1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ?? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    That large central hole is where the fixing I described attaches. The cable you have tucked up in the base passes through the centre of the fixing nut. Those two set screws in the base plate are not original! They obviously do a good job of holding the mirror did you attach nuts inside the door panel?
    Yes, I understand that but there is no big nut and no male threaded fitting on the mirror that would accommodate a big nut and extend through a big hole to fix the whole assembly! There's a medium-sized nut up inside the mirror, with the wires coming out through it (you can see this on one of the photos). The bolts go through the original holes in the mirror base as I received it from a Citroen man in Holland. They attach into nutserts I fitted directly in the door skin (check my earlier photos).

Advertisement

I can only conclude that there is more than one mirror fixing system.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Glad you have a 79 CX . Fabulous Car! I drove one for many years. definately the best car from the driving perspective, and what a beautiful stylish design. They need a fair amount of maintenence. Mainly electical wiring of the ignition system and suspension arm bearings prone to wear.
    I often thought a left side mirror would be good, but it seemed too much effort for a little gain. I prefered driving to tinkering. Good luck with the lovely cx . David.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Yes, I understand that but there is no big nut and no male threaded fitting on the mirror that would accommodate a big nut and extend through a big hole to fix the whole assembly! There's a medium-sized nut up inside the mirror, with the wires coming out through it (you can see this on one of the photos). The bolts go through the original holes in the mirror base as I received it from a Citroen man in Holland. They attach into nutserts I fitted directly in the door skin (check my earlier photos).

I can only conclude that there is more than one mirror fixing system.
    Here is a picture of the RHS wing mirror fixing system. Note that there are no extra holes for set screws.
    1979 citroen cx wing mirrors ??-dsc_05981.jpg
    Cheers Gerry

[QUOTE=gerrypro;1555124][LEFT]Here is a picture of the RHS wing mirror fixing system. Note that there are no extra holes for set screws.[QUOTE]

Thanks Gerry. Well, I've never seen that before! There you go - my base doesn't have a mark showing the central fasterner was ever there but the hole is fairly clear!! Happily the nuserts have worked well.

Either way, our new friend will benefit from getting one!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

At the end of all this all that is important is the solution to the problem. Your method of fixing avoids having to remove those fragile door cards to mount the inner plate for the central fixing nut! Also it solves the problem of the mirror twisting when the central nut becomes a little loose!
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Yes, you know I'd never thought of twisting, but I'd not seen the fitting anyway. I hate touching door cards for all the obvious reasons, and my front ones are new/warped a bit ones, held on with a bit of external engineering at the bottom rear corners.... Bloody things...

I know where there are moulds for GRP ones, but what a job!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Both the 78 and 81 CXs I owned missed out on the left mirror. The 81 had an aftermarket that flopped about so I took it off.

I found the internal mirror, adjusted a little left, captured the 'c' window behind the back door perfectly, reducing the blind spot brilliantly. Although i did miss it when trying to exit a right lane into the left lane.

Just a thought...

Thankfully the 85 GTi is adorned with a left wing mirror.

Enjoy the car and hope she is kind to your wallet. You will never drive another car like it (except perhaps a GS, DS or SM). Don't be too frightened by it's "complexity",but make sure you deal with things as they arrive and keep it undercover and as rust free as possible.

When the last gallon of petrol is sold, I hope it travels through my CX.
    JohnW likes this.

I did a back to back drive of our C-matic and a DS BVH a few years ago. Quite an experience. Both are quite unique and surprisingly different, the CX perhaps more modern in many ways and rather easier to deal with, at least considering front brakes for example!

No-one will ever do anything like them again, that's for sure.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information