Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By 3CV

Thread: Intro and help please ..

Tadpole

Default Intro and help please ..

Hey folks ...

My name is Greg and my wife and I live on Bribie Island, Queensland ...

I was sniffing about trying to find some leads on 'Google' when I happened upon a link to 'Aussiefrogs' ... so here I am

We have owned quite happily, a 2012 Citroen C5 1.6 litre diesel sedan (Australian variant) since early 2014. IMO, so much so, it is without doubt one of the best cars I have ever owned and nor do I intend selling it any time soon. Some of the others in this similar category would include a 318 BMW we used to have and then more recently an A6 3.2ltr Audi saloon we used to have whilst still being based in Dubai.

Please bare with me as from what I can gather this is a pretty common problem with the Citroen range ...

I'll put my hand up straight away as being the cause of this problem. I am a lower left leg amputee and have not been lifting my leg as high as I perhaps should when entering or exiting the drivers side of the car. As a result that drivers side lower rubber door seal (much to my surprise) has worn through ..

Can you folks advise the best place to economically buy the replacement rubber drivers side door seal? Is there a better aftermarket variant? Or is it pretty much the domain of the OEM style of manufacture that we are stuck with.

Advertisement

To me, the thickness of that strip is ridiculously thin and again IMO definitely not suited to the task ...

Cheers and thanks in advance ....

Greg, hey welcome to aussiefrogs, years of fun and entertainment await ...

ed

1000+ Posts

Welcome Mr Fatenhappy (I love the name).

There are two seals, one fitted to the door under the door card, and one fitted all around the cabin opening, running across the sill. For clarity I assume you mean the latter.

A dealer is a source. You might be better served by a local wrecker, as it doesn't normally get much wear, and also look at UK eBay where there are plenty of sellers of small parts. Some of us use European suppliers for light parcels, and Mick's Garage in Ireland might have them.

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hi Greg and Welcome.

Does your C5 have hydraulic suspension ? I hear some 1.6ltr do. If it is the case , have you tried lowering the suspension when entering and exiting the car? Would make it easier on you, and cause less wear as well I guess.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

a little later, when brain had engaged, it occurred to me;

Greg, if this is likely to be an ongoing issue, perhaps knocking up something a bit heavier from parts available at any wrecker might last longer, until the car needs to be returned to original when ready for on-sale?

ed

1000+ Posts

C5s are silent partly because there are two door seals. One might as well get one that fits, as it runs very visibly around the entire door opening. I've noticed them on UK online sites.
    Fatenhappy likes this.

3CV

Default Damaged door seal

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    I'll put my hand up straight away as being the cause of this problem. I am a lower left leg amputee and have not been lifting my leg as high as I perhaps should when entering or exiting the drivers side of the car. As a result that drivers side lower rubber door seal (much to my surprise) has worn through ..[/COLOR]
    G'Day Fatenhappy I am looking for same seal around the front door opening and finding it difficult to get one from local wreckers but I am still looking. In your case this sill protector might be a solution.
    Intro and help please ..-universal-sill-protector-12-p%5Bekm%5D298x298%5Bekm%5D.jpg
    I bought one for my C5 Tourer to protect the rear bumper as I load a wheelchair in and out. Jeff Gosling was supposed to send one with the hand controls but left it off the order. Now this has gone astray they are sending another one. If I end up with two I'll let you know.
    Last edited by 3CV; 7th April 2018 at 05:50 PM.
    Fatenhappy likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Hi Greg and Welcome.

Does your C5 have hydraulic suspension ? I hear some 1.6ltr do. If it is the case , have you tried lowering the suspension when entering and exiting the car? Would make it easier on you, and cause less wear as well I guess.
    No mate it does not ... so can't raise or lower the suspension ...

Hi Guys,

Firstly, this is a common problem, even for able bodied people. I also put a post on recently re the damage than happens to the passengers side door seal when you change the pollen filter.

I can get a new seal for $139.94 + postage. PM me. It's the same seal as the original, so you could have the same problem.

One way is to turn on drivers seat welcome, if it's fitted to your car (probably not on your model). It puts the drivers seat into it's most rearward position when you turn the ignition off, and back to where it was when you turn the ignition on.

You can do this manually, and it should help your entrance, and egress?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thread Information