• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: 1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working

Tadpole

Default 1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working

I have a 1975 Citroen GS Van and the fuel gauge is not working, it reads full all the time and when I switch the headlights on it goes to empty. My car has the tumbler speedo dash and I have noticed a spade connector behind the fuel gauge does not have a wire on it, I can't seem to find a loose wire anywhere, does anyone have a pic of there dash wired in? or know what this connector should be connected to.

Advertisement

Tony,
    is this any good?
    There are four connections, one for the light, a bullet connector as the earth and a pair of blade connectors, with those last two being colour coded to make life a bit easier...

1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-020.jpg

Tadpole

Thank you but my car has the other style dash with the tumbler style speedo and printed circuit board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
    Tony,
    is this any good?
    There are four connections, one for the light, a bullet connector as the earth and a pair of blade connectors, with those last two being colour coded to make life a bit easier...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	104604

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony trans am View Post
    I have a 1975 Citroen GS Van and the fuel gauge is not working, it reads full all the time and when I switch the headlights on it goes to empty. My car has the tumbler speedo dash and I have noticed a spade connector behind the fuel gauge does not have a wire on it, I can't seem to find a loose wire anywhere, does anyone have a pic of there dash wired in? or know what this connector should be connected to.
    Check the gauge PCB ground, make sure it hasn't broken. The way you describe, it's seeking a signal. Also, if you can get to it, check the connections at the top of the sender unit.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Not familiar with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) dynamics. Imagine this is your dash (but probably right hand drive). Ken H's photo identifies spade connector arrangements very nicely.

Are you able to provide a similar photo of the reverse side of your instrument panel, or is it still hooked up?

There are probably GS-specific version electrical diagrams available on the internet. Just got to now how to interpret them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-_02w8582%5B1%5D.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Tadpole

This is the back of my dash, my GS is a 75 LHD Van, for some reason it keeps up loading on its side the left being the top the dash. notice the spade connector with nothing on it. this is behind the fuel gauge. if I know what this should be I can trace it back.
    1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-img_8253.jpg

an earth on the gauge missing? no.6 is gauge. Thats off a RHD parts diagram, LHD image doesn’t show anything as such, can’t find a circuit diagram in Tony Jackson Dropbox files that gives sufficient detail.
    1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-b1443009-62d0-4958-bc0c-e4b4840a8e4a.jpg

it looks like everything going onto dash is positive and J28 (should be Yellow wire or sleeve) is the wire going onto gauge from sender.
    1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-a1e56a62-b919-4550-a8fd-b03994fc7da3.jpg

found what you might like to download God bless him,
    https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/

go to bottom of page and click on the GS list, 810-1 manual has all the wiring diagrams in electrical section. You may need to create dropbox account, can’t remember!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 28th March 2018 at 01:47 PM.

Tadpole

That terminal is live, I will try to run a wire from there to the sender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony trans am View Post
    That terminal is live, I will try to run a wire from there to the sender.
    Live as in how? Battery voltage with the ignition off? Voltage when the ignition is on? The sender is a rheostatic ground output. That means as the float changes position relative to the amount of fuel in the tank, the amount of resistance goes up or down, and determines where your fuel gauge needle is on he gauge. There is no positive or "live" source to go back there.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

having a wire between the gauge and the sender would surely make for some positive result?

: )
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    having a wire between the gauge and the sender would surely make for some positive result?

: )
    Certainly, that would be a desirable thing. But that wire does not carry battery+. It is a ground signal. The only + source at the gauge is from an ignition source to the gauge, not from it. Put a battery+ or ignition+ at the sender, and you WILL have problems, such as a dead short to ground, at the very least destroying the sender.

Edit:
    Sorry, Steven. For some reason I thought this was Tony's quote.
    forumnoreason likes this.

1000+ Posts

Personally, I wouldn't fuss about the "full" gauge not working; the "empty" gauge on the other hand . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't fuss about the "full" gauge not working; the "empty" gauge on the other hand . . . .
    That was coming....
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

I did some messing around and now I have screwed up the ammeter and the Rev counter. I have checked the four fuses in the wing and all are ok, I know rhd drive cars have 2 fuse boards and LHD 1 fuse board are there any other fuses on a left hand drive car?

Tadpole

I did some messing around and now I have screwed up the ammeter and the Rev counter. I have checked the four fuses in the wing and all are ok, I know rhd drive cars have 2 fuse boards are there any other fuses on a left hand drive car? An in line fuse for the circuit board dash.

Have a look at the repair manual!

p149 onwards for LHD.

1975 Citroen GS full gauge not working-9670d7d3-b169-4592-9cf6-46a8c43c8b1b.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 6th April 2018 at 09:07 AM.

Thread Information