Do you want to buy a C5X7 Exclusive but not a Diesel - here is your chance.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By Greg

Thread: Do you want to buy a C5X7 Exclusive but not a Diesel - here is your chance.

Icon4 Do you want to buy a C5X7 Exclusive but not a Diesel - here is your chance.

Folks,

I have put this car up on Aussiefrogs For Sale Forum.

For Sale: Citroen C5X7 Exclusive 2011 Sedan Petrol 46000km

It has had work done and has a current Queensland Safety Certificate.

Cheers, Ken

Advertisement

UFO

A 1.6 turbo with hydraulic suspension. A bit of a rarity.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Ken,

Collectors car I don't think......sorry, not with 1.6

The 1.6 litre engine is a pretty problematic engine:

Timing chains too small and thin that they skip teeth, and exhaust valves carbon build up so bad that the end up clogging the inlet manifold and the engine won't run.

Then you have to remove the manifold and try to clean the valves with an abrasive air gun, and then scrape the rest of the carbon buildup from the valve with scrapers etc, where the gun can't reach, and the spray the whole lot with a liquid that dissolve the abrasive grit that's in the cylinder head.

No thank you?

Anyway engine is probably just too small for a relatively heavy car?

Why would you bother, give me the diesels any day. The 2.0 HDI is pretty bulletproof, and the V6s, while a little more difficult to work on, and a few extra niggles, make the C5 an awesome motor vehicle.

Best regards,

Greg
    UFO likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

It's certainly not common in Exclusive form and, when new, offered the same car for a significant saving versus the HDi versions. Most of the 1.6lt cars were not the Exclusive version and so had coil springs and a simpler specification. Don't forget it is a turbo EP6 and rated at 156hp. They actually get along adequately, but the engine has to work a little harder and shuffle through the lower gears more quickly than the cars with larger engines. It won't be for every C5 buyer and while it does lack the HDi's torque, it will give someone a pleasant driving experience and may suit someone with a diesel aversion.

If you know about the EP engine issues, you can mostly manage them, importantly with a head cleaning spray with each service - think the Subaru Seafoam product or similar. This is not an invasive or involved procedure like the decoke with abrasive media. It's a common direct injection issue where the breather feeds vapour back into the inlets and there is no petrol to wash the film away. So it builds up over time on the valves and that eventually knocks performance. For that reason, an Italian tune-up doesn't work well on these engines unfortunately, but routine use of the foaming sprays can help.

The timing gear has been a moving feast over time and there have been different versions of the chain, tensioner and guides. Ken, you might want to see if the car has any outstanding service campaigns. It may not. If they were performed recently, then that should give some confidence to buyers that a few potential problem areas have been addressed. If there is still one for the timing gear / tensioner, I'd be wanting to sit on them until the chain stretches and rattles before cashing it in. Otherwise, you get to keep your existing chain, tensioner and other bits with only an adjustment performed.
    Last edited by David S; 19th March 2018 at 09:47 PM.
    Greg likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Is that 1.6 engine the same as the "Mini" engine ?? Just curious !
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

Similar, from the same stable. It is also used in DS3s and Pug GTi models. The first version was a joint effort. Think of a BMW type head on a PSA block.

Hi Guys

The 1.6 litre engine was a joint venture between PSA and BMW, but I'm told that there is very little PSA in the engine design.

Mini no longer use the engine, which I think says something in itself..........When fitted in the DS3, the engine is a power house, and some of its problems can be overlooked, because it adds so much to the vehicle, but in the C5 where the diesels are so frugal and so much power, why would you go there?

They are fitted to some DS4s, the Picasso (not Grand), and other PSA vehicles.

The diesels were a joint venture between Ford and PSA, and predominately PSA engineering? Consequently the engines are on the whole very reliable.

The V6's were built in the UK by Ford, and the 4 cylinders by PSA.

Best regards,

Greg

Best regards,

Greg
    jaahn likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

I have an X7 C5 with the 1.6 THP. Had a few little niggles early on which were promptly sorted with the field campaigns and has been great, reliable car.

On the whole, itís lighter on its feet than the diesels and thus a better handler. The 1.6 THP is a sweet, characterful and peppy thing. Doesnít mind a rev and yet donít underestimate its low down torque either (albeit less than the diesels). It feels like a much larger engine. Honestly, my fatherís 2.5 litre Camry four works harder. Wafts along adequately.

Around town, revs seldom exceed 2500 rpm in day to day driving. Got a fruity, characterful exhaust note too!

Itís dealer serviced but do apply the Subaru foam cleaner before it goes in.

I do live driving it (and thatís saying something as my other car is a 2015 Megane RS275 Trophy).

With the kids now grown up and in their own cars, have thought about down sizing but honestly everything we have tested has not been as good to drive. So we have holding on to it.

This car is still for sale and has a valid Safety Certificate in Queensland.

Cheers, Ken

I have driven one of these (Exclusive too) with 2 all up in the car. I found it drove very well at normal driving (no spirited driving) and gave little away to the HDI. Unless you drive around with 4 people in the car or a small caravan on the back I think most would find it a very adequate car from a power perspective and way above average of course from a comfort perspective.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thread Information