Recoating DS Plastic Ventilator Housings
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg

Thread: Recoating DS Plastic Ventilator Housings

Default Recoating DS Plastic Ventilator Housings

Hi all - I'm just wanting to smarten up the ventilator housings - is paint the only option?
    I just want to know if there is a product/service which recoats plastics, probably in a similar way to powdercoating for metal...?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Advertisement

Hi Mark,

VHT Vinyl Spray in satin black does an excellent job, and it actually soaks into the plastic, not a surface coating.

best regards,

Greg
    forumnoreason likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Many thanks for the suggestion Greg - I'd not thought of using vinyl spray there....?
    I'm guessing you don't need a primer - just clean and scuff the surface for a key....?
    All the best,
    Mark...

Hi Mark,

Just clean the surface with a good wax & grease remover.

The results will surprise you.............I stick with VHT, as some other brands don't give the same results.

Best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

You could also try Forever Black.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Many thanks for the suggestion Greg - I'd not thought of using vinyl spray there....?
    I'm guessing you don't need a primer - just clean and scuff the surface for a key....?
    All the best,
    Mark...
    Don't do it Mark or I'll have to disown you!!!
    Get hold of a good plastic polish and use some elbow grease. . . I've had success with Novus 1/2/3
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOVUS-PL...YAAOSwo0JWL~jF

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Oh no Chris... I would not want that...!
    Have you used this kit on the housings...? its the brown tinge and scratches I'm trying to get rid of....
    Many thanks,
    Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Oh no Chris... I would not want that...!
    Have you used this kit on the housings...? its the brown tinge and scratches I'm trying to get rid of....
    Many thanks,
    Mark...
    Mark, the housing were never painted you know that, once painted there's no going back!!

I've had great success with various plastic parts on a D including the clear faces of the instrument cluster, switch stalks etc. it does require some effort - the Novus 3 part kit, Coarse /Medium and Fine should yield the result and not a huge investment, if you are still unhappy with the result you can still get out your rattle cans. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Ok Chris - many thanks for the advice...!
    I'll give the polish a go first...then if it's no good I'll go the paint...
    I'll post some results...
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with Chris. Mine cleaned up very well. Personally I like the slight patina of age. You can still see a couple of darker areas where service stickers etc had been stuck, but that's easy. I'll just put new stickers back! If you paint it, the finish may be different and it may never look quite right again.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

One advantage of paint is it does add a bit of additional UV protection for the plastic.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 TAV Legere; 61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Thread Information