Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.

Icon5 Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.

Folks, this one has me puzzled.

A few years ago I replaced the bushes in the power steering ram and all seemed to be OK. However during last year, the steering gradually got heavier and heavier to use. I put more air pressure in the tyres, but that didn't seem to help.

Then it sprung a leak in the power steering flex rubber tube and started squirting copious quantities of LHM on the ground and over the gearbox whenever you tried to go around a corner. With Cit-in coming up and lots of work to do on the SM, it has sat in the garage for 3 months feeling sorry for itself.

Now that Cit-in is over, I decided to try to fix it. I have replaced a section of the rubber pipe with some transmission cooler hose. At first it just popped off the metal supply pipe (lost a litre of LHM here) and then when I clamped it on better, it popped a hole in this rubber pipe as well.

It seems to flow OK when there is no steering effort but as soon as you try to turn the wheel, the power steering pump seems to labour under very high pressure but it doesn't help to steer the wheels.

Any ideas what is going on here? I am wondering about pinion valve or ram problems.

Advertisement

I suppose I should replace the bit of hose first so I can start the engine to get it up high, then put it on stands and get right back under to the steering gear and have a look for anything obvious there.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

Maybe, time for a pinion seal kit?
    Is the flow divider doing it's job? It won't have a separate steering pump and is very much like a BX in the steering department. Have you had any rubber debris in the system?

Typical Xantia. Only goes wrong when it is so old that the parts might be a problem.
    David S likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

The pinion kit is very similar if not shared with BX/XM and was available recently for a sensible price. I expect it remains available to order by part number. The flow divider is not hard to re-seal, but it does need adjustment and tooling to get the pressure control right.

Hi David,

It is the last of the Series 1 from 1997 so it has a 6+2 pump which allows it to pump out heaps of LHM when the pipe pops. At least it is a bit simpler.

I had trouble with the valve leaking about 2005 and it needed a hone to stop the leak and a few kits fitted. It is still not leaking but does seem to have stopped working. It does have nice clean LHM in it from a year or so ago. No other indications of rubber contamination in the system. I might look for a second hand one to practice a recon on.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

OK, 6+2 system then. I have a few spare loose pinions, but there is some variation and I couldn't be sure they would be exactly what you have. Maybe, look for a whole rack? A whole spares car may be easier to find.
    There is also a pinion service kit that is basically some cones for fitting up.
    The pinion kit listed for BX, XM1, XM2 is 4048Q8. I can't see it listed for the Xantia, but I expect it's the same.
    A couple of models seem to have a pressure limiter in the block that houses the steering pressure sensor. This may be absent in yours.

I think PSA Service Box reports my valve as a 4048H7 which I saw listed somewhere else as a pinion valve for RHD. Thanks for the seal kit part number.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Folks,

I am looking for someone with a parts Xantia - a late model series 1 between RPO 7127 and 7510 ie 1996 or 1997 that has steering intact and is willing to part with their pinion valve. Any offers out there?

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger

That pinion appears to have been used on earlier RHD Xantia 1 cars to RP 7510 (1/6/97) with 6+2 pumps, but not on all models, but some of the exclusions were not sold here. For your quoted range it suits:
    RIGHT HAND DRIVE EXCEPT TURBO INJECTION XU10J2TE EXCEPT TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE EXCEPT INJECTION ES9J4)
    So a wider range than you may be thinking. I have some spare used pinions, some of which came from Xantiae, plus a Xantia rack. If you can get some photos of the pinion and it's connections, I'll see if I have one that matches. It may be best to remove the rack so you can clean and grease it, although you can do a pinion overhaul with the rack in place.

Have you checked the support piston and spring beneath the pinion are OK? I had a broken piston on a CX, so it's not impossible for them to crack.

Thanks David,

I will take some pictures of the pinion valve in-situ tomorrow. I took a good look at it all today and I have been trying to work out what is going wrong. It appears that when the valve is in neutral position - no steering effort, the LHM path though the valve is unimpeded as the 6 piston pump generates no pressure. But as soon as one moves the steering wheel either way, no LHM seems to go to the rack but the straight through path is closed off and the pump generates extreme pressure. The only thing I can think is that the pipe going to the large area side of the RAM is blocked or not being connected to either the return or supply side lines in the pinion valve as required to move the ram in the direction required.

Either way I will have to replace both rack boots and I have two new tie-rod ends to fit as well as I noticed the beginning from some play there when I replaces the RAM bushes back in 2015. So I guess I should take the rack out anyway.

Cheers Ken W

Here are some pics of the suspect Pinion Valve in situ in all its sweaty glory. It is amazing what pics you can take with a mobile phone so long as you can hold it and get your finger onto that 'take a picture' button.

Cheers, Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.-pinion-valve-3.jpg   Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.-pinion-valve-2.jpg   Series 1 Xantia Power Steering very heavy and blowing rubber pipes.-pinion-valve-1.jpg  

Fellow Frogger

I have a used pinion that looks like that externally at least. You'd need to compare it with the existing pinion when you remove it, but it's presumably the right one. There is a valve under the screw-in adapter in the picture.
    pm a postal address if you want me to post it.

Thread Information