1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??

Default 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??

hi guys !!

i have recently acquiredmy first car, a 79 cx2400 pallas (what have i gotten myself into...), but it does not have a passenger side wing mirror. do any of youse guys know where i can acquire one of these, ideally in the melbourne area ?? the drivers side mirror is of the earlier chromed, square type.

if this is not a possibility, what would you suggest i do ?? unfortunately money is an object, i'm only 17 and my measly pay as a woolworths cashier doesn't get me very far...

Advertisement

thanks for all your help !!

kind regards,

max.

I believe that it is possible to import one from a LHD CX and fit it to the passenger side. It could be done but one would need the screw threaded panel that is inside the top of the door panel so that the fixing screw of the mirror base can be attached to the door. I looked at the possibility of doing it to my 78 CX Pallas. but decided against it when I realised that most RHD cars with passenger door mirrors have optically corrected glass to encompass a wider field of view. A mirror from a LHD car's driver door would not be so modified, and hence may not be so useful after all!
    37dhw8 likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Max,

Here is a challenge. Post up a picture of the existing wing mirror that you have.

Cheers, Ken

Aha. I have done exactly this! I found a LH driver's mirror on ebay in Europe (in Holland, in this case), so look globally. You can search www.ebay.fr too.

The CX-Basis shop has them in stock (Spiegel CX S1 Pallas/Prestige li. - Anbauteile auŖen - Karosserie - Shop - CX-Basis - Der Spezialist fŁr Citroen CX) but at Euro 330 you might be dissuaded - they have other options though so do go and look there. "Karroserie" is bodywork and they offer an English language option on the home page or the first SHOP page.

I heard years ago that these are the same mirrors as used on the Jaguar XJ-S but I'll bet that doesn't help on the cost front.

For fitting, I used a "Nutsert" tool with complete success. I'm sure I have photos but can't lay my hands on them - I'll post them if they turn up.

I didn't bother with the electrical control, but eased the mirror into the best angle and left it there!

to help viewing the side for parking and the blind spot, I also have fixed a small (are they about 40 mm) plastic convex mirror at the outside of the flat glass area, bought from Super Cheap. This gives a decent view back but, boy, you have to be careful with it - I cut someone off the other day because they were closer than I thought.

I think our years of CX only supplied a driver's side external mirror. I can't recommend strongly enough getting that left hand mirror!

You've a hell of a first car! Welcome to our eccentric community. Is it a 4-speed manual or a C-matic? They are extraordinary cars and you do need to keep ahead of the problems. Although they look daunting, actually most things are do-able if you don't take short cuts. Seek help here as there are some very knowledgeable folk out there.

Cheers
    Last edited by JohnW; 29th January 2018 at 08:20 PM.
    gerrypro and 37dhw8 like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I believe that it is possible to import one from a LHD CX and fit it to the passenger side. It could be done but one would need the screw threaded panel that is inside the top of the door panel so that the fixing screw of the mirror base can be attached to the door. I looked at the possibility of doing it to my 78 CX Pallas. but decided against it when I realised that most RHD cars with passenger door mirrors have optically corrected glass to encompass a wider field of view. A mirror from a LHD car's driver door would not be so modified, and hence may not be so useful after all!
    sounds like a lot of hassle i'm not ready for. i suppose i'll have to keep peering out the rear windscreen !! thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Max,

Here is a challenge. Post up a picture of the existing wing mirror that you have.

Cheers, Ken
    challenge accepted. the heavens have opened outside so while i'm not quite prepared to run out and snap a pic, here is one i found on the net of a car with the same mirror. 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-citroen-cx.jpg

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Aha. I have done exactly this! I found a LH driver's mirror on ebay in Europe (in Holland, in this case), so look globally. You can search www.ebay.fr too.

The CX-Basis shop has them in stock (Spiegel CX S1 Pallas/Prestige li. - Anbauteile auŖen - Karosserie - Shop - CX-Basis - Der Spezialist fŁr Citroen CX) but at Euro 330 you might be dissuaded - they have other options though so do go and look there. "Karroserie" is bodywork and they offer an English language option on the home page or the first SHOP page.

