Lhm pump cycling
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Lhm pump cycling

74 ds. Pump is clicking in and out in a matter of seconds. Thought it was the accumulator so spent the day changing the sphere. What a rotten job! Original Accumulator looked cactus as I could not detect the membrane so we thought we had solved the problem

Advertisement

end result it is still doing the same thing when we got it all back together. Click regularly and constantly if we turn the steering. Have bled system so donít think that is it. Could be a cracked pump. Suggestions please?

It's probably internal leaks in the steering rack or rotating union.

The steering uses the most fluid anyway so naturally the pump has to work hard if you turn the steering.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    changing the sphere. What a rotten job!
    A rotten job it is. If anyone can let me know of a more rotten one... please keep it to yourself

And the steering rack it probably is.
    Although. If that is made up for with extreme suppleness of the steering (and depending on how many seconds, really), i'd count it as a blessing (really :∑) and live happily with the pump cycles.

wear the pump out not good. Taking a rack out is no biggy, just time consuming. Drop the car to low, depressurize, drain the radiator, take radiator shroud off, remove radiator, take rack out. I don't know what Pleiades in QLD is up to, but had mine done there and satisified with work, sent through in post. Roger at Oleonpneumatics in SA also option possibly? I'd be talking to those guys first to see what they reckon as it might be the pump, would a worn priority valve cause this also?
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 22nd April 2018 at 10:25 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Found the answer

I neglected an important fact which seems to be the answer. When we fitted the sphere it all worked fine for a couple of minutes then there was a very loud and sudden hiss. We had no idea what it was. Those more informed have told us the new sphere was a dud and the diaphragm failed thus giving the original problem. So one more new sphere and that bugger of a job all over again. 😿

You live and learn. Thought this info might be of use to anyone that hears the same sound. ( I hope not though)

An important fact indeed. The other telltale sign of a failed diaphragm is a sudden loss of fluid and no evidence it has gone anywhere else.

Roger

And, from my own experience, a boiling noise at the reservoir, as the gas gets out, if you happen to have the bonnet up at the right time. I couldn't work out what the noise was until I discovered one corner had no suspension movement!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

If you get the hang of the process swapping a sphere over on an accumulator is pretty quick and easy. Trick is to loosen pipes, loosen bolts off accumulator bracket, loosen pipes again with accumulator free and get pipes on loosely before fixing back onto bracket on block.

I must say that changing the accumulator sphere on an SM is about the easiest of any Cit, although a 4 cylinder Xantia is not too far behind. I can't remember what is required for a GS so it cannot be too bad either.

Replacing one on a DS sounds almost as bad as replacing a brake valve rubber on a BX or a Xantia.

Cheers, Ken

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    I neglected an important fact which seems to be the answer. When we fitted the sphere it all worked fine for a couple of minutes then there was a very loud and sudden hiss. We had no idea what it was. Those more informed have told us the new sphere was a dud and the diaphragm failed thus giving the original problem. So one more new sphere and that bugger of a job all over again. 

You live and learn. Thought this info might be of use to anyone that hears the same sound. ( I hope not though)
    Yep... You need to replace the replacement accumulator. Its easier the 2nd time around ............... By the third time you will be an expert

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information