C5 x7 wheel size vs comfort
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: C5 x7 wheel size vs comfort

Default C5 x7 wheel size vs comfort

Having a 2011 C5 with smaller diameter wheels and more rubber the car seems to ride far more comfortably than our last release C5 wagon with the larger diameter wheels with lower sidewalls. Is the harsher ride in the wagon due to changed settings in the suspension or could it be the wheel/tyre combination? I could change the wheels between the two to obtain the softer ride - if suspension settings aren't in play.

Advertisement
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

When I bought my 2008 C5X7 the agents told me that the 17 inch wheels we the most comfortable, the 18 inch wheels were almost as good but not to go near the 19inch wheels because the ride was much harsher. Maybe you can find a set of 18 or 17 inch wheels at a wrecker to swap out the 19 inch wheels. You can't have my 5 x 17inch wheels though.

Cheers, Ken

Hello Ken,
    So you have swapped the larger rims for the 17"? Assuming the stud patterns are the same on my two C5s I already have a set of smaller rims!

I'll just need to get new tyres for the 17" as they are nearing replacement time anyway. Whom so ever buys the C5 sedan will get flash rims with new tyres.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Hello Ken,
    So you have swapped the larger rims for the 17"? Assuming the stud patterns are the same on my two C5s I already have a set of smaller rims!

I'll just need to get new tyres for the 17" as they are nearing replacement time anyway. Whom so ever buys the C5 sedan will get flash rims with new tyres.
    I don't believe you have volunteered the size of wheels on the newer car.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

UFO

Mine has 18s and I asked Continentals to swap the 18s for 17s as I wanted the extra rubber between us and the road. Bill didn't want to play.

C'est la vie.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

17" on the sedan and 18" on the wagon
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Fellow Frogger!

Off topic a bit because it’s not a Citroen.
    A near new Pug 2008 came delivered with 40psi in the tyres, presumably because it was driven on local streets near the dealer and they wanted a sports feel.

After taking out 9psi we are comfortable with our gravel road.

So maybe there’s room to play within the specs of the tyre placard

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    17" on the sedan and 18" on the wagon
    I went from 19" to 18" on my latest C5. Not much different. Having had 17" on a comfort wagon for 50k km, I can't say there is little difference either between 18" and 17". I do a lot of computer work in the car (not driving natch!) so I am quite piccy in the comfort stakes. I certainly wouldn't change from 18" for ride reasons.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

If the wheel size really makes that much difference, I would interested to try the 18s on my car.

I have a 2010 HDi Confort with spheres, and the 225/55-17 Primacy 3 ST tyres, which I generally run at 36psi. It is the slushiest car I have ever driven, and with the vaguest steering I hasten to add. All Japanese (and Korean) cars that I have driven recently have better steering.

You know the old American cop shows where the 23-foot long car pulls up and the driver gets out and has some 5-minute monologue, and the camera pulls back to show that the front of the car is still rebounding? Mine feels like that.

And that is on the sports suspension setting. It is not uncomfortable as such, just a bit disappointing. Am I expecting too much?

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    which I generally run at 36psi.

And that is on the sports suspension setting. It is not uncomfortable as such, just a bit disappointing. Am I expecting too much?
    If it behaves as you say with those tyre pressures and in sports mode, I suggest you get it checked, because that's definitely not how they feel.
    My current C5 is my fourth, and none of them felt like this. As a matter of fact the C5 is probably the firmest of the Citroen hydraulic
    lignage over the years.
    gregogo likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

we drove quite a few before buying an x7 with 18's on it. in my limited experience those on 17's had a more compliant ride than those with 18's.
    17's (assuming standard tyres) have 12 mm more height in the side wall.
    i find the 18's are quite good, ride of a c5 is exceptional.

Not all tyres are equal. IMHO Continentals are Very stiff for anywhere outside a billiard table. Switching to something with a softer shell and sidewall like a Michelin (PS3/4) or Pirelli (Dragon Sport), or maybe even a high end Toyo (yes really) would noticeably improve the ride. Continentals are known for their jarring and stiff ride.
    Tyres can make a bigger difference than wheel size.

Iíve gone from 17 to 19 thanks don and itís much better it always felt sloppy and I had a Reno 20 so I know about sloppy

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    If the wheel size really makes that much difference, I would interested to try the 18s on my car.

I have a 2010 HDi Confort with spheres, and the 225/55-17 Primacy 3 ST tyres, which I generally run at 36psi. It is the slushiest car I have ever driven, and with the vaguest steering I hasten to add. All Japanese (and Korean) cars that I have driven recently have better steering.

You know the old American cop shows where the 23-foot long car pulls up and the driver gets out and has some 5-minute monologue, and the camera pulls back to show that the front of the car is still rebounding? Mine feels like that.

I don't know why you just don't get a Peugeot. I have exactly the same setup and I love it. Maybe you need a front wheel alignment because the steering on mine is light but not vague. I can pick exactly the bit of road I want to drive on.

Cheers, Ken
    Ceenine likes this.

Thread Information