I heard years ago that these are the same mirrors as used on the Jaguar XJ-S but I'll bet that doesn't help on the cost front.

For fitting, I used a "Nutsert" tool with complete success. I'm sure I have photos but can't lay my hands on them - I'll post them if they turn up.

I didn't bother with the electrical control, but eased the mirror into the best angle and left it there!

to help viewing the side for parking and the blind spot, I also have fixed a small (are they about 40 mm) plastic convex mirror at the outside of the flat glass area, bought from Super Cheap. This gives a decent view back but, boy, you have to be careful with it - I cut someone off the other day because they were closer than I thought.

I think our years of CX only supplied a driver's side external mirror. I can't recommend strongly enough getting that left hand mirror!

You've a hell of a first car! Welcome to our eccentric community. Is it a 4-speed manual or a C-matic? They are extraordinary cars and you do need to keep ahead of the problems. Although they look daunting, actually most things are do-able if you don't take short cuts. Seek help here as there are some very knowledgeable folk out there.

Cheers
    wow !! thanks for all that info !!

looking at pictures of jaguar xj-s' mirrors, while they look similar, the xj-s' look a but more curvy -- and you're right, the price isn't all too reasonable

the electrical adjustment for my drivers' side mirror isn't working (anyone have any clue as to how one is to fix this ??) so i'm not too fussed about that on the passenger side.

i'm very proud of my snow white rustbucket of a cx, very different to dad's prius v i have been driving up until now (). it's a 3 speed c-matic, which has actually proven to be quite robust and smooth thus far (took it 860km from sydney to melbourne - a pretty rigorous test) although it seems to idle at a pretty low rpm. all the mechanics and electrics seem to be in great nick and work well !! so i'm pretty chuffed. no doubt the help of these fine frogs will get me far - being someone with little to no mechanical expertise.

thanks for all your help !!
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Fellow Frogger

I nearly squished myself under a CX once, so please read this now:
    Hydraulic Citroen Safety - also applies in part to other cars

79 CX would have had a RH mirror only. I think you got a left on the next year model. A reinforcing panel is needed inside the door skin as mentioned by John and a rivnut/nutset kit would be a good solution. The mirror base angle is different on Jaguar XJ-S (only on HE 81-92) and also the S3 XJ6/12 (79-87). You could probably modify the base or make up a rubber wedge to make it fit neatly. It's better to find a CX mirror.

If you remove the mirror, you can see the mechanism ...
    1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-cx_mirror_motor.jpg1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-cx_mirror_motor_internals.jpg

Edit: if you feel really strongly about having the LH mirror work too, add some switch gear that lets you choose from left or right mirrors and controlled via the existing stalk switch. Or, pinch the pretty chromed two stalk control unit from a 1980's Jaguar and place it wherever you like.

Make sure you look into supporting the bottom of the gearbox electrovalve so it can't drop and fall off. it may already have an extra bracket bolted on, often a bit of old-style radio punched support bracket/strip.
    Last edited by David S; 29th January 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Pull the existing mirror off first.... And see if you can handle fitting the big mounting captive nut. It will be pretty daunting cutting a hole that size into your car!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There are stepped drill bits that can cut holes in panels accurately. I converted Light 15 front guards into 11bl front guards using one of these to cut the hole for the headlight cable. 22mm dia. Mine cuts from 3.8 mm up to 25mm in 10 steps, but larger dia. drill bits may be available. What is the size of the hole needed?
    Cheers Gerry

