New RHD Octopus ( return hoses ) for Xantia
  • Register
  • Help

Default New RHD Octopus ( return hoses ) for Xantia. Be Quick!

Ive managed to find some new old stock of these in the UK

There about $360 plus freight.

I have one on order which is coming from Germany through my UK guy.

If anyone wants one speak up quick and Ill see how many there are

Advertisement

I can have them sent together and happy to distribute within Australia once they land.

Cam
    Last edited by cam85; 8th March 2018 at 11:07 AM.

1000+ Posts

Cam do you know whether these are specific to particular Xantiae - ie Series 1 vs Series II and 16v vs Turbo CT (not to mention V6s, Diesels etc.)?

If they fit a Series II Activa then I'm in!!

Cheers

Alec

I assume they are for HA2 system. Yours 'may' be the same.

Ive had word its the last one he has so I propose making a copy if it with either hose and joiners or like this

Xantia Octopus - Billet Replacement Post number #5.

JBN

It depends what the octopus includes. This is one that someone bought new (John W?) and took a photo of. Using that and having help from Addo who showed me how to 'skin' the multiple connector by cutting off all the rubber and getting the nylon tree to attach new rubber tubing to. I expect this is the "right hand" octopus, because the only difference between left and right handed octopus is the longer tube for the steering rack return. If the French were half bright (we did have to help them out in two World Wars), they would have connected a metal return pipe running the whole length of the RHD steering rack to end exactly where the French rubber return hose connected to the LHD steering rack. That way all the rubber return lines would be identical.

The problem I have is all the little return lines from the front suspension that disappear behind the LHM tank. They have right angle bends and nylon T junctions. They are difficult to get to both from beneath when on a hoist or bending over with the LHM tank removed. It is difficult to get LHM friendly rubber to replace a lot of this and the French chose obscure sizes that have no imperial equivalents. Fortunately the LHM leaks can be ignored whilst I have a ready supply of LHM.

New RHD Octopus ( return hoses ) for Xantia-xantia-octopus-main-txt.jpg

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    It depends what the octopus includes. This is one that someone bought new (John W?) and took a photo of. Using that and having help from Addo who showed me how to 'skin' the multiple connector by cutting off all the rubber and getting the nylon tree to attach new rubber tubing to. I expect this is the "right hand" octopus, because the only difference between left and right handed octopus is the longer tube for the steering rack return. If the French were half bright (we did have to help them out in two World Wars), they would have connected a metal return pipe running the whole length of the RHD steering rack to end exactly where the French rubber return hose connected to the LHD steering rack. That way all the rubber return lines would be identical.

The problem I have is all the little return lines from the front suspension that disappear behind the LHM tank. They have right angle bends and nylon T junctions. They are difficult to get to both from beneath when on a hoist or bending over with the LHM tank removed. It is difficult to get LHM friendly rubber to replace a lot of this and the French chose obscure sizes that have no imperial equivalents. Fortunately the LHM leaks can be ignored whilst I have a ready supply of LHM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xantia Octopus Main txt.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	104333

John
    Yes, that's my photo. I think I posted all three of them here 2-3 years ago. All with dimensions.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    I assume they are for HA2 system. Yours 'may' be the same.

Ive had word its the last one he has so I propose making a copy if it with either hose and joiners or like this

Xantia Octopus - Billet Replacement Post number #5.
    If your silver soldering skill (brazing in truth) is up to the task.

I'd start with a piece of 16 or 20mm mm SHS (square hollow section) tube and the correct fittings.

And drill the tube appropriately and solder in the fittings.

I'd estimate the manufacture time at less than 2 hours and the all up cost less that $50.

Even after a number years I see the billet concept as extravagant and having no practical benefit, over the much cheaper fabricated option.

And there is not even bragging rights, because the device is unseen once installed.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If your silver soldering skill (brazing in truth) is up to the task.

I'd start with a piece of 16 or 20mm mm SHS (square hollow section) tube and the correct fittings.

And drill the tube appropriately and solder in the fittings.

I'd estimate the manufacture time at less than 2 hours and the all up cost less that $50.

Even after a number years I see the billet concept as extravagant and having no practical benefit, over the much cheaper fabricated option.

And there is not even bragging rights, because the device is unseen once installed.
    That is the approach taken here. . .
    Xantia Citro&eumln

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Brazed or soldered tube is the sensible solution for the long-term.

NOS parts have the advantage of looking right and fitting straight in though. For the Xantia, there are many, many variations when you look at the parts lists.

JBN

If you look at the third photo, the "tree" when skinned is just nylon. I just used the nylon tree and connected new rubber hoses. Simple. The nylon tree is very unlikely to deteriorate. I think replicating it in brass is overkill.

If you were designing a Xantia from scratch, you would have a manifold fixed to top of the engine bay firewall, with all the various hoses of differing diameters joining it. Then, from that manifold, you would have one large diameter hose going to the LHM reservoir with no right angled bends, just a natural curve. That is the hose that would require replacing most because it would be the only hose disturbed when cleaning the filters and replacing the LHM. The way Citroen did it was to put stress on all return hoses when changing the LHM, hence the problem. Rubber doesn't last forever in a hot engine bay environment where it becomes brittle, but it still does its job UNLESS the brittle hose is moved or bent.

In the days when Michelin owned Citroen, they had a vested interest in replacing rubber.

New RHD Octopus ( return hoses ) for Xantia-jbn-008.jpgNew RHD Octopus ( return hoses ) for Xantia-jbn-010.jpg

John
    Last edited by JBN; 12th March 2018 at 05:18 PM.

Yes it can be done many ways.

Ive the new set of hoses coming in a couple of weeks. Hoping to sort the issues out!

Thread Information