• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken W
  • 2 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By shanadoo

Thread: Xsara air con problem help needed

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xsara air con problem help needed

Posted about Xsara air con not working but lost somewhere in system so controlling anger here's a short. After having trouble logging in yesterday/

No voltage to blower.

Checked all usual stuff, ign sw, rear window heat, fuse box.

Advertisement

System works ok with jumper

Is there a relay somewhere?

Haynes useless as per.

No experience with a Xsara but if everything else is working and the blower motor runs when connected directly to 12 volts then it's probably the blower motor speed controller, which will be either a resistor pack (if the system has discrete fan speeds) or it's equivalent electronic control mosfet transistor if you've got climate control. Cheers, James.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jech View Post
    No experience with a Xsara but if everything else is working and the blower motor runs when connected directly to 12 volts then it's probably the blower motor speed controller, which will be either a resistor pack (if the system has discrete fan speeds) or it's equivalent electronic control mosfet transistor if you've got climate control. Cheers, James.

Yeh thanks James, that's swat I figured but, where is the damn thing situated, guess I'll hafta pull the dash out. Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Here's a page from a Xsara manual. Hope it's your heater, it is similar to the C3 unit.
    Xsara air con problem help needed-xsara-heater.jpg
    The resistor pack is item 3 if you have auto control.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks seasink but it's a completely different configuration although I do have auto control feature. From what I've researched so far the trouble could be a cactus control relay which supplies voltage to the blower [makes sense to me] But can't find the thing. To trace the wiring I need to remove the brittle recycled ABS plastic dash. Need I comment further?.

1000+ Posts

The manual was for a Xsara HDI model.

The resistors/transistors usually have a big heatsink/vanes on them which are bolted into the cold air path on/around the heater to keep them cool. There can't be many things bolted into the air path with wires attached so hopefully you can spot it under the dash without having to remove too much, as they're 'normally' designed to be reasonably accessible. I would trace the wires back from the blower motor +ve, it should be the next component in line? Good opportunity to epoxy/fibreglass any brittle plastic you have to remove....

Fellow Frogger!

well this thing is as cramped as ever I;ve seen. Trouble is the wiring runs along the back of the unit. And I can;t spot anything which looks like the item I'm looking for. So checked the air temp sensors in both sides of the footwell, the center sensor for face, the main air flow thyristor fuse and the main temp probe. What accessible wiring connections there are all check ok, I can operate both flap motors with the console mounted control switch.

Finally pulled the heater ECU [bitch of a place on the right hand end of the main air flow trunk] and all appears well, no corrosion, bad solder or burning issues. Just can't get at any more of the wiring to even enable a continuity test.

I have a Xsara manual superposed suit my N1 1999 but it doesn't even mention air con except in the wiring diagrams, which apart from being the worst unreadable print job in the world. doesn't appear to be for my vehicle in any way. Access is very limited all round.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 18th April 2018 at 06:34 AM.

Tony,

What is is your RPO and VIN number. PM me if you like. I will try top get my SEDRE going to get you a circuit diagram and parts location diagram.

It is most likely the control module. If you can't get it sorted the Citroen way, just hard wire a power supply direct to the motor with some switchable resistance in series to give you the speeds you want.

Cheers, Ken

Cheers, Ken
    GreenBlood and shanadoo like this.

Fellow Frogger

Xsara 1 1.6 isn't it? Pre-BSI systems, so a fuse box in the engine bay and under the steering wheel I think. If it had voltage to the blower, you'd blame the blower module on the fan unit like Berlingo and Xantia. Our old friend 644178. There is a 35A black plug-in relay shown in the parts diagram, but I can't tell you where it is. You may have some luck by removing the glovebox liner for access as the fan is usually hiding in behind that.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Xsara 1 1.6 isn't it? Pre-BSI systems, so a fuse box in the engine bay and under the steering wheel I think. If it had voltage to the blower, you'd blame the blower module on the fan unit like Berlingo and Xantia. Our old friend 644178. There is a 35A black plug-in relay shown in the parts diagram, but I can't tell you where it is. You may have some luck by removing the glovebox liner for access as the fan is usually hiding in behind that.

Thanks David I have the dash and center console out but access is still limited. The fan is mounted from the bottom up and can be accessed from under the glovebox side without removing anything. [Mirror and torch job]
    Mine is 1999 N1 1.8 petrol automatic with manual and auto climate control. The ECU is mounted as per my post above and is about the size of an Apple X phone.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Tony,

What is is your RPO and VIN number. PM me if you like. I will try top get my SEDRE going to get you a circuit diagram and parts location diagram.

It is most likely the control module. If you can't get it sorted the Citroen way, just hard wire a power supply direct to the motor with some switchable resistance in series to give you the speeds you want.

Cheers, Ken

Cheers, Ken

Thanks ken will do.
    Now here's the thing, After trying several hot wire configurations, only one seems to work. With that the speed control works also but the jumper wire get very hot very quick, too quick to be used even with a resistance in place I think. Problem is it's back-feeding the supply system I think [ie supplying the relay circuit instead of the other way round].

Hi Tony,

I guessed at an RP of 8000 - pretty close hey!

I finally got the SEDRE working again last night.

It looks like the full blower motor 8045 current goes through the ignition switch and F20 as on the Series 1 Xantia. There is a relay in the circuit 8048 that is located lower RHS of steering wheel - see install diagram F. There are electronics integrated into the blower motor that look similar to the Xantia setup. In fact the whole climate control system looks very similar to a Xantia setup.

Let me know if you cannot read any of these or have any further questions.

Cheers, Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xsara air con problem help needed-air-con-wiring-af.jpg   Xsara air con problem help needed-ac-install-af.jpg   Xsara air con problem help needed-ac-whole.jpg  
    GreenBlood and shanadoo like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Ken. Moved pics to MS Office. I can do whatever from there. Only had a quick look but I've found 3 relays down on the firewall RH side of column thanks again. Looks like seat removal to get the access needed. Got the resistor pack out of the motor and dangling on the wires. Easy to test like that. Uncliped one relay and now I can't get it back. Will post results of the latest effort from when I read the diagrams later today.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thread Information