XM Engine Cover Mounts
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM Engine Cover Mounts

No response from Parts for Sale / Wanted, so trying again; surely somebody has a spare one of these rubber mounts laying around.

WTB XM V6 Engine Cover Mounting Rubbers

Advertisement

Regards,

John

Fellow Frogger

If it helps, it's part 156584, but marked NFP. Also used on the PRV version of the 605. I'd like another one too. I may eventually have to make it from urethane.

I think there's meant to be a clip in that hole you were asking about to secure a wire/cable nearby. The sort that expands with a push in centre. See what's nearby and flapping around. I can't check my car at present.
    Last edited by David S; 12th April 2018 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks David, I was thinking of adapting an other vehicles fixing method (C5?) utilizing the tapped holes in the fuel rail if there is enough room. Not sure how it sits as front lugs/tabs were missing (broken)
    And, as for hole - nothing loose nearby.
    Any 3D printers use the appropriate grade urethane /rubber?
    Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If it helps, it's part 156584, but marked NFP. Also used on the PRV version of the 605. I'd like another one too. I may eventually have to make it from urethane.

I think there's meant to be a clip in that hole you were asking about to secure a wire/cable nearby. The sort that expands with a push in centre. See what's nearby and flapping around. I can't check my car at present.

Fellow Frogger

Mine has nothing inserted in the mystery hole now that I've looked. The same part is used on a 605, so there could be something else there for a 605. The 605 cover is probably the same part except the badge is different.

Since the XM's engine cover plastic is now old and brittle, it's really a case of needing to sensibly rework the mountings a little. I was intending to replace a missing lug at the front with a screwed on strip. Perhaps, copy the major part of the bush you have in plaster and inject Sikaflex into that. It will take some time to go off, but it's a low cost solution. Glue it into place and it should work. The extended part with the small stud is just so it clips into place without any glue.

The covers on later C5s usually have 4 of 5 rubber sockets that slip tightly over studs with a ball on the end. So, each ends up being like holding a ball in a glove. Possibly too much effort to adapt it.

David, with no lugs nor the front mounting plate on mine, I had no idea how it was fixed until the visit to Roger Wilkinson upon which I was able to pick up one intact.

Here is the C5 2.0 HDi engine cover retainers. The head is about 28 mm dia and the actual retainer is rubber (vibration absorber) 25mm long (between seating/mating faces).

XM Engine Cover Mounts-img_4791.jpg

The head clips unto the specially shaped spigot and is retained by a couple of spring flats within the head. Push on to retain, rotate 90 degrees to pull off.

I had a quick look at it this afternoon and I reckon it will work with C5 engine cover holders.

It will require a couple of brackets per fixing. One simple flat for fixing to the fuel rail for the C5 rubber holder and a further bracket for fixing to the XM cover. A little bit of design will be involved to determine just where to place them utilizing the same holes that the small stud of the original mount secures to the cover.

The C5 locates the cover fixings within the cover and hence no lugs to snap off. However the diesel does shake a bit and hence the bond between the rubber and the screw fails (the reason that I have a couple of spares).

Regards,

John

Mine has nothing inserted in the mystery hole now that I've looked. The same part is used on a 605, so there could be something else there for a 605. The 605 cover is probably the same part except the badge is different.

Since the XM's engine cover plastic is now old and brittle, it's really a case of needing to sensibly rework the mountings a little. I was intending to replace a missing lug at the front with a screwed on strip. Perhaps, copy the major part of the bush you have in plaster and inject Sikaflex into that. It will take some time to go off, but it's a low cost solution. Glue it into place and it should work. The extended part with the small stud is just so it clips into place without any glue.

The covers on later C5s usually have 4 of 5 rubber sockets that slip tightly over studs with a ball on the end. So, each ends up being like holding a ball in a glove. Possibly too much effort to adapt it.

Fellow Frogger

No, avoid that system. They are forever needing replacement and it wasn't used beyond the early HDi.
    The ball and rubber socket I meant is what is used on the V6 and most later models.
    Just improve the existing system by supporting the two front lugs if they remain present and find some kind of rubber block at the back.

Not sure that that would be an issue on the V6 David as I've replaced 2 in the last 9 years and that includes one that was missing when purchased. This C5 has travelled almost 250K kilomwetres (with an AL4 touching wood) and no way will the XM be subjected to that sort of use.

Nevertheless, I concur that 2 rubber blocks would be the way to go; what sort of urethane would be suitable? A sikaflex product cartridge caulking compound suitable for windscreen? As you correctly stated curing time would not be an issue.

Regards,
    John

No, avoid that system. They are forever needing replacement and it wasn't used beyond the early HDi.
    The ball and rubber socket I meant is what is used on the V6 and most later models.
    Just improve the existing system by supporting the two front lugs if they remain present and find some kind of rubber block at the back.

Thread Information