DS wheel balancing
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenn Drake
  • 1 Post By Leeroy69

Thread: DS wheel balancing

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! lamoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    sydney-newport
    Posts
    369

    Default DS wheel balancing

    could some person please advise me if it possible to balance the wheels on a DS by having the weights on the inside ?

    what is the usual ??

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Weights are ordinarily placed both on the inside and the outside to cancel out any lateral imbalance
    Cheers,
    John T.

    54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

  3. #3
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    could some person please advise me if it possible to balance the wheels on a DS by having the weights on the inside ?

    what is the usual ??
    Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Weights are ordinarily placed both on the inside and the outside to cancel out any lateral imbalance
    Do you have access to an on-car wheel balancer? Have you made sure that the inside of the wheels are spotlessly clean?

    Originally from the factory the cars used no wheel weights. Michelin produced both the tire and the wheel as an assembly, and as such were able to carefully control the wheel balance. Even today, with "off-brand" tires, you can still get good result just so long as the wheel isn't damaged and the tire is a reputable brand.

    If you do need to balance a wheel, you can use one of the on-car balancers. Just mount your wheel to be worked on on the rear so it freely spins. Also, make sure there aren't glops of accumulated road gunk, grease, dirt, and so on. You'll be amazed at how that little bit can throw a wheel out of balance
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! lamoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    sydney-newport
    Posts
    369

    Default Ds wheeel balancing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Do you have access to an on-car wheel balancer? Have you made sure that the inside of the wheels are spotlessly clean?

    Originally from the factory the cars used no wheel weights. Michelin produced both the tire and the wheel as an assembly, and as such were able to carefully control the wheel balance. Even today, with "off-brand" tires, you can still get good result just so long as the wheel isn't damaged and the tire is a reputable brand.

    If you do need to balance a wheel, you can use one of the on-car balancers. Just mount your wheel to be worked on on the rear so it freely spins. Also, make sure there aren't glops of accumulated road gunk, grease, dirt, and so on. You'll be amazed at how that little bit can throw a wheel out of balance
    many thanks gents will try to get this as i really prefer NO weights on the rims showing.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Templestowe, Melbourne
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Just did my DS 23 wheels this way at tyresplus in Ringwood.
    Shows off my new painted rims!
    Glenn


    Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

  6. #6
    Member Leeroy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I've probably noticed this a little too late to be of any use here, but I'll throw in my 2 bob anyway.

    Yes, wheels can be balanced without weights on the 'outside' lip. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the most common would be what is known as a static balance. Doesn't give quite as accurate a balance as a regular 'dynamic' balance, however, during my many years in the tyre industry I've rarely had any issues. Besides, the only times you're going to notice an unbalanced wheel is when travelling between roughly 90-120kph.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! badabec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ongar / England
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Hello, anyone on here used Dynabeads in their tyres to balance them?

    Dynabeads Tyre Balancers. The dynamic way to balance your tyres.

    Made in the USA

  8. #8
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy69 View Post
    I've probably noticed this a little too late to be of any use here, but I'll throw in my 2 bob anyway.

    Yes, wheels can be balanced without weights on the 'outside' lip. There are a couple of ways to do this, but the most common would be what is known as a static balance. Doesn't give quite as accurate a balance as a regular 'dynamic' balance, however, during my many years in the tyre industry I've rarely had any issues. Besides, the only times you're going to notice an unbalanced wheel is when travelling between roughly 90-120kph.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    The only problem with that is most D wheels don't have the center hole for the hub like most any other car. Certainly not the center lock ('55-'65) wheels. I have seen centers cut out on the 5-lug wheels, but with that you lose the ability to lift the wheel up to the hub with the factory tire tools.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Grafton
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Yes I have used them for years!
    Seem to work very well.
    Easier to install when the tyre is fitted, but 1mm beads can be put in via the valve stem

    Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •