Looking for screws
  • Register
  • Help

Default Looking for screws

Hi all

Advertisement

Im in the process of dragging my Ď69 DS20 BVH out of a three year hibernation, and among several other things on the Ďto doí list I am searching for a single (or set of four) of the M5 x 35mm bolts that clamp the two halves of the BVH CRC together. Note that these are an unusual thread pitch of 0.75, rather than the more common 0.8 pitch. When I inquired at the local bolt specialty outlet they just laughed and wished me luck!
    I had a look on some of the usual Cit parts suppliers website and it seems that they donít stock them either?
    I had this unit overhauled a few years ago but it would seem that they werenít torqued up tight enough as one had fallen out and the remaining three were loose.

Would anyone happen to know where I could get some of these screws, or even perhaps have any used ones laying about in their box of tricks?

Many thanks

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

You should add an M5 x .75 tap and die to your tool set. I regularly make M5 x .75 nuts out of standard M5 x 0.8 nuts by running the tap through them. Since you only lose one thread every 12mm the difference in holding is pretty nominal. You can either tap the CRC for M5 x .8 or run a die down some standard M5 bolts to make them work.
    Last edited by citroenthusiast; 20th March 2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo - M5 not M8
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

m5 x 0.75 is the early ds/ID thread pitch. Any earlier id19 wreck should have these bolts! Possibly your car has early DS19 parts retrofitted to it
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    m5 x 0.75 is the early ds/ID thread pitch. Any earlier id19 wreck should have these bolts! Possibly your car has early DS19 parts retrofitted to it
    Its possible that this CRC came from a ‘67 that was used as a donor for some bits by a previous owner. Unfortunately, these days I don’t have ready access to a stack of old D parts!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    You should add an M5 x .75 tap and die to your tool set. I regularly make M5 x .75 nuts out of standard M8 x 0.8 nuts by running the tap through them. Since you only lose one thread every 12mm the difference in holding is pretty nominal. You can either tap the CRC for M5 x .8 or run a die down some standard M8 bolts to make them work.
    Good tip thanks, I might just end up going down that path?

JBN

If all else fails, try Der Franzose in Germany.

John

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Some thread pitches never changed. The CRC was threaded M5 x .75 throughout production, as were the spare tire support retaining bolts.
    Last edited by citroenthusiast; 15th March 2018 at 03:24 AM.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Don’t want to hijack this thread but would anyone know a nut & bolt supplier who sells M9 bolts?
    Or maybe setscrew blanks onto which I can cut a thread with an M9 die?
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Donít want to hijack this thread but would anyone know a nut & bolt supplier who sells M9 bolts?
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Marc,
    bolts or setscrews?
    There are only a few M9 fasteners on A series Citroens, so the choice of lengths from that source is limited.

Shorter ones.
    https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/screw...d0d8449c008b52

& longer ones.
    https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/bolt-...d0d8449c008b52

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Donít want to hijack this thread but would anyone know a nut & bolt supplier who sells M9 bolts?

Hi Guys,

As as previously stated, the pre '70 - 71 cars (approx) all had 5 x .75 thread. They are easy to tell as the height of the head is much shorter than the later .8 bolts, and all will have the chevrons in the head.

Grinding the end taper off your 5mm sockets and 5mm spanners so the end is perfectly flat will ensure a better grip on the thin head, and help stop rounding them off.

7mm bolts all had 12mm heads, not the 11mm on later cars, and the 7mm nuts were also 12mm and taller than the later nuts.

The change was gradual, as was the change from silver zinc to the later zinc and gold brite.

On some parts on the DS the .75 thread never changed at all, and went through to the end of production.

You can get .75 die nuts and taps cheap online, as John has wisely suggested.

I can supply you the bolts that are missing, come back to me with your requirements.

For 9mm bolts and all later bolts look no further than Der Franzose. You guys have got to stop buy parts from the UK and paying ridiculous freight. Generally everything comes from Europe so the prices have already been marked up and more expensive.

If you have money that you want to throw away, then send it to me instead of UK post? ROFLOL

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thread Information