Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By dcc236
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: 07 c4 surging

Tadpole

Default 07 c4 surging

Hi. Im new to these pages, but after having a look around, what a great place. I've just bought a c4 picasso 2.0 hdi last week and what a beautiful car. Except for one issue. Surging at light throttle openings. Ive plugged my snapon scantool into it and have no codes and all live data looks as expected. The car starts straight up and idles smooth with no issues. Its only at around 1600-2000 rpm that the surging happens. Ive swapped the maf sensor with no difference. Unplugging the maf gets rid of the issue but is definitely down on power when unplugged. Ive checked all the vaccume lines and have no leaks. Im leaning towards an egr being stuck open or at least not functioning correctly. The car only has 110000k's on it. If you back off the throttle or accelerate harder the surging stops and it doesnt feel like it's down on power, just the annoying surging.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Which 2.0 HDI engine is fitted? RHH or RHR? Digits 6-7-8 of the VIN will tell you.

The RHR is the earlier, aka the DW10B. RHH is the later DW10C. They have quite a few differences, including the EGR arrangements,

Tadpole

Rhr 6spd auto

You need to fit a egr restrictive plate available every where on eBay
    David S likes this.

Fellow Frogger

If you have eliminated other possible faults and the surging is the sort that might gently rock your head back and forward on a very light throttle and at stable speed, yes, the EGR plate may be the fix. 8mm hole. Blocking it off is not desirable and a larger hole doesn't have the desired effect.

The EGR valve can also fail. Either head of the valve drops off or the actuator arm breaks away from the stepper motor spindle.
    Greg likes this.

Tadpole

I've just ordered a blanking plate. What type of electrical plug is on the egr? Does it have a retaining clip or is it just a standard plug like the maf. I plan on unplugging it to see if this makes a difference. I realize it will bring up the cel

Tadpole

So the c4 didn't like having the egr unplugged at all. Had handbrake fault, esp fault, reduced performance message. Wich come to think of it, last night while leaving the bmx track, upon startup i got the same fault WITH the egr plugged in. Cleared the faults and its back to normal (surging) this leads me to believe it is indeed a fault with the egr.

Hi,

As David has already stated, the EGR is not an uncommon problem on the 2.0 HDI you have. Our old red wagon had it fail twice in 300,000 K's but the replacement the first time was a used unit from a wreck. The first failure, the head of the valve completely dropped off.

I'm not sure that blanking off the EGR is going to fix your problem, and certainly driving around with components unplugged isn't a good way to find the faults.

If the EGR is damaged, and give faults to the BSI, the only way to resolve the problem is to replace the EGR!

You Snap On scan tool is probably pretty useless in this situation, and you need someone with Citroen Diagbox to do a global test to see what's happening.

I found that EGR problems don't correct themselves, they get worse!

You can probably pick up a new unit for just over $100.00 on Ebay (plus postage) from the UK, or try EAI.

I can give you the part number if you come back with the last 8 digits of the Vin.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Tadpole

No faults showing for the egror anything else. Gave the car a service today. Oil and all filters. Also fitted the egr blanking plate with 8mm hole. What a transformation. All surging has gone and the difference in power is amazing.

Hi Ash,

What you don't realise is that you haven't fixed the problem, you've just covered it up.

To fix the problem, you need to replace the EGR valve?

If you had a leaking brake calliper would you replace the seals, or just block off the calliper. All these backyard fixes have a tendency to come back and bit you on the arse!

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

If it's surging, it is probably an Uber.
    Ash76 likes this.

No the egrs can still surge with a new valve the plate is the best fix
    Ash76 likes this.

Thread Information