• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dinkum

Thread: C4 - 2012 - Climate Control - Heater

Tadpole

Default C4 - 2012 - Climate Control - Heater

My C4 heater blows little hot air.

Advertisement

I have pulled it apart and checked the flap servos and they appear OK.
    The pipes into the heater core get very hot so all appears OK in that area.
    The Air Compressor does turn off with the air con switched off.
    The controls seem to work correctly - at least visually.
    I have disconnected the battery to reset the air con computer. (guesswork only)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was a mechanic (or muckanic) many years ago when heater cables and the like were a joy to behold !!!

1000+ Posts

Check the heater resistor. It it fitted to the side of the unit. Plenty of UK sellers will show you a picture.

Tadpole

Thanks Seasink for you super fast reply.
    I will venture under the dash again but will probably get seasick!!

Is it a fan speed problem - not enough air coming through in any mode?

Did it used to work OK and now it isn't?

I presume this is a C4B7 not a series 1 C4. They were notorious for stripping flap gears that the servo gear keys onto.

The climate control systems these days don't flood you with mountains of hot air like the car of the last century did, they mix the hot and cold air to get a more measured approach warming the interior. Do you know another C4 2012 owner that you can compare notes with?

Cheers, Ken

Hi Guys,

If it's automatic climate control, then it may not let you have really hot air, depending on what temperature you have it set on?

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Tadpole

Thanks Greg

Yes I might be expecting too much heat, so I will compare with another C4 / B7

Regards
    Paul

Tadpole

Hi Ken

The fan is OK and I presume the resistor is only for the fan.
    Yes its a C4 B7 and all the flap servos are OK.
    Yes, I guess I am on a wild goose chase so I will compare with another C4B7.
    Thanks very much for your help.

regards
    Paul

The heater core is blocked

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Good one.......
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

No seriously is the engine a ep6 on 308s with the same heater core we do heaps even through the diesels are the same the eps seem to block them up

Tadpole

Thanks for all your help folks.

After blindly checking all the bits and pieces including the servos and the heater matrix, I cleaned out the cool-ling system with cleaning additive and we now have some heat. Probably not full heat yet.

My guess it that the thermostat housing contains a heater solenoid tap that's controlled by the CPU. That's how I read the wiring diagram I found in an electronic workshop manual that fell off the back of a truck. Any way I think this solenoid tap was stuck closed and the cleaning has unstuck it somewhat.

There are still some doubt with all this but at least I now have usable heat without replacing the thermostat housing.

So maybe we should operate the heater controls from time to time to keep them free
    jaahn likes this.

Tadpole

Hey Dinkum and everyone else that's contributed. Sorry to revive a slightly old thread.

Partner and I just bought a 2012 C4 B7 NA 1.6 petrol. It too throws very little heat from the heater

Fan blows hard and variable. Temp control knob definately works between hot and cold. Air con works perfectly.

I pulled it apart this afternoon. Tried something different as the coolant looks to be fairly new I didn't want to dump and waste.

I sucked the coolant from the matrix from the firewall inlet/outlet using a hand pump as initially I was going to remove the matrix from the car and didn't want to flood the interior.

Instead I pumped some alkaline salt radiator cleaner into the matrix and let it sit. Then flush with hose again (it appeared to run clear). Repeated process. Then pumped out tap water. Pumped in coolant. Replaced hoses and clips and started it up

After bleeding the air from the bleed valve and getting steady flow of coolant..replaced the cap and continued adding coolant.

Now there's a little more heat than before but I wouldn't say hot it's probably to the touch 24-25c... but with aircon on for demisting probably around 18-20c - cold enough for the gf to complain. Both inlet and outlet pipes into the matrix get hot to the touch touch ( removed the side panel from the passenger footwell.)

Could this require a matrix replacement or do you think there's another element that could be causing the low heat.

Interesting though. It came with a half a litre bottle of nulon coolant in the boot which makes me think it's either been replaced recently or it's been run low in the recent past.

I only sucked out about 150ml or coolant from the matrix. But on refilling.. I've used about 2l making me think it had air in the system that Ive now bled from the bleed valve.- could this have caused the initial problem? (Assume it's been running to temp but with no temp gauge difficult to say)

Any assistance. Advice is greatly appreciated before I go order a new matrix.

Tadpole

So. After a couple of days of driving around.. it's actually come good! We had to turn the heater down. The car now gets toasty warm. Demister works instantly.

Now I'm not sure if it was the clearing of the matrix or potentially clearing air out of the cooling system (or combination)

What I can say is a massive thank you to everyone that's provided information in this thread (and a few other forums) to get some answers to rectifying this issue.

1000+ Posts

Re the bottle of coolant: The EP6 engine in early cars had a problem with leaks from the water pump and thermostat housing. Most were fixed by dealers. A check with the VIN at a dealer's computer will tell you if yours was fixed.

The C4 B7 is a delightful car and compares more than favourably with the competition of that size. I'd rather take one on a trip than an equivalent Golf.

Tadpole

Thanks for that. I'll definitely keep an eye on the coolant level. I've been inspecting around and under the thermostat and haven't seen any leak but will continue to monitor it.

It's no rocket. The gearbox seems to hunt around for gears a bit...But as for comfort...I don't think I've sat in more comfortable front seats.

1000+ Posts

The small number of petrol manuals imported are a better fit for the 88 kW engine. I presume yours is a 4 speed auto (coded AL4 - much here about servicing them). The more up-spec cars used a 6 speed box with the EGS self changing device, which could also be manually changed with the paddles.

The turbo version is a goer with torque on tap from low revs. All B7s are quite softly sprung.

Thread Information