• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 2 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Citroen CX starting issues

Default Citroen CX starting issues

Morning all,

My venerable 1977 CX 2400 Pallas has been playing up since sitting for a few months. I got it going rather promptly with a jump and some fresh fuel and it ran well.

However on subsequent occasions (and for no reason i can decipher) when I go to start it, it will simply not turnover. I.e. it doesn't even sound like the starter is trying. There i plenty of juice in the battery.

On other occasions it simply starts immediately.

Advertisement

When it does not start, and I strain my hearing I can hear a click in the engine bay when I turn the ignition to start. This suggests to me that a relay or similar is playing up. Or could be the starter failing, but the starter is not making an noises when trying to start.

Given the inherent birds nest around the relays, I would be grateful for some pointers and or advice in trying to source the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

I would investigate your battery cables- both of them. Clean and tight. Make sure the cables aren't corroded. From there, check out the starter solenoid. It may be sticking. It's also possible that the starter itself is due for a rebuild. Any competent sparky can do a starter drain test.
    UFO likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

I suggest planning ahead for the next time it DOES start. Get it to full height while it's running and whack some stands in the right places to support the front of the car in the air - or even better if you have it - get it on a hoist. You have to get under the front of a CX to remove and replace the starter.
    Hotrodelectric and JohnW like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I suggest planning ahead for the next time it DOES start. Get it to full height while it's running and whack some stands in the right places to support the front of the car in the air - or even better if you have it - get it on a hoist. You have to get under the front of a CX to remove and replace the starter.
    I'll second that. A flat hydraulic Citroen is diabolically difficult to work on.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I'll second that. A flat hydraulic Citroen is diabolically difficult to work on.
    Those low profile racing trolley jacks are worth their weight in gold when working on a CX .
    Hotrodelectric and UFO like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information