t enough solid steel left to grip, even though a visual inspection initially looked ok?
    Thinking the best option now would be to fit a bigger drain plug I proceeded to drill out the hole and re tap it to take a 10mm drain plug, doing it gently so as not to dislodge the captive nut in the bottom of the tank.
    Sure enough, the nut did start to spin while I was turning the tap in, and now I can’t finish threading it or screw a new plug in.
    What option do I have? The solvents in the tank sealant make it difficult to do any welding now, but I’m wondering whether I could fill the tank with water and solder a small blanking plate over ther hole, or even drill and tap a piece of 6mm steel and solder onto the outside of the tank as a new drain? I’m not particularly worried if I have to do away with that drain all together, as I can always drain the tank via the cap under the pick up filter.

Advertisement

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by cresco750; 22nd April 2018 at 02:45 PM.

Suggestion....push the tap up into the tank, turn it over and shake it out or maybe you can use a telescopic magnet from the fuel sender hole to grab it? Drill the hole in the tank circular if it’s not already and fit a steel threaded rivet nut to suit. Smear the outside and flange of the rivet nut with a bit of Leak Fix when you push it in. Then fit a drain bolt and copper washer to the rivet nut.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thanks for the suggestion, Marc. I hadn’t considered using a rivet nut; good idea, buy my concern would be whether it would be leakproof around the flange? I’ve got the threading tap out already, so that’s no issue.

Thread Information