• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: 2CV Timing

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CV Timing

Getting the Dolly ready for Dalby! When checking the timing I noticed a scatter of about 3d between the two firing points.Apparently this is acceptable. This would be easy to explain if I still had points but I have a 123 Ign.
    This makes me wonder why the points box wasn,t originally fitted to the Crankshaft then there would be zero scatter? (I realise that my DS may be worse than this but I have no way of knowing) Any thoughts.
    Woody

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

The cam gear is made up of two halves, and it's possible the springs that hold it together and take up the lash might be a little weak, or the cam gear is worn. The 123 still drives off the cam gear even though it's electronic. Also, remember that the cam drives at 1/2 crank speed.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

JBN

I reckon if both cylinders are firing, that's about as good as a 2CV gets. I have driven one across Sydney on one cylinder and that is when you notice that you have a bit of a problem.

John
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Quite so John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I reckon if both cylinders are firing, that's about as good as a 2CV gets. I have driven one across Sydney on one cylinder and that is when you notice that you have a bit of a problem.

John
    The 2CV also suffers from too much carburettor heat in summer , how do you get around that one ,

wrap wet rags around the carb ?

JBN

I drive my 2CV throughout the year in Sydney which can get fairly hot in summer. I don't know what malaise a 2CV carby exhibits in conditions of too much heat. I do have one bad habit when driving 2CVs in that I drive them fast. Maybe this aids in cooling them better as being air-cooled, the faster the air flows past the engine, the cooler they become. I am open to differing interpretations on this as I know that the police have never accepted this argument and have proceeded to write an infringement notice, but I had always put that down to them needing the money more than they thought I needed the money.

I know in winter, the 2CV is a bastard when it is cold.

John
    Winkbul45 likes this.

Woody, ignition 'scatter', caused by eccentricity of the points cam, is claimed to be corrected by software built into a 123 unit.
    'Software controlled spark-balance, better than half a degree crankshaft.'
    Is that 3* scatter on your engine present all the way through the rev range or only at low rpm?
    I've noticed that there can be a phase just above tickover when there's a bit of 'flutter', but that's of little or no significance as long as it's transient.
    http://www.123ignition.nl/files/manu...manual_2cv.pdf
    Technical data; on next to last page

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Getting the Dolly ready for Dalby! When checking the timing I noticed a scatter of about 3d between the two firing points.Apparently this is acceptable. This would be easy to explain if I still had points but I have a 123 Ign.
    This makes me wonder why the points box wasn,t originally fitted to the Crankshaft then there would be zero scatter? (I realise that my DS may be worse than this but I have no way of knowing) Any thoughts.
    Woody
    Last edited by Ken H; 16th February 2018 at 08:08 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

The same happened to me John. I'll try your excuse next time :-)

Thread Information