Seek advise on ID21F + VIDEO for share!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Seek advise on ID21F + VIDEO for share!

Default Seek advise on ID21F + VIDEO sharing

Dear all,

Thank you for all your replies on the last topic, I gave up on that idea due to complicity and apparently no one in Hong Kong can deal with that!
    I encounter some more important issues now, I have to fix these issues to get it on road legally in Hong Kong!

Advertisement

1. May I ask if there are official anchor points for rear seat belts in the 1967 ID21F? As the government needs supporting documents to prove that the seat belt is effective so that it can carry 4 people leagally
    The current seat belts are mounted here as showed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	104418

2.I would like to fit a reverse light to the car, is it possible to combine the lights and brake lights into one light bulb and free up space for reverse lights? Like they did in later models? If not, what aftermarket solution looks the best on the safari? Any recommendation?
    Left: Current taillight without reverse light Right: Later model with reverse lights

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	104419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamedaaa.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	104420

3.I want to change the interior mirror to a correct one, but the mounting point on the dashboard seems to be broken, I want to know if a dash-mounted mirror can still be installed?
    Left: Mounting point current condition Right: The mirror I would like to fit

Name:	dgg.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	104421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vdsv.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	104422

4. The speedometer shows only miles/hr now, HK government requires a km/h speedometer, I want to know where can i find one for my RHD ID21F? Or if any of you have spare parts for sale?
    The dash I have now

Name:	svvdv.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	104423

I am looking forward to your advice and I hope to get it on road as soon as possible! Thank you so much!

Best regards,
    Kelvin

I would like to share this video I filmed, hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/eblk9hikeMs
    Last edited by kelvinmingxd; 14th March 2018 at 07:20 PM.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kelvin. greetings from the UK. I can't see your photos, but the video is great!
    Attached here is a diagram that shows the seatbelt mounting points in a Berline - not a Safari. Not sure it's going to answer your question but it might give you some ideas. Note that the eyelets have reinforcing plates to add extra support to them.

Seek advise on ID21F + VIDEO for share!-ds_seatbelts_drawing.jpg

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

2.I would like to fit a reverse light to the car, is it possible to combine the lights and brake lights into one light bulb and free up space for reverse lights? Like they did in later models? If not, what aftermarket solution looks the best on the safari? Any recommendation?
    Left: Current taillight without reverse light Right: Later model with reverse lights

I can take a shot at this one:

Yes, it is possible, but why? Depending on what you have, not only will you need to change out the globe socket (1157 to an 1156) but the wiring will be a pain in the rump, and the performance won't be at all that good. You'll be better off installing a dedicated lamp under the bumper. Common on upper spec later Ds. Being a '74, does your transmission have the reversing switch in the nose cone? If not, wiring up a dash switch (in this case, preferably one with an 'on' indicator) is fairly simple.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 14th March 2018 at 05:05 PM.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Alrighty- I opened my mouth before knowing all of your plight. I went and looked at your video (very nice) and saw you have a Safari. I was assuming sedan. This puts your changeout question in a different light. So! Yes, you can do as you propose , dependent on three things: 1) of course, Hong Kong says it's OK 2) you still have brake and tail lights when this is all over and 3) you can source clear or white lenses. I still think a dedicated lamp would be the better, easier way to go. But the answer is yes, it can be done, since you have spaces enough in the light clusters. Just be aware that you will still need to change the socket from dual to single contact, and the rear fender wiring will need a second pair of hands to help with the fender.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Hi Kelvin. greetings from the UK. I can't see your photos, but the video is great!
    Attached here is a diagram that shows the seatbelt mounting points in a Berline - not a Safari. Not sure it's going to answer your question but it might give you some ideas. Note that the eyelets have reinforcing plates to add extra support to them.

Name:	DS_Seatbelts_Drawing.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	104385
    Thank you so much, I have this diagram too, but the HK government need a diagram of Safari. I do know that some later model in some countries have fitted with the rear 3-point seatbelts, but need to find out an official document about it. Also, I am trying to find pictures of safari with rear seat belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Alrighty- I opened my mouth before knowing all of your plight. I went and looked at your video (very nice) and saw you have a Safari. I was assuming sedan. This puts your changeout question in a different light. So! Yes, you can do as you propose , dependent on three things: 1) of course, Hong Kong says it's OK 2) you still have brake and tail lights when this is all over and 3) you can source clear or white lenses. I still think a dedicated lamp would be the better, easier way to go. But the answer is yes, it can be done, since you have spaces enough in the light clusters. Just be aware that you will still need to change the socket from dual to single contact, and the rear fender wiring will need a second pair of hands to help with the fender.
    Thank you, this is very useful!

