• 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: C3 Brake Swap

Tadpole

Default C3 Brake Swap

Hi all just sending out a thank you for the add.
    Having just bought the daughter her first car a 2004 C3 Panoramic am looking at upgrading the braking system.
    This one has solid front rotors and drum brakes on the rear.
    Would the later vented fronts, with calipers be a bolt one affair and also a complete rear axle assembly.
    Ease of maintenance also

Tried searching for this but nothing really coming up.
    Never played with a French car before so this is a big learning curve, but so far really liking the way that things are assembled.

Any info would be great.
    Don't want to buy all the bits to find that it doesn't work.

Many thanks

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default ??

Hi New to this
    Not sure why you want to do all that work for ??? Seems a bit silly for the daughter, but your call

I have no idea really {but that is not stopping me replying } but my thoughts are that the physical bolting on will be easy most likely, however the change of brake sensors for the ABS etc may be a greater problem if you are unlucky. If not compatible between models it will be a mess and prevent the safety gear working at all.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

You'd have to compare the part numbers between the systems for the bits that remain in common, but ABS would present a problem at the rear.

The design engineers for modern cars usually provide an adequate system for the type of vehicle, so if it isn't to be driven hard, or put on a track, why do it? I'd be servicing both front and rear to new car performance. It is a conventional system, not exclusively French. Parts can be got reasonably from such places as AEI in Melbourne.

Which engine is in it? The 1.4?
    UFO likes this.

Tadpole

Yeh that's one of the things that l was worried about.
    Whether or not the electronics would be compatible, mechanical looks very much the same.

Tadpole

Yes it is the 1.4.
    Ease of serviceability was the main reason.
    Not tracking it, just her runaround car.
    Main thing would be how well do the brakes go for long trips? 2 hour drives?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by New to this View Post
    Yes it is the 1.4.
    Ease of serviceability was the main reason.
    Not tracking it, just her runaround car.
    Main thing would be how well do the brakes go for long trips? 2 hour drives?
    Perfectly fine. You're overthinking it.

Brakes on Cits and Peugeots are always good - in fact the brakes on our C4 are better than the C5 - but both are still fantastic.

As soon as you try to delve down the holes of redesigning what is already a good system you will paint yourself into an expensive and difficult corner.

COL

The brakes should not be a problem on long trips, you will most likely find that they are not being used very often.

Where brakes get taxed a lot is when going down steep long descents with lots of tight corners where you find yourself braking at every corner. Heat is the biggest killer of brake performance on most cars, keep the brakes cool and they will perform fine.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The brakes should not be a problem on long trips, you will most likely find that they are not being used very often.

Where brakes get taxed a lot is when going down steep long descents with lots of tight corners where you find yourself braking at every corner. Heat is the biggest killer of brake performance on most cars, keep the brakes cool and they will perform fine.
    Ensure your daughter also knows how to use engine/gearbox braking and to "wash off" speed at the top of a long descent and control the descent rather than be a brake-rider and discover halfway downhill that the brakes are overheated and useless.

1000+ Posts

Are you thinking of Mt Ousley translated south, UFO? The rear drums on these light cars do little work, and they have a superior handbrake.
    COL and Greg like this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Are you thinking of Mt Ousley translated south, UFO? The rear drums on these light cars do little work, and they have a superior handbrake.
    Mt Ousley, Bulli Pass, Macquarie Pass, Kangaroo Valley, Jamberoo Mountain Rd, Clyde Mountain, Brown Mountain, Victoria Pass.....

You know, downward slopes in general.

Mrs UFO and I usually drive Mt Ousley with very few brake touches. Just a hovering foot to deal with idiot lane changers.

1000+ Posts

Not so much slopes in general as the worst long steep descents Australia has on offer. The C3 will do fine, particularly nowhere near the Illawarra.

Fellow Frogger

It would be a lot easier to trade it for something with better brakes if you are worried about the mix of non-ventilated discs and drums. While it will have ABS, it probably lacks ESP. The Pluriel and later 1.6 petrol 4 door versions had front ventilated discs and rear discs. However, you may find quite a few differences re piping, compensator, ABS programming etc. that might end up making it all a bit difficult.

Make sure she fills it with 95 or 98. It would cope with E10, but it is often below 95 and you will use more, making it likely it will be a false economy.
    Last edited by David S; 13th February 2018 at 07:11 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks for all the info guys, looks like l will be leaving it alone and just let her enjoy it.
    Had to ask cause l am coming from the JDM side of things where these type of upgrades are straight forward.
    Might still just get the fronts slotted just to assist with the outgassing of the pads.

By coping with E10, does that mean no issues with fuel pumps and fuel lines?

1000+ Posts

Hi
    You know this seems like a waste of effort to achieve nothing. The reason we buy French cars is to get some nice handling and braking etc. Why f*ck with it for the sake of achieving what ?? Slot the rotors to aid with pad outgassing, BS I say. The marketing people have seen you coming.

On another front, brake fade ! I am a conservative driver so even though I have driven in some difficult places in several countries including driving a truck up and down the passes in PNG to the highlands, I have never had any problems. Those passes are steep, up to 1 in 4 in parts for several Kms.

However the only time I have had total brake fade is in a Holden ute doing a quick dash through the suburbs for some spare parts. Bl**dy scared me and the boss had the brakes redone after that. Low speed and more power than brakes But I was young and silly then.
    Jaahn
    UFO likes this.

Thread Information