Advice on buying a CX (eventually)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By marc61
  • 1 Post By marc61
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Advice on buying a CX (eventually)

Tadpole

Default Advice on buying a CX (eventually)

Hello all!

As the title suggests, I found a 1986 CX Prestige Turbo 2 for sale and I'm trying to decide if buying it would be a good idea or not.
    I'm aware of some typical known issues with these cars (rust, mostly) but I would like your feedback and knowledge of what could go wrong mechanical or rust wise and what should I look for if (or when...) I'll go and see the car.

I should also say that I'm quite used (and do like) to get my hands dirty if needed (as I own a DS and usually I'm the one who performs all mechanical/hydraulic tasks on it); for cosmetic tasks like painting or rust removal I usually rely on a friend's garage who also happens to lend me some time on his shop when I need lifts or other proper tools.

I've seen some photos of the car, but they're only showing the outside and none of the underside... Still, one photo caught my attention as I though the steering wheel would have the lettering "TURBO" on top, but this one hasn't... Any thought on this particular issue?
    Advice on buying a CX (eventually)-931287090_6_1000.jpg

Any help would be very helpful

Advertisement

Thank you all,
    Andre

Mechanically theyíre pretty good. Apart from usual maintenance issues like the handbrake mechanism and cables, changing the spheres and cleaning the LHM filter Iíd say the main things to be aware of are...

The rear arm bearings fail causing the wheels to point inwards and poor handling; balljoints wear causing the front tyres to wear out prematurely which is very expensive if itís got TRX metric tyres; Iíve had a turbo fail on a CX that had done 220,000 miles so if itís done much over 150,000 miles Iíd look to recondition the turbo; the gearchange isnít nice, but Iím not aware of gearbox failures as such; the clutch will wear out fast if the boost has been turned up, but otherwise it lasts well; the top engine mount wears causing the engine to move and that cracks the little concertina exhaust pipe leaving the waste-gate; the door hinges are an odd design and when worn theyíll make a loud clonk; the fan relays, wiring and earth points will probably need a clean up; some of the electrical things may not work very well, like the door mirror controller or the temp display but thatís pretty typical for an 80s car. Iíve probably missed something, but those are the main things that spring to mind.

Meanwhile rust is the bigger issue, itís almost killed off the CX in the U.K. Check the sills, windscreeen surround, door bottoms, boot lid, door shut area on the C-pillars and the longerons and hydraulic pipes underneath etc. Look at the rubber seal on the lower edge of the rear quarter windows, if itís wavy itís rusting underneath and to repair that means the little window needs to come out. And if itís got a sunroof it will rust around the edge which is a real pain, so hopefully it hasnít got a sunroof?!
    maxmaniac and old coot like this.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

The Prestige turbo didn’t have turbo written on the centre of the steering wheel so the photo looks correct, although the gearstick doesn’t look original. The Prestige turbo was toned down and didn’t have a big spoiler on the boot like the GTi Turbo (and I think it came with standard CX alloys rather than the metric size turbo alloys).
    maxmaniac likes this.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Tadpole

Thank you, Marc!
    The engine mileage is around 106k so the turbo should be reasonably OK - although in Portugal we usually drive quite hard so I wouldn't be surprised if turbo boost is increased as well.
    It has no sunroof so rust won't come from the top (hopefully ).
    From what I can see, the alloys aren't the turbo ones, but are metric as well (with the bloody expensive TRX tyres).
    Regarding the steering wheel, that's a relief... As the car seems pretty original, the steering wheel being different would be kind of sad.
    Thanks again for your meticulous reply. Now i'll just have to inspect the car and decide what to do.

Best Regards,
    Andre

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If its not rusty ... BUY ... Don't hesitate ... You NEED THIS CAR. The ultimate CX ever made would be the prestige turbo ... Does it have a hydraulic clutch Nothing like this will ever be made again ... Diravi steering, high pressure brakes, hydraulic suspension, hydraulic clutch, excellent performance, brilliant driving position. That car is a million times better than any modern shitbox citroen or Poogoe makes. Buy it now while you can!! .... And make sure you never sell it

Go get it now ..... Hurry .... Before it sells

seeya,
    Shane L.
    maxmaniac and old coot like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Hello!
    Thanks for your reply Shane! And yes... I think I sould buy it too! Afterall, the cx may be the last of the true citroens
    Well, rust is the main issue... Not even the TRX tyres put me out of the idea of buying this masterpiece.
    I will have to inspect the car very well, but my main concern is failing to spot rust in any crucial (thus expensive) place.
    I don't mind having to patch something here and there as long as it doesn't turn out to be a massive job to do. But I guess this is part of the game, ain't it?
    I read about some leaking DIRAVI steering racks, are they "easy" to rebuild or it's easier to buy a new one (although stupidly expensive...)?
    Mechanic or hydraulic interventions don't really bother nor scare me (actually, I enjoy doing it); I had to replace quite a few parts and high pressure pipes on my DS, so I'd do it again on the CX without hassle.
    Engine wise, I believe they're pretty solid as long as maintenance has been done regularly.
    Thanks again for the advice!

Regards,
    Andre

Thread Information