Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 3 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 2 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: BVH Gearbox Life

Default BVH Gearbox Life

Hello everyone,

I've got a BVH gearbox here - 127k miles and came from a driving car (that was driving really well) - I'm looking to use this in an upcoming project car where I'm going all out and doing everything to make the car as 'new' again as possible.

All things being equal (don't know the service history) - what it likely to need doing in a box of this mileage? I won't be doing huge mileage (maybe 1000 miles a year), but I would like it to drive really well. I'll be disappointed if it's noisy or the change is not sweet.

The options I see are;

1. Pull the covers and the axles, reseal and check everything - perhaps replace front and rear top bearings with good second hand or new where needed but not mess with it too much to ensure I don't disturb the crown wheel and pinion settings. If it's not broke don't mess with it kind of thing.

2. Put a kit through it (HML sells one), replace all bearings, synchros and seals and take a punt nothing too much changes with the crown wheel and pinion setting.

The advice I've received so far is the box should be fine as it is and to not fiddle too much despite the mileage as the crown wheel and pinion wear into a comfortable position, changing this with new bearings etc. can make the box noisy.

I'm also a little concerned about the seals in the cover - are they easy to change (should you bother...?) and do you disturb the piston throw (important to select gears properly) when changing them...?

I want a top quality box at the end of the process, but don't want to disturb what I think should be a good gearbox on the basis that it's done a highish mileage. If it had half that mileage I would not be doing anything.

I would also like to avoid 'going back' and pulling it out later so doing what needs to be done to get it 'right' now is the priority, rather than a throw it in and a suck it and see approach.

Option 3 is to source a box from HML which is really really tempting but if I can use what I have here already it means the much needed $ can be spent elsewhere.

It would also help to know what mileages people have on their BVH box and what they have done (if anything).

Many thanks in advance,

Advertisement

Mark....
    Vincenzo likes this.

Assess the bearings by feel before you disturb the pinion shaft. Inspect all gear tooth faces including the CW&P. It is likely to be in excellent condition at this mileage. Replace the synchros etc as per the kit, and then run the gearbox with Nulon G70 as an additive. It should be very smooth and quiet.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Many thanks Gerry - I really appreciate the advice.
    I know these gearboxes are robust - but the BVH's I've owned have all been much lower mileage than this one.
    Are the synchros likely to need doing - or is it just being thorough....? The bearings have to be disturbed to do them....
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Disturbing the bearings is not a problem provided cleanliness is observed and the same bearings and shims ( in relation to the pinion setting are used ). You could take a punt on the synchros being OK but prudence dictates a change if the box is to come apart in any way. I assume you are talking about a BVH from a late D!
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I would have expected a BVH to have fantastic sychros .... because the driver has never been able to abuse them !!
    FIVEDOOR, Vincenzo and Greg like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I would have expected a BVH to have fantastic sychros .... because the driver has never been able to abuse them !!
    Not necessarily, (at least in the USA). If the BVH controls are not set properly (clutch re-engagement especially, but also a leaky slave cylinder failing to disengage the clutch completely) you can get plenty of abuse of the synchros.

Do NOT take the pinion out without having the tool for checking the pinion depth. This must be set to within a few tenths of a millimeter and it is always a good idea to check it before you loosen the pinion retaining nut/speedometer drive gear so that you can put it back in the same position (regardless of the markings on the end of the pinion).
    Vincenzo and Greg like this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Yes I'm talking about short stroke gearboxes (post 66).
    So in terms of not disturbing the pinion position can you simply note the position of the speedo nut, disassemble, replace synchros and reassemble ensuring it is tightened to exactly the same position...?
    Some advice i received was to set the pinion position to what it was rather than the spec as they wear into a position.?
    Cheers
    Mark...

Unless something was really wrong before removal the difference between what it was before removal and the etched on measurement on the pinion end face will be infinitesimal. If there is a major variation there is going to be something really wrong!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information