Radiator fan resistor?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Radiator fan resistor?

Hi All,
    Seems Citroens like Berlingo, Xsara, C4 etc have these

Radiator fan resistor?-capture.jpg
    Has two wires, a coil and a resistor .
    Sits in from of the radiator area, in front of the A/C evaporator.
    Is anyone familiar with its function?
    I know the Berlingo engine has a sensor on the thermostat housing, it is a type that has varying resistance rather than an on/off function. These cars have handy computers that control such things.
    The setup on my car is supposed to have two speeds, low speed comes in around thermostat open temp (low 80s?) and the High happens at 118 C

My low speed isnt coming on.
    Anyone got clues to a solution
    Cheers
    Steve

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Steve
    I am not familiar with your model but I will speak from general knowledge.
    If there are two speeds and one fan and a resistor, it is probable the resistor(or circuit) is faulty. On high speed the fan runs direct on the full voltage. Those resistors do burn out commonly. Look at the resistor with a meter to see if is continuous and also the wiring connectors for burnt look. There would be a relay or two to switch it on to either low or high also.
    Jaahn

Hi Jaahn,

Thanks - that makes sense, will test ohms and try and track back to a relay somewhere, I think there is a fuses box in the engine compartment and one under the dash.

I have a OBD2 reader device and it shows the engine temp correctly, so I'm guessing the temp sender on the thermo housing is sending that and it is working ok.

Steve

Fellow Frogger

Take the cover off and from memory you will find a small disc thermal element that switches between direct connection and via the resistor. I do recall taking one apart some years ago, although I may be thinking of the innards of the unit from a C4. Sometimes, the crimp connections corrode. It's probably uneconomical to repair, but do have a look. Some cars like C3 have a similar looking thing for the cabin fan and there is one soldered joint that lets go, acting as a sorta thermal fuse. Other resistor packs may have a specific thermal fuse in them. Early Volvo 850 has a thermal fuse in the resistor pack, so no low speed cabin fans when it blows.

UFO

I replaced one in our C4 a few weeks ago. The instructions I found online indicated you had to take the bumper off - not too hard if you know how. But there is only one large torx screw that holds it in so a bit of deft manouvering through the top of the cover plate to the left of the bonnet latch should see you able to remove and replace easy. Sourced it from EAI - you will need to supply VIN.

Symptoms of failure were (and had been for a few years - can't rush these things). Warm days and when stopped in traffic the temp indicator would be sitting in normal range then all of a sudden BEEP BEEP BEEP and Engine Temp Overheat etc. Get moving again and very quickly the warning would go away and engine temp reading was normal.

Since replacement it has never happened. I also notice that on warm days after stopping the car the radiator fan will stay running for 30 to 60 seconds. It never did that before....

Another benefit is that the whining noise from the passenger or driver seat (dependent on location of Mrs UFO) ceased.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks David and spot on for symptoms UFO.
    Bumper on the Berlingo has 13 or so torx screws and a secret handshake required to remove! The crazy thing is under the bumper there is only bird spit and fuzzy bungs holding the whole car together!
    Cheers
    Steve

Thread Information