To buy or not to buy a C5 X7 Tourer?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 2 Post By CC1701

Thread: To buy or not to buy a C5 X7 Tourer?

Default To buy or not to buy a C5 X7 Tourer?

Hi all,
    Long time member, rare poster but now I have a question I hope to get your opinions on.
    We need a family wagon and are thinking about a C5 X7 Tourer (2010-2014 range).
    Having test driven a few now and they are certainly lovely, and interesting, to drive.
    However, we need trouble free transport, just don't have the time to be constantly fiddling with or fixing a car.
    Nor, do we need the surprise of large repair bills.
    Looking to spend $10-20k for a C5 X7 Tourer.
    Have always had Peugeots and Renaults, but never a Citroen.
    We only do about 7,000 km per year and mostly around town with just the odd occasional journey of a few hundred km. We're city slickers, so never drive interstate or long distances.
    Would very much appreciate hearing the experience of owners of these lovely cars.
    Is a C5 X7 reliable and trouble free to run?
    Robert

Advertisement

Hi Robert,

I purchased an X7 Tourer new in 2011 (MY10 model) and found it to be very reliable. It never missed a beat, and was very economical. I had it for 4 years and when I traded it in, it had just over 80,000km on the odometer.

I traded it in for a new C5 Tourer (MY14 model), essentially the same car although the 'exclusive' model.

This car has Citroen's 'hydractive' suspension so you will probably want to find a knowledgeable service centre.

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diesel pete View Post
    Hi Robert,

I purchased an X7 Tourer new in 2011 (MY10 model) and found it to be very reliable. It never missed a beat, and was very economical. I had it for 4 years and when I traded it in, it had just over 80,000km on the odometer.

I traded it in for a new C5 Tourer (MY14 model), essentially the same car although the 'exclusive' model.

This car has Citroen's 'hydractive' suspension so you will probably want to find a knowledgeable service centre.
    Same here. I had a C5 Tourer 2008 which never had any issue except for a engine speed sensor which was replaced in 20 minutes.

Later I updated for a 2013 Exclusive sedan which I still have and is more powerful with the 163 engine.

Don't believe the crap about Citroen being unreliable, they are sold all around the world by the millions in the most remote and arduous climate places.

The X7 is a particularly good model, being used as taxis, gendarmes, government services etc... all aver Europe and gives little problems whilst achieving record high mileage.
    Go for it!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

Mine's ok, and trouble free.

I'd try to get a later DW10C 2.0L diesel (the VIN includes the letters RHH), as it has improvements over the earlier engine, and quite an oomph increase. 4 cyl diesels are simpler to maintain than 6 cyl engines, and they have quite sufficient torque to keep you in radar tickets.

On suspension, the later models have hydraulics only in Exclusive grade. Before that Comfort were hydraulic as well. Attraction and Seduction have the same suspension set up as hydraulic X7s, but with steel springs and shockers inserted in lieu of the struts. They still supply a ride in the Citroen tradition, but having no suspension computer cannot anticipate things as the wheels pass over bumps. There is also less to maintain and possibly repair. The steel-sprung cars also use a conventional pull-up handbrake instead of an auto electric one. These last are very expensive if anything goes wrong.

Lower "grade" cars have halide lighting, not Xenon. Seduction and Attraction are differentiated by trim level.

Do you really need the superb suspension for driving around the suburbs and the occasional blast down the SE Freeway.These suburban excursions will hardly bring out the suspension advantages offered by this unique vehicle. Maybe something like a Megane wagon or a 308 wagon could very adequately fill your needs.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

That argument would lead to a steel sprung C5.

JBN

Don't you guys have speed bumps in the city? I do where I live, but then with the 2CV I can take them at the 50kph speed limit without a need to slow down (except for the BMWs who crawl over them at walking pace). But a 2CV is a very soft sprung car with long suspension travel.

I enjoy the hydractive Xantia VSX around town, particularly on patched bitumen roads. I enjoy its self levelling suspension when I fill the boot with bags of cement. The only place the hydraulic suspension isn't much of an advantage is on the freeways (as long as one isn't in the left lane that carries most of the trucks). On secondary roads, hydraulic suspension is brilliant.

John

If you need a vehicle that large for the local supermarket/library/hotel/restaurant or anywhere else with restricted parking then maybe buy a c5.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

Within an inch of a Mazda6, Kia Optima, BMW3, Skoda Superb, Peugeot 508, Camry.... Shorter than a Commodore.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Don't you guys have speed bumps in the city? I do where I live, but then with the 2CV I can take them at the 50kph speed limit without a need to slow down ...
    I used to speed up for them in the CX, which had a few passengers just a little worried.

