• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Balouk
  • 1 Post By Halfbrick
  • 1 Post By Halfbrick

Thread: A Little C5 help please

Fellow Frogger!

Default A Little C5 help please

I'm back on the C5 steering wheel electrics again. You may remember my early posts about problems with the lighting/blinkers. My dearly beloved has been driving around without high beam as since I got that problem sorted & put it back together the high beam/flashers don't work. Also the rear washer/wiper won't play the game either. After many hours stuffing with this I now have high/low beam rear W/Wiper still no go BUT when I have the steering wheel back on, airbag connected & do a final check, when I reconnect the battery the horn is permanently blaring away. Doesn't matter if I have the key in or not, nothing makes any difference. I know that the connection of the "strip wires in the comm 2000 is critical as it took me ages to get it in the right position to get the h/low beam issue fixed. Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong?. cheers Dave

Advertisement
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Did you reconnect the earth wire in the steering wheel centre maybe wire floating and connected to power lead?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your reply dimistyle The wires at the s/wheel are 3 main cables that connect to the airbag ( can only go one way) & small black wire that goes to a terminal in the body of the wheel & then to a terminal at the back of the airbag, or have I got that wrong. Thanks Dave

That's 100% correct. So does the horn go off with the s/wheel center removed?

Ah, the haunted steering wheel problem. Dimistyle is on the right track. From memory, look at the back of the airbag module. You’ll see a melded shape indented into it. This is where the horn connection slots into. If you don’t slot the connector into that space, the connector “roams” free and jams up against the back of the airbag module - which is the same as you pressing on the horn from the front.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by Balouk; 16th April 2018 at 02:55 PM.
    Greg likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

So, having another go at it. There is only 1 connection at the back of the airbag for the horn wire. I have disconnected the horn wire at the airbag, no difference. I have tried disconnecting the horn wire at the airbag & also at the earth point on the steering wheel, with both disconnected the horn still comes on. I am now thinking the problem may be in the connections in the comm2000 which I have had apart a few times.

Fellow Frogger!

I think I know where the problem is. I pulled out the comm2000 , disconnected the flat wire ( 6 contacts from memory) from the light connector on the circuit board & reconnected in a slightly different place. all back together and no horn when battery connectedlow beam ok , high beam ok, won't go back to low beam blinkers ok but horn beeps when you put the blinker on So , me thinks it's a matter of getting the wire in just the right place. so it's in bits on the kitchen bench again. Rang local Citroen repair shop to ask if there is a trick to getting it right, just patience he said & they won't touch them, obviously been burnt before. Patience is not in abundance around here at the moment. cheers Dave

Fellow Frogger!

A follow up on this problem which may be of help to someone else. I tried for hours & hours over many days to get it to work & it was so frustrating. Drove me nuts!!!!. Anyway, the problem was made worse because my car had a problem in the lighting switch & the one out of my "spares" car had a dodgey wiper switch so I had no choice but to open up the Comm2000 & change switches & I believe that getting everything in EXACTLY the right place is critical. Hence, everytime I put it back together there was a different set of problems. In my case getting the wire from the lighting switch into the exact position in the connector was the issue. In the end I managed to fluke it to the point where almost everything works OK but not the rear window wiper/washer which does not work no matter what I do. NOTE, when I put the Comm2000 back together & installed in the car the H/L beam change was a bit dodgey but seems to have corrected itself with time. My advice is, If you have a problem with the comm2000 don't mess around with it just buy a good 2nd hand one & replace the unit as a whole. It's a relatively easy thing to change over. cheers Dave
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Oh Crap, it's at it again. Now it's high beam all the time & won't even turn off with ignition so have to disconnect the battery to turn the lights off. Does anyone have a comm200 complete unit suit S1 in good order. Whole unit must work as the problems really happen when pulling it apart. Cheers Dave

Fellow Frogger

You need to be specific about the type of Comm unit you want. It could be Delphi or Valeo and some models vary the specification. What sort of C5 is it? The V6 I'm fairly sure has a different comm unit to the other models and some very early cars lacked a rear wiper. You can't assume a comm is simply a comm!

There is a feature of the BSI that puts it into a backup mode when it loses communication with an item such as the comm. You then get low beam and intermittent wipers all the time, but this is possibly not your problem as you have high beam on. The engine slave/fuse box can also let you down.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reply David, Our car is a '02 2ltr petrol Vin vf7derfne76225406 whereas the spares car I think is an 03, same configuration. I couldn't pick any difference between the 2 units, the one I have in front of me know has COM2000 E7N ? Peugeot citroen insignias underneath & dated 12/10/01. Does that help at all? cheers Dave

Fellow Frogger

I don't have one and they are expensive to buy new - you could buy another spares car for the price!
    By VIN, it wants a comm unit with the part# 6242F9. it's described as:

A Little C5 help please-c5_comm_early.jpg

There would also be a 96... number on the case and that's what many will quote when selling off parts of a C5. If you put that into eBay, you might turn one up used. New is going to be the most reliable option if you plan to keep using the car for some time.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm still hunting around for a replacement unit & have put out a request on "Findapart" but does anyone have other contacts of Citroen wreckers . cheers Dave

I think the Peugeot wreckers in Lowood QLD have a V6. This comm2000 should have aĺl the functions including ESP which the Peugeot versions dont have. Their on gumtree

Fellow Frogger!

I got one through Findapart ,sent him the vin on mine & he says all # match & is from a lot k'lm car so hopefully it will work. Cheers Dave

Fellow Frogger!

Got the "new" comm2000 unit today & all looks good however the black connector at the back is very slightly different. The connector on the wires has a little lug on one side which prevents it going in but everything else looks the same. The new one has cruise control which the original did not so maybe that's the difference. Would it be ok to file the lug off & would that mean that I would then have C/C or would the whole thing go KABOOM !!!!! Good G*d I'm so over this, Hyundai's are looking attractive. Cheers Dave

One part of me says use the file and give it a try - the risk taker side.

The other part says get a circuit of both and check the pin outs of both are similar and interchangeable. - this is the engineer side

And fwiw making the CC work is likely camel through the eye needle stuff.

Good luck , regardless which option you choose.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Everything I have read on the comm2000 is that if you fit a later or version with extra features like rear window wipe, C/C, auto lights, auto wipers the features will NOT work. I nemmver worked out which colour plug does what but if all the other plugs are correct and only black one is different then possibly leave it disconnected test all functions. You then can decide if little lug should be cut off.

Fellow Frogger!

So the final outcome is that without the black connector in everything works as it should except for the radio. Great, so cut the lug off, plug in & the radio works as it should. I don't think the CC will work but that's ok. Cheers Dave
    dimistyle likes this.

Great news Dave.

Fellow Frogger!

Interestingly the rear power windows don't work anymore😕 WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    Interestingly the rear power windows don't work anymore�� WTF?
    I doubt that is related to the com - have you checked the drivers door switch for activating/de-activating the rear windows is set active?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information