• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By simmrr
  • 1 Post By draftpunk

Thread: New C4 Picasso Owner. advice needed

Tadpole

Default New C4 Picasso Owner. advice needed

Hi everyone.

Bought my first Citroen today. Its a 2008 2.0 diesel with 114k on the clock.

While its not super clean its not too bad a shape either considering its 10yrsold. It has full service history as well.

Bit of a nail bitting process but so far my wife and I are happy. It really fits what we were looking for, a 7 seater with good fuel economy.
    We had a diesel Toyota Lucida a few years back and loved the diesel in that car, as well as the space. Before buying this car we looked at some newer Estimas, which had a very nice quality feel, but they all had thirsty petrols.
    We are looking to change our lifestyle from the current v8 jeep we have which leaves us too scared to go anywhere with the fuel cost.

Noticed a couple of things today after driving home that did not show on the test drive.

The tyre pressure sensor in the rear left was saying pressure was low yet when I pumped up/checked the tyres, it was 35psi? Any thoughts on this.

The right seat in the middle row was flashing a seat belt warning yet nobody was sitting there.

Are these common problems and is there an easy fix?

Love doing things myself so happy to learn.

Advertisement

Also is there a good source where I can pick up a service manual?
    danielsydney likes this.

the seatbelt lights shouldn't stay on long - try opening driver's door - might stop them if they alarm or otherwise bother. mine doesn't have tyre sensor but i think I've seen mention here of them so try search; also try all my posts since about this time last year for the benefit of my mistakes ... you have at least owned a diesel before.
    welcome - and we like photos too
    steven
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

1000+ Posts

The tyre pressure sensors are radio transmitters under the valves. The computer locates which is which by their built-in digital addresses. Perhaps your car had a wheel/tyre change by someone who didn't think about it. In time the car may work out what is really happening. At worst it can be reset using the diagnostic computer.

A 2.0 HDI vehicle from 2008 will have the DW20BTED4 engine, coded RHR. The code letters are found as part of the VIN at position 6. Getting official repair data requires you to join service.citroen as a repairer. Everything is there but many documents will require payment. Haynes has an after-market manual in English easily obtained for a modest price. Revue Technique Auto has a better one, online, but it is in French.

Diesel fuel in Australia is regulated by law. Despite the advertising, all the brands you have seen comply with the same standard. In freezing locations only, eg the NSW highlands, the brew varies in winter.

Much more important is oil grade. These engines must use a very low ash C2 oil or real trouble will come as ash clogs up the engine and particle filter. Total is recommended, but there are a couple of suitable other makes. On the same topic, the particle filter needs periodic regenerating (ie, burnt out). The easiest way to get this done is do a run on o motorway or other road where you can keep an uninterrupted moderate to high speed. The car can do it automatically in these conditions by altering fuelling etc. It can be done spectacularly in a workshop by forcing the computer - never when parked over vegetation.

Tadpole

Cool thanks for the feedback fnqvmuch and seasink. Just a couple of follow on questions

What types of oils are out there apart from the total brand? I havent started hunting for any yet and cant say ive seen any in shops.

What is everyone using for radiator fluid? Im thinking of doing a flush. The resevoir was a bit low when we bought it. I topped it up a little with distilled water however for piece of mind might change it all.

Something else I noticed in the maintenance guide was to top up the 'EOLYS 176' @ 120,000km. Can anyone elaborate on this as its news to me.

Im finding this quite interesting if not a little overwhelming. Im sure it will become second nature once I get my head around it.

Are most of you here using Australian dealers to source your consumables or is anyone using uk sites to locate cheaper deals? I live in Perth by the way if anyone is wondering.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simmrr View Post
    Cool thanks for the feedback fnqvmuch and seasink. Just a couple of follow on questions
    What types of oils are out there apart from the total brand? I havent started hunting for any yet and cant say ive seen any in shops.
    What is everyone using for radiator fluid? Im thinking of doing a flush. The resevoir was a bit low when we bought it. I topped it up a little with distilled water however for piece of mind might change it all.
    Something else I noticed in the maintenance guide was to top up the 'EOLYS 176' @ 120,000km. Can anyone elaborate on this as its news to me.
    Im finding this quite interesting if not a little overwhelming. Im sure it will become second nature once I get my head around it.
    Are most of you here using Australian dealers to source your consumables or is anyone using uk sites to locate cheaper deals? I live in Perth by the way if anyone is wondering.
    Hi simmrr
    Here are my thoughts.
    Oil ! All oil companies supply a suitable type of oil for allmost any vehicle. Look at their web sites or just study the back of the bottles on the shelf. All newer diesels need a 'special' oil so not so special any more. Now is the time to move to an easily available type from your local shop IMHO.

Radiator fluid ! same comments apply. Do a flush and put in what you deem suitable locally.

EOLYS 176. Google it ! but in short it is a fluid that is injected into the exhaust in small quantities to help the regeneration of the particle filter. Commonly available now.

I have sourced parts from local suppliers and from UK when I had a Cit in times past. People may be more specific about your model. There are forum supporters who advertise here, ask them what they sell for your model ! Look under 'OUR SPONSERS'
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

If you have seen an ashed engine you won't put in any oil. The ash content is critical.

Total's C2 grade is recommended by the maker, and though not often in shops, in Perth is easy to get from the local distributor 3 bottles in a carton. There was a thread about that in AF. It wasn't expensive either.

Most oil companies do have a C2 grade, eg Magnatec Professional C2; but these can be harder to find retail than Total, as they are made for the trade. One make easily found is Penrite Enviro+ DL-1

Consumables from dealers are $$$. There are firms (mostly in Melbourne and Sydney) who will courier filters, pads etc to you, of OEM quality, for a considerable saving.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi simmrr
    EOLYS 176. Google it ! but in short it is a fluid that is injected into the exhaust in small quantities to help the regeneration of the particle filter. Commonly available now.
    Just a follow up on this.

Eolys is mixed with your fuel automatically when you fill up. The fluid helps increase the temperatures in the DPF to aid in burning more diesel particles and maintaining a cleaner DPF.

It should not be confused with urea type fluids (ADBLUE) which are as you have stated are injected into the exhaust to reduce nitrogen levels being released to the atmosphere.

Regards,
    Curtis.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Ken W likes this.

The car will tell you when the Eolys gets low. If the previous owner has only filled up to full when the tank is nearly empty, you might get to over 200,000 km before the refill Eolys message comes up. More importantly, do you know if the timing belt has been changed yet? On the RHR engine the timing belt change is maximum specified for 190,000 km or 9 years whichever comes first. Your car is 10 years old so it should have been changed.

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information