There are stepped drill bits that can cut holes in panels accurately. I converted Light 15 front guards into 11bl front guards using one of these to cut the hole for the headlight cable. 22mm dia. Mine cuts from 3.8 mm up to 25mm in 10 steps, but larger dia. drill bits may be available. What is the size of the hole needed?
    I can't remember exactly, but the drillholes for the base wouldn't have exceeded 10-12 mm with a 7 or 8 mm bolt, something like that. It was an easy fitting job. I didn't reinforce the panel and the nutserts have behaved.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Well, well, a C-matic! Enjoy it. I've never had the mirror electrics working fully, and once it is in the right position, I just leave it alone.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Mine has the electric mirror and the base fitting has a large central nut with two flats for an open ended spanner and with the mirror wiring passing through the body of the nut! This is why the extra threaded support panel needed to be installed in the door!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 30th January 2018 at 09:10 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

Mine has the electric mirror and the base fitting has a large central nut with two flats for an open ended spanner and with the mirror wiring passing through the body of the nut!
    Yeah that is the one. The later cars stick with the same setup. I thought was was closer to 20mm .... Not 12mm as John suggested
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hmm. I'd better have a closer look! Memory playing tricks perhaps.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Easiest place to first check the electrics to your mirror is inspecting the wiring between the pillar and the door - with years of use wires here will sometimes fracture and you'll variously lose your power window; mirror control; speaker, or on the later models the central locking depending upon which wire/s break first.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Found the photos! The base is held on with two small bolts and the mirror slots into the base and is held by a single grub screw.

There is a four pin electrical joiner floating free and no sign of a big nut.

I guess there are two types of fitting and I have the other one!!

I didn't make any effort to go electrical when fitting it, as the flat glass and the convex stick on together give me all the vision I need down the left hand side of the car.

Great result, just first find a mirror AND the matching base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-insert-example.jpg   1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-insert-tool.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnW; 30th January 2018 at 06:23 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

that big circle in the dirt .... that is the mounting hole/nut size.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

that big circle in the dirt .... that is the mounting hole/nut size.
    Yes, that's what I think too. It's the mark/shape on the rubber gasket under the base, but there was no big nut on the mirror I used, or the base. I'm puzzled, but definitely all I needed was two nutserts. I could pull it off and check, but I'm not keen....

Either way, our poster needs to find one and fit whatever turns up.

I do wonder how I survived without that left hand outside mirror, the same applying to my Renault 750!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger

Early mirrors were like the DS and GS style mirrors and they fitted into a threaded hole in the door. It's been a long time since I looked at one, but I think the large hole may be an artefact of that earlier setup.

The (manual remote) black plastic rectangular mirrors on the 81 CX Pallas wreck I had were also fitted via a base plate with the singular large nut through the middle of which ran the wires. However, rather than the singular grub screw that secured the chrome upper body to the base plate, the plastic ones used two screws below a clip on cover to secure the upper body to the base plate.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    The (manual remote) black plastic rectangular mirrors on the 81 CX Pallas wreck I had were also fitted via a base plate with the singular large nut through the middle of which ran the wires. However, rather than the singular grub screw that secured the chrome upper body to the base plate, the plastic ones used two screws below a clip on cover to secure the upper body to the base plate.
    I'm totally confused now! I'll pull my left hand one off tomorrow - it is chrome, with a single grub screw holding the mirror to the base.... I promise a photograph!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Here are the photos of my left hand mirror and its base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-mirror-mount-bolted-door.jpg   1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-mirror-body.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Your best bet for a suitable mirror might be to check out your local Euro wreckers and look for some 70's era cars such as BMW and maybe Jag.

The ones on the CX look very much like those on my 1977 BMW 3.0L sedan.

That didn't originally have a passenger side mirror.

I bought one from USA, and as suggested above, doesn't quite suit as the movement is set up for the driver on that side of the car.

If you fins something suitable, it will probably have a base plate and you will need to drill holes to suit.

You might also find that inside the door their is a reinforcing plate already there, presumably because doors are the same on LHD and RHD cars.

Good Luck with your Citroen adventure.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Here are the photos of my left hand mirror and its base.
    That large central hole is where the fixing I described attaches. The cable you have tucked up in the base passes through the centre of the fixing nut. Those two set screws in the base plate are not original! They obviously do a good job of holding the mirror did you attach nuts inside the door panel?
    Cheers Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information