C5 Wheel noise.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: C5 Wheel noise.

Default C5 Wheel noise.

Hello Brains Trust,
    I have a 2004 HDI C5 which I've had for a year. When I picked it up there was an odd noise from the rear (I think from the rear). I've now driven this car daily including a return trip Melbourne/Brisbane so this odd noise may not be critical. But, it is annoying. I've had a few goes at trying to track it down now without success. New tyres have not had any effect.
    Although not loud it is noticeable and is the most obvious noise at speed over and above wind rush etc. For all the world it sounds like a dry bearing but even after several hours fast driving there is no heat noticeable. If I corner to the right the noise is enhanced a little and when I corner to the left it diminishes.
    It is speed dependent, not engine or gearbox dependent, knocking the car into neutral at speed does not change the sound.
    Noise direction can be hard to trace, I know but it certainly sounds like it comes from the back end.
    When rolling to a halt the noise almost seems to pulse, exactly as you would expect from a collapsed bearing.

The car is otherwise a good daily driver and I am going to have one more go at tracking this down. All suggestions as to how go about this welcome.

Advertisement

S.F.

1000+ Posts

A set of "chassis ears" (microphones) would help! Failing that someone in the back seat to try and pin point the site. Don't overlook a brake pad or loose caliper or play in the disc.
    David S likes this.

Fellow Frogger

The rear caliper bolts on older C5 were fitted with a veritable bath of Loctite, so if someone started to undo them and gave it up as a bad joke (it is) a caliper could well be loose if they failed to retighten properly. Certainly have a look.

Wheel weights catching on the caliper is another good one to trick you, but should have been cured by the tyre change.

If the rear arm bushes have had it, you could even have a rear alignment problem. The tyre wear might show that.

Otherwise, what else is there? Something hanging down and vibrating in the rush of air? Loose heat shield? ... bearing?

Fellow Frogger!

Could be one of the rear wheel bearings on the way out, depends on the km covered or if it has been damaged by a pot hole impact. Ours was hard to find the noise source until it was on the edge of failure, even then it was the opposite bearing to where the sound seemed to be coming from. On disassembly the bearing exhibited spalling fatigue degradation of the outer race at approx 300K km.

Tadpole

Hi .My 2002 C5 V6 Developed similar noise at approx 95ks.Took it to my Citroen man.Drove around block.Said change rotors rear.Did that .No more probs.,Sold car at 167ks.Noise had never come back.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers John.

Thanks All.
    Now fore-armed I'll have a good look tomorrow and report back.

S.F.

Hi Guys,

I think David hit the nail on the head, and it is the rear arm bearing gone.

On the C5 Citroen fitted two big bushes on either end of the bearing, so that when they collapse, which they will do, sooner rather than later, the arms don't lay over as they did on the Xantia.

Consequently the bearing can be collapsed for some time before you realise, as the arm will now be pivoting on the bolt and bushes.

The secret to good life for these bearing on replacement, is to over pack them full of good grease.

On the C5 changing the bearings is a fairly straight forward job.

I have the factory tool to remove the inner bearing cups.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thread Information