• 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By Demannu
  • 1 Post By garyk
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Doing the timing belt on a C5

Default Doing the timing belt on a C5

Hi folks,
    I am a Peugeot enthusiast but I know someone with a C5, 2004 model V6 , and the car has broken its timing belt at 100,000 Ks.

Advertisement

I have heard that C5s are really great cars, and he may want to sell it to me for a good (as in very low) price. But I am apprehensive about opening up a can of worms, as I am only really familiar with Peugeots and other cars....I have never worked on a Citroen. I have however replaced a timing belt on a Mitsubishi Magna (2000 model) and rebuilt varoius older Peugeot engines.

Is the timing belt a difficult job on C5s for some reason ? And will the valves be bent ?

Moreover, the car was well-maintained. Why on earth has the belt snapped ?

Oh....and a 2004 C5 wouldn't have an AL4 gearbox, would it ?
    Last edited by Beano; 9th April 2018 at 09:39 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Age. Has the belt ever been changed? Possibly not with very low kms.
    The crank damper has a habit of eventually falling apart and can kill the timing belt as a result.
    You will probably find bent valves as a result. A fair amount of work ahead if you take it on. Maybe look for used heads.
    ZF 4HP20 4 speed auto gearbox, not AL4. It has it's own issues, but you can't test drive as is.
    Mechanically the same as a 407 etc. V6 using the ES9, but a little different to the earlier version used in 406/605/Xantia and XM.
    Greg likes this.

Beano there was a wrecker in Ashmore with a V6. Might be an easier option for a complete engine or head.

Are you looking at the grey c5 on Gumtree? Looks well maintained

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by dimistyle; 9th April 2018 at 10:59 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

The valves will be bent. It will not be too hard to put new ones in, but there should be plenty of $500 engines to slot into it, which will be an easier option, so long as the computers match.

Hmmmm....food for thought.

It's this car : https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5354454/?Cr=8

Thanks for your replies, gents. I am tending to lean away from it now, as the car market generally is such a buyers market at the moment.....and I feel like I would be opening a can of worms by working on a marque I am unfamiliar with.
    jaahn likes this.

Unless you are looking for a car for yourself, I wouldn't bother.

Car $500, replacement engine $500, a whole weekend of your time, plus the cost of a safety certificate and registration, and you still have a car that would only sell for $1500-$2000 anyway.

Mark, do you remember that bluey silvery one that I had? Took ages to sell and I virtually gave it away in the end. I now don't buy anything older than 10 years old if I'm planning to on-sell.
    Greg likes this.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

A good C5 is great, but that one is probably not worth buying.
    I've had the series one (a 2002 and 2004) but I'd suggest the 2nd series (2005- 2007) as being better versions.
    Sure, get one that has had the timing belt sorted (about every 100,000km).

The engine is also used in Peugeots (and maybe others).

The C5 is an undervalued car in the second hand market, and a very fine thing.
    I know a dealer who sells lots of Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc, but has a personal soft spot for the C5 and the occasional Peugeot (407, etc).

Try one if you haven't done so.
    Greg likes this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Unless you are looking for a car for yourself, I wouldn't bother.

Car $500, replacement engine $500, a whole weekend of your time, plus the cost of a safety certificate and registration, and you still have a car that would only sell for $1500-$2000 anyway.

Mark, do you remember that bluey silvery one that I had? Took ages to sell and I virtually gave it away in the end. I now don't buy anything older than 10 years old if I'm planning to on-sell.
    Thanks Scott......I will take your advice. And I had forgotten about that car you had.

In fact it has only been in the last few days that I have realized how much of a buyers market the car market now is.
    For some time now it has been flooded with older cars with relatively high mileage, and the occasional bargain. But having kept an eye on it for some time, I took my eye off it for a month or so.

Now I have seen a fair few low kilometer cars for very reasonable prices. I'm talking about 2002-2007 cars which have only done 50 to 80 thousand Ks, being sold for about $3,000. Probably after rego or new tyres, a total of $3500.

Quite a few sellers are of course still trying to sell cars with 200,000 Ks for the same price or higher.

I guess that it only takes a few disappointed sellers to suddenly face reality and put their prices down to do this to a market. Then that builds momentum.

Fellow Frogger

2002 is now 16 years old and 2007 is 11. In used car terms, these are old and could have had several owners by now, not all of them caring. They often have little commercial value, even if near immaculate and properly serviced, which is how you really want to buy them. Others are cheap for a reason and have expensive problems being masked and passed along the ownership chain.

Look at the volume of new cars and particularly the number of expensive cars sold in the last decade and there is a wave of good cars coming through into the used market. Older cars with problems are just not that attractive. Remember, the earlier C5s can also leak from steering and front suspension piping harness and those are expensive jobs to address. It's probably more economical to buy a good one to begin with. If the price of this car is low enough and you want to play, buy it and pull the heads off for inspection. It may only need a couple of valves, some gaskets and timing parts. It's just a fair amount of work involved.
    Last edited by David S; 11th April 2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Greg likes this.

I'm convinced !
    I'll pass on this car, spend a bit more and get something really well looked after.

Thread Information