axle stands
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: axle stands

Tadpole

Default axle stands

Where is the safest place to place axle stands to raise front of a safari?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

If the body is sound, under the jacking points is quite OK. If it's rotten (and they can be very rotten inside) and/or you do not know if you can trust the jacking points, under the flat reinforced area slightly in and forward. Use some little pieces of wood to save the underbody from damage. However, absolutely not under the tin plate covers hiding the lower grease points for the suspension arms - be sure you are aware of them. Remember the weight is mostly at the front, so you always have to be mindful of this when raising it.

If it's a running car, then the back will drop alarmingly when you release the suspension system pressure, so stands under the sills at the back might also be a good idea. If it has sill trim, be very careful no to damage it.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What sort of Safari
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

'73 DS23.
    Yes it is running.
    Thank You for the help.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    What sort of Safari
    I don't know much about a Safari.
    Never owned one or worked on one, but I assume jacking would be the same as an ordinary D Model sedan. I agree there are lots of delicate spots underneath these cars. I say keep the jack right away from the underbody!! I have bent underbody panels and squashed headlight cable outers far ]too many times.
    I now have the jacking tool as descibed in the longstroke ID and DS factory manuals.. Just slides into the front jacking points . Easy to jack the car from the side without peering under the car trying to find a safe strong spot.
    Once the car is at the desired height, so simple then to slide the axle stand under the jacking point and Bobs your uncle! I got a mate who sells steel, to cut a piece of heavy plate to match the internal dimensions of the jacking point, about 300 mm long and weld a piece of 6mm plate under one end to to match the lifting head of a typical floor jack. So good!
    Most D models seem to have a tow bar.
    Thats the ideal place to jack the rear, then place the axle stands under the towing eyes on each side. David

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axle stands-1522660970134.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry the image is the compressor of an old fridge!
    I'l see is I can get a pic of the support tool.

Fellow Frogger!

This is the support tool fitted to the car.
    I hope we are discussing jacking a D model safary. Not a CX or something! axle stands-1522663027043.jpg

here's a diagram off net, I put front stands just in from the square bars that poke out of the chassis at line of end of front wings, block of wood to soften the effect. Works fine. Good to have stands that can go under in high and be pulled out when back in high. Otherwise jack to release.
    this photo shows points closer in. And DON'T get under it unless you are 100% it isn't going to slip. Shove tyres under car and leave a jack up where you are poking around to be safer.
    axle stands-9d8fea87-b751-4a62-b8f8-a194eca42715.jpg

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    here's a diagram off net, I put front stands just in from the square bars that poke out of the chassis at line of end of front wings, block of wood to soften the effect. Works fine. Good to have stands that can go under in high and be pulled out when back in high. Otherwise jack to release.
    this photo shows points closer in. And DON'T get under it unless you are 100% it isn't going to slip. Shove tyres under car and leave a jack up where you are poking around to be safer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D8FEA87-B751-4A62-B8F8-A194ECA42715.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	104954
    Those spot are ok'ish. The the axle shape of the stand head will mark it. You have the box member under the 'A' pillars as well. This is only to be used on non-rusty cars though.

DO NOT jack it front the front crossmember. Its not designed to carry weight and has pipes inside it!

seeya,
    shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

this is where I stick stands on mine in red.

axle stands-a767d0e8-a6a1-41a1-b5ee-6d15dbf3827e.jpg

Fellow Frogger

I wouldn't trust the rear towing eyes as they are at the extreme rear end, held on by a couple of spot welds and connected to sheet steel that's often compromised by rust. No tow operator would trust them either.

The spots marked in yellow are not great. The front boxes apparently suggest under the aluminium arm casings, which are both hidden by a tin closing plate. Further in is a reinforced flat section nearer the crossmember. On later models, you'll likely find the exhaust support in the area marked for the rear jacking points, but it is relatively strong there if the box between the axles hasn't rotted out.
    Last edited by David S; 3rd April 2018 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information