• 1 Post By kiamaian
  • 2 Post By kiamaian
  • 1 Post By Andrew Watkins
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: More CitroŽn 6 stuff

Fellow Frogger!

Default More CitroŽn 6 stuff

Have found original road test of Big 6

The Poms even had good things to say about it - not bad for a fairly parochial motoring scene

Advertisement

Andrew-citro%EBn-6-road-test-motor-sport-1.jpg-citro%EBn-6-road-test-motor-sport-2.jpg

for the new price comparison/context
    -motor-manual-3.jpg
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

The British were absolutely in awe of the Traction Avant. I have a number of road tests from the period. More can also be found in the Brooklands Books Publication 'Citroen Traction Avant 1934-1957' Then there is the Brooklands Gold Edition 'Citroen Traction Avant Gold Portfolio' which includes an article on WM-715 owned by yours truly!
    GreenBlood and Hotrodelectric like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    The British were absolutely in awe of the Traction Avant. I have a number of road tests from the period. More can also be found in the Brooklands Books Publication 'Citroen Traction Avant 1934-1957' Then there is the Brooklands Gold Edition 'Citroen Traction Avant Gold Portfolio' which includes an article on WM-715 owned by yours truly!
    Agreed. Both Brooklands books give the sense that there was a section of the motoring public wanted something a little more, especially post-war.

Had no idea WM 715 was yours. Goodonya!!
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Agreed. Both Brooklands books give the sense that there was a section of the motoring public wanted something a little more, especially post-war.

Had no idea WM 715 was yours. Goodonya!!
    Yes Bill. It was a great car. I did over 350,000 miles in it. Currently I am giving it the ultimate spare part, a new body shell. It will be reborn as a 1951 11BL but with all the good mechanical stuff that I had invested in the original. Sadly the original shell was accident damaged in the front left side and had begun to show major stress cracking. A new shell seemed a better fix than patching up the old one. I sold the remains suitably fitted with replacement mechanicals ( no way was I letting the good stuff go ) and the purchaser put the car back on the road. I still have those number plates but will probably get a Club Permit to allow limited use!
    Hotrodelectric and JohnW like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Yes Bill. It was a great car. I did over 350,000 miles in it. Currently I am giving it the ultimate spare part, a new body shell. It will be reborn as a 1951 11BL but with all the good mechanical stuff that I had invested in the original. Sadly the original shell was accident damaged in the front left side and had begun to show major stress cracking. A new shell seemed a better fix than patching up the old one. I sold the remains suitably fitted with replacement mechanicals ( no way was I letting the good stuff go ) and the purchaser put the car back on the road. I still have those number plates but will probably get a Club Permit to allow limited use!
    Is that a decent used hull or is someone actually reproducing them? I know someone here was actually making new Chevy '55-6-7 shells. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that some crazy Dutch Citroeniste was repopping the Traction.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default More Citroen 6 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Have found original road test of Big 6

The Poms even had good things to say about it - not bad for a fairly parochial motoring scene

AndrewClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CitroŽn 6 Road test Motor Sport 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	104673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CitroŽn 6 Road Test Motor Sport 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	104674
    I have tried to read the report but could not do so because of the very small size of the attachment.

Andrew would it be possible to upload the report again with an image of higher quality.

I am interested as I owned a 1956 Big 6 for a few years with hydraulic pneumatic suspension on the rear. When I was driving it I felt I was 'The King of the Road.' The steering was extremely heavy but the large diameter steering wheel helped. The front track was very wide which gave the vehicle great stability. The six cylinder motor was powerful for the era but used lot's of petrol. The area around the back seat was huge and the seats were soft and comfortable.
    JohnW likes this.

Good grief. MILES!! When did you sleep? That's a huge mileage.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Good grief. MILES!! When did you sleep? That's a huge mileage.
    It was my everyday car John! I used to drive it everywhere. Like Davy Crockets axe it had three new heads and now it is getting the new handle. Seriously though the mechanicals we redone with as many new parts as I could lay my hands on, particularly the gearbox and diff. The engine was fully balanced and attention paid to rocker shafts and re-bushed rockers as well as the more usual valves/seats etc. Front end was re 'silentbloced' including new spline pins and also new ball joints upper link-arm spindles and bushes, The list was quite extensive. Mechanically it was a gem, just tired in the body shell department.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by kiamaian View Post
    I have tried to read the report but could not do so because of the very small size of the attachment.

Andrew would it be possible to upload the report again with an image of higher quality.

I am interested as I owned a 1956 Big 6 for a few years with hydraulic pneumatic suspension on the rear. When I was driving it I felt I was 'The King of the Road.' The steering was extremely heavy but the large diameter steering wheel helped. The front track was very wide which gave the vehicle great stability. The six cylinder motor was powerful for the era but used lot's of petrol. The area around the back seat was huge and the seats were soft and comfortable.
    Pictures of my car taken in 1964 at Brisbane. The colour of the vehicle was dark green.

https://postimg.org/image/wlxifgs7v/

https://postimg.org/image/ninklyugv/
    Hotrodelectric and gerrypro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Is that a decent used hull or is someone actually reproducing them? I know someone here was actually making new Chevy '55-6-7 shells. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that some crazy Dutch Citroeniste was repopping the Traction.
    'New' meaning new for the car. It is an original 1951 Paris built shell. It is straighter than the old shell but needed rust repairs (replacement panels) to the boot floor, six inches of lower rear wheel arch supporting bumper reinforcement channels the panel between the boot lid hinges and the hinge support plates, all of which I had to make by hand as at the time nobody was producing repair sections. How lucky are restorers today when it is possible to purchase nearly everything needed to complete a car?
    I started the repairs to the body many years ago when the intention was to restore both cars. Time and common sense got in the way and now the task is to produce one example to the highest standard that I can achieve!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

HI , apologies for size

I have battled with various scans, jpg's etc to get it into a size which AF will digest

My original scans were quite legible

If you PM me an email to which I can send a bigger file I am happy to do so ( also for others )

Shall continue to work on finding a better way, as I have more stuff to upload, but the constraints of th esite are considerable ( I am not familiar with file sharing sites, which are apparently the best solution )

Have upgraded my Adobe subscription considerably , which may give more room to move

Best Wishes

Andrew

JohnW likes this.

Pictures of my car taken in 1964 at Brisbane. The colour of the vehicle was dark green.

https://postimg.org/image/wlxifgs7v/

https://postimg.org/image/ninklyugv/
    I also owned a 6H. It is now beautifully restored and living with its new owner in Shepparton!
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information