Fellow Frogger!

Mirror: Yes. You should be able to take off the broken base plate and put a pallas mirror there if you want to. But you will need to get inside the dash to remove the nut holding the broken base plate. i think you may be able to do this by removing the Map pocket/ radio and sticking your arm inside? if not, the other way in would be to take out the panel that holds the instrument cluster.

Mirror: Yes. You should be able to take off the broken base plate and put a pallas mirror there if you want to. But you will need to get inside the dash to remove the nut holding the broken base plate. i think you may be able to do this by removing the Map pocket/ radio and sticking your arm inside? if not, the other way in would be to take out the panel that holds the instrument cluster.
    Thank you! I will have to change the cluster as well, so they can be done at the same time

do I need another base plate to install a Pallas mirror or the mirror comes with a new base?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinmingxd View Post
    Dear all,

4. The speedometer shows only miles/hr now, HK government requires a km/h speedometer, I want to know where can i find one for my RHD ID21F? Or if any of you have spare parts for sale?
    The dash I have now

Name:	svvdv.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	104423

I am looking forward to your advice and I hope to get it on road as soon as possible! Thank you so much!

Best regards,
    Kelvin
    A bit rugged but you may be able to swap speedo into your beezle

For sale km/h CITROEN DS 21 PALLAS 67

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    A bit rugged but you may be able to swap speedo into your beezle

For sale km/h CITROEN DS 21 PALLAS 67

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks, but it seems to be sold already

Icon11

Thanks, but it seems to be sold already
    oops, sorry I didn't notice it had found a home - we'll keep looking

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Also, I want to know that if I should put the suspension into its lowest setting before turning off the car if the car won't be used for a long time (e.g. half month), or should I just leave it in the normal ride hide and let it drop naturally?

Also, I want to know that if I should put the suspension into its lowest setting before turning off the car if the car won't be used for a long time (e.g. half month), or should I just leave it in the normal ride hide and let it drop naturally?
    You can do either, but leaving the car in normal won't hurt a thing.

What a beautiful car and thanks for the video. Regarding the reverse lights. As you may not have the fittings for the reverse light switch at the gearbox, a simple reliable solution is to mount a generic long arm micro switch under a convenient bolt on the gearbox housing and use a battery clamp or simular on the selector shaft to close the switch when reverse is engaged.

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

I like the idea of a microswitch. I'd probably go the anal route and try for some sort of weather shield. And I would recommend a 10A fuse and a relay to shut the lamp off automatically if, by some chance you leave the car in reverse while parked.

Encounter another problem now!
    As there is no hazard light fitted, I have to fit it by myself.I read some article on the internet, and I'm still quite confused on what should I buy to make it work, can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

Fellow Frogger!

Not done it myself but you should be able to get plenty of advice here. There is also an official Citroen technical update sheet that tells you how to wire-in hazzards to a DS

Does the Hong Kong government not make any allowance at all for classic cars under the law? Or is this a case of an overly bureaucratic official needing a donation?
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Speedo converter? Seek advise on ID21F + VIDEO for share!-60fb5449-8797-40e4-8043-3026e70c59d0.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Still no response to your question about how to fit hazard lights? While you're waiting for the good advice to roll in, have a look here:

DS Hazard switch and temperature gauge etc
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Encounter another problem now!
    As there is no hazard light fitted, I have to fit it by myself.I read some article on the internet, and I'm still quite confused on what should I buy to make it work, can anyone help me on this?

Thanks
    Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. I was busy having eye surgery.

It's a pretty easy thing to install on a D. If you need help, PM me. Budge's instructions fairly well cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    Speedo converter? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60FB5449-8797-40E4-8043-3026E70C59D0.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	104646
    Do you have a link for that? I want to have a look at the other pics before I actually say something. The one clear pic looks like a speed generator for an early electronic speedo.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. I was busy having eye surgery.

It's a pretty easy thing to install on a D. If you need help, PM me. Budge's instructions fairly well cover it.
    Kelvin's car has the older dash and so the older stalks. Different functions and different wiring connections. I couldn't find a hazard light wiring diagram for the mid period dash.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information