C2/C3/206 Throttle fail
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C2/C3/206 Throttle fail

Hi Cit fits,
    After much ado with my Lexia I managed to repair my c2s sensodrive. However celebrations were short lived as now the throttle pedal is all but dead. Lexia points to throttle body. Replaced both pedal and throttle body with known good units. No change. Cabling and connectors all look ok. Same throttle body fault. Tried clearing old faults but they come back. Any ideas? Same basic set up as 1.6 C3 and pug 206.
    Both Pedals will ever so slightly respond to movement blipping the rpms from idle to 900-1100 but won't even hold it at that..
    Before I concede defeat and take it to someone would like any last ditch suggestions please ..
    BTW for anyone in Canberra, is Bill MacNamara still on the spanners?
    Thanks

Advertisement

You have the potentiometer on the end of the throttle cable that gets read by the ecu, the ECU and wiring that goes to the throttle body. I think you are on the right track - the NFU engine is notorious for this fault. We could get our xsara with an NFU going by cleaning the throttle body and cable connectors with electrical clean and lube and then zip tying it together so it couldn't move with engine movement. That would last for a few months and eventually we sold it. Good luck - there might be some others who have persevered more to get a more reliable solution.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    You have the potentiometer on the end of the throttle cable that gets read by the ecu, the ECU and wiring that goes to the throttle body. I think you are on the right track - the NFU engine is notorious for this fault. We could get our xsara with an NFU going by cleaning the throttle body and cable connectors with electrical clean and lube and then zip tying it together so it couldn't move with engine movement. That would last for a few months and eventually we sold it. Good luck - there might be some others who have persevered more to get a more reliable solution.

Cheers, Ken
    Thanks for that Ken
    As it so happens I gently dremmeled the pins on the black connector to the engine fuse box just today. This was my last ditch attempt. They appeared a bit glazed and a bit of surface stuff scraped off ..but with no change. I have also bypassed the LHD to rhd extension cable. No go..

I had a similar problem with my berlingo. it wouldn't go past 80 k's and idled at about 2000 revs. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it and all the terminals and as many earth cables as I could. So far so good.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    I had a similar problem with my berlingo. it wouldn't go past 80 k's and idled at about 2000 revs. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it and all the terminals and as many earth cables as I could. So far so good.
    Thanks for that. Not sure the problem is that similar but I will check my earths none the less.

Bill is still on the spanners, he was going for a holiday, may already be back..

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for that..hes a hard man to get in touch with sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    Bill is still on the spanners, he was going for a holiday, may already be back..

Fellow Frogger!

Alhantos did you mean this relay?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C2/C3/206 Throttle fail-image1.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2bxornot2bx View Post
    Alhantos did you mean this relay?
    That's the one,Andy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    That's the one,Andy.
    Thanks Andy. I'll see if I can rustle one up for next to nothing

Fellow Frogger!

Okay so the problem was not the fuel pump/multi relay ..
    Running out of things in that circuit to replace. Guess it's time to hand it over to Bill Mac.. Good money after bad right now.

Hi,

Is your car the 1.4 litre engine?

If it is, then open open up the big connectors on the Engine BSI (3) that are on the drivers side of the battery, under a seperate cover, and see if there is any coolant around the terminals under the connectors.

If there is then that's your problem.

It has nothing to do with the throttle body, its the coolant on the connectors thats causing the faults.

The engine will start and idle, but no acceleration.

The cause of the coolant there, is, its being pumped through the engine wiring harness, from one of two sources, either its the coolant temp sender, which has broken down, and pumping coolant into the harness (the connectors are waterproof both externally and internally), or on a few vehicles, they have an electronic thermostat, and the housing has failed, and its pumping coolant through the connector.

Either way, if you have coolant at the engine BSI, disconnecting the sockets will show coolant in the plug.

The socket for the electronic thermostat is hidden under the thermostat housing, making it initially difficult to find.

Let me know how you get on,

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Greg, Is that the engine ECU you are referring to? Cheers, Ken

Yes..... Same same?

ECU is probably a better description :-))

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ken
    Not a 1.4. But the 1.6.
    In order to check engine bay fuse box I've had to rip off all the connections to remove ECU and other electrical hubs. My absolute last ditch effort will be liberally spraying of all plugs and connectors before reassembly.
    Next step is a phone call to the local fix it guy

Fellow Frogger

It's a 1.6 if mated to Sensodrive in our market. Agree, check for coolant weeping at the temp sensor on the end of the head as the original sensors were somewhat prone to cracking of the case and leakage into the engine harness. Though, you might have expected to see some kind of cooling fault with that. Have you checked or changed the spark plugs? Regap them and maybe, try another coil pack?

Thread Information