The first of the X7 series is about to turn 10, so a lot of abuse can happen in that time. However, if they are maintained reasonably well, they do not have many vices to worry about. Usual used car issues apply - brakes, tyres, timing belt etc.. Overall, good solid cars. Watch for slip in the gearbox on the upchange, but if you need to bargain, be aware it can usually be fixed with a new valve block - there are a couple of threads on this. If you buy an older car that's covered about 160-180K, find out of the Eolys tank has been refilled as it will not be long until it is needed. Factor in that cost if need be. Similarly, worn bushes in the front end might be a point of negotiation - Citroen want you to buy new complete lower arms and uprights because they do not service a couple of key suspension bushes. There are significantly less expensive aftermarket solutions now available.

There are V6 HDi versions, but they will cost you more to keep on the road than the 4 cylinder versions. The Exclusive version gives you the better headlights and a few other odds and ends. There are coil spring suspension wagons with the HDi engne, but I don't think there were any petrol versions sold. The engine change seasink mentions was about 2010/11 and the VIN changed from RHR for the DW10B 2.0HDi to RHH for the more powerful DW10C. At the time it was claimed around a 20% lift in both power and economy.
    Greg likes this.

thanks for all the replies and good info.
    positive comments from owners give a glow of confidence to buying one.
    pull-up handbrake is a nice tip for spotting a steel spring one, thanks for the tip.
    the 120kw diesel performs well enough for us, but still a v6 would be nice but they are pretty rare
    its hard to find something with decent cargo space these days; many suv things have smaller than expected cargo areas. c5 is generous and what we need
    thanks for all the replies and comments. much appreciated

I'm on my third X7, for leasing reasons.
    I also had a 2005 facelift wagon, and with each model they've improved except for storage space.
    My current model (bought mid-2016) has CarPlay, which provides what I've always wanted in availabilty of music in the car.
    Last edited by person s; 8th February 2018 at 06:12 PM.

I bought a 3.0 V6 Touring. Only had it a few days and am already smitten with it. What a fantastic car to drive, soft, smooth, cruisy and comfortable then tap sport suspension and transmission and it becomes a tight, quick and, still, very comfortable car.
    Filled with lots of useful and practical kit and good quality materials.
    Thanks again to all those who replied, gave me the confidence to buy one. Smiling from ear to ear.
    Any suggestions on which brand diesel fuel is best for them?
    Biker and harrisson_citroen like this.

Am also looking to purchase a V6 X7 sedan. However, I had thought it was 2.7 litre.. Are there two versions of V6 diesel engines, and are they both single turbo or is one a double turbo.. Is one more preferable over the other, if there is another?

1000+ Posts

There are more PSA engine varieties than I can count, but the 2008 C5 X7 came with the 2.7 HDI.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Biker;1557311]Am also looking to purchase a V6 X7 sedan. Are there two versions of V6 diesel engines, and are they both single turbo or is one a double turbo/QUOTE]

Yes, there are two V6 diesels, the 2.7 and 3.0 HDI. The 3.0 HDI is the same motor that was used in XF Jag and Discovery, except with torque detuned to accommodate the limited space for the AM6 transmission. Excellent motor (with twin turbos), it is reasonably efficient and goes like a shower of *hit! With proper servicing (suggest 10k oil changes), I think you will be more than happy with it.

As for fuel, I now use Woolworths Caltex. With up to 8c/litre discount, it is generally one of the cheapest and as a bonus is Premium diesel.

To buy or not to buy a C5 X7 Tourer?-3.0-hdi-wiki.jpg

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post
    thanks for all the replies and good info.
    positive comments from owners give a glow of confidence to buying one.
    pull-up handbrake is a nice tip for spotting a steel spring one, thanks for the tip.
    the 120kw diesel performs well enough for us, but still a v6 would be nice but they are pretty rare
    its hard to find something with decent cargo space these days; many suv things have smaller than expected cargo areas. c5 is generous and what we need
    thanks for all the replies and comments. much appreciated
    Good one! You'll love it.

For a few cents more I only use BP Ultimate Diesel. Also important to change the fuel filter at each oil change, and use TOTAL Quartz Ecs Ineo, don't let the service guys tell you MObil 1 or whatever else is as good. You need a low ash oil.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Thread Information