C5 Mk1 drivers window repair kit needed
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JAJEA

Thread: C5 Mk1 drivers window repair kit needed

Default C5 Mk1 drivers window repair kit needed

Ok now I've had 2 problems in 2 weeks so will start with the above.

Went to wind down the drivers window and weeerrr clunk occured tried again and window wound down but no longer up....great for security.

Anyway finally worked out how to take off the door card and sound insulation to find a couple of cables tangled and mangled.

So pushed glass up and made a couple of wooden spacers to hold the glass in place no sweat.

So I see you can buy replacement cable kits from uk which come with a regulator wheel and also a full set with the rails.

Which is the way to go and which is the easiest to install.

Would it even be worth buying secondhand me thinks not...

Anyway last week the starter motor gave up but this was a easy swap.

I think the vehicles age is showing....

Any advice appreciated

Advertisement

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

dimistyle, I would not hesitate to get hold of "second hand" components because you have the opportunity to thoroughly inspect before installing.

As for replacements parts / repairing kits, I have purchased from Dis-Auto Parts previously albeit for an Audi and the item delivered was identical to the item removed but without Audi logos.

Great deals from DIS AUTOPARTS | eBay Stores

I would not hesitate to use them for Citroen parts should the need arise.

(As with all things on "on line" there are errors galore - I think that on the specific site I copied the link to shows one item in the 1,000 of dollars whilst the similar items are tens of dollars - bloody computers is all I can say! Don't choose the 1,000 dollar item).

The problem you described, I believe is the cables going askew on the what I call the "winch" drum from my engineering back ground.

John

PS: I don't believe you re the issue with security with the window down on a C5 - weather yes, security no.

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Ok now I've had 2 problems in 2 weeks so will start with the above.

Went to wind down the drivers window and weeerrr clunk occured tried again and window wound down but no longer up....great for security.

Anyway finally worked out how to take off the door card and sound insulation to find a couple of cables tangled and mangled.

So pushed glass up and made a couple of wooden spacers to hold the glass in place no sweat.

So I see you can buy replacement cable kits from uk which come with a regulator wheel and also a full set with the rails.

Which is the way to go and which is the easiest to install.

Would it even be worth buying secondhand me thinks not...

Anyway last week the starter motor gave up but this was a easy swap.

I think the vehicles age is showing....

Any advice appreciated

dimistyle likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Starters and window regs also failed when the cars were near new. Age is now part of the equation though.

If you have mangled the window reg cables and drum, you can sometimes straighten them up sufficiently and regroove the drum to make it work. The drum is only a guide for the cable. The pulling is done by the end of the cable being fixed inside a slot on the drum. You may be able to get away with just replacing the guide clip/glass holder, which is the most likely thing to have failed here. The cables are stainless, so shouldn't suffer from rusting as was fairly common with the XM and some others.

Yes weather was the issue I was more meaning all my gear inside the vehicle that school holidays usually encourage undesirables to take opportunity.

I have DSI on my watch list but may just head to the wreakers as I dont seen to have any broken plastic pieces as I was expecting like the old BX failures.

Thanks for all the advice

And oh yes Carlo5 had a good Mitsubishi branded starter which had over 210km so a good run by all means.

Dimi
    Last edited by dimistyle; 4th April 2018 at 12:21 AM.

Fellow Frogger

If nothing is obviously broken, the cable may have stretched enough to allow one end to fall out of the spring loaded slots at the motor. The cable needs to be just tight enough that the cable end and spring on the slack side can't fall out of the slot.

If you run it to the end of the travel (i.e. where window is fully up or down in the car), you find one spring will be fully compressed and the other very loose. If the slack end slips out, the cable will become tangled next time you try to go the other way. Most regulators have a tensioner block, so you need to adjust this appropriately.

Just be careful if you are testing the regulator out of the car as not all of them have a positive stop at both ends and it is possible to break something going too far along the track.

Ok taken a few months to installing the window repair kit, 1st attempt and guessing as can't find any instructions on setting it up.
    Found one glass holding clip had the cable holder cracked but not going to wait even longer for a spare part so some plastic welding skills to full lock cable in forever.

The question now is have I set uo the cables correctly with no slack when window fully down?

Any comments before I install and rivet back into place.

C5 Mk1 drivers window repair kit needed-1528602162157.jpg

C5 Mk1 drivers window repair kit needed-1528602172954.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Dimi

Thread Information