• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By robbi3

Thread: C4 1.6HDI Starter Motor

Tadpole

Default C4 1.6HDI Starter Motor

Has anybody replaced the starter motor on a 1.6HDI? Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

The local dealership said that it's a 3 hour job and wanted $1300 for parts and labour. They also said that they have difficulty sourcing starters that fit properly. I'm unsure how reliable that statement is.

I thought about getting a starter from a wreckers and trying to replace it myself. This is the second starter that has gone on the car. Is there anything else that should be checked?

The car is a 2006 C4.

Thanks Robert

Pain in the ass. I did one on my 1.6 hdi berlingo. Wouldn't do it again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Fellow Frogger!

If it is similar to a 1.6L Pug 307 then it is not too hard. Yes they are a pain, but less so than spending $1000+. Get a new one off ebay.uk and wait for it to get posted. Then you just start undoing it and everything in the way. I am guessing it is at the front of the engine? If so, you can do it from within the engine bay, without taking off any manifolds. There are not timing issues to worry about, but disconnect the battery lead, otherwise you will get some interesting sparks from the ends of your spanners.

Wow - what's tricky about the 1.6 ? I've done the 2.0 HDi and it takes maybe 30mins - 3 attachment bolts, 2 power nuts and it's out. I'm guessing that either the inlet manifold or the slam panel is in a grossly different place on the 1.6 which restricts access.

Second hand starter from a wreckers cost me $160. The wrecker checked and supplied based on my VIN. I pulled the old one apart and with a new set of bushes it could have been repaired.

How many km's has the car done ? It's basically impossible to bolt it in incorrectly, so it's likely you have some sort of ring gear damage at this stage. Was the previous replacement new or used ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

The reason for the challenge. Its on the back of the engine tucked beneath egr valve. And vacuum capsule for the turbo vacuum lines. The petrol ones are easy as are the 2 liter diesels! But if you got some time, tools and patience give it go and save the dollars! Definetley not worth paying someone a grand to do! Placed in that situation I'd do it again!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it!

Have ordered a starter motor from the wreckers and hopefully should attempt to replace it later this week. The dealership said that it's a 3 hour job.

1000+ Posts

Hi robbie3
    If it is that difficult to replace and you have already replaced one, then I would take it to an auto electrician (or DIY)to replace the brushes and check the bearings etc before fitting it. This should maximise the service life before the next difficult change !
    Jaahn
    David S likes this.

Tadpole

I forgot to update this. I got the starter motor in. Everything was so tight to access!

For general info if anyone has to do this:
    I followed the Haynes manual. Had to remove a lot from the engine bay to access the top bolt. The bolts were hex (allen) keys and pretty horrible to line up with a socket extension as I couldn't see one of the bolts above the solenoid.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by robbi3 View Post
    I forgot to update this. I got the starter motor in. Everything was so tight to access!

For general info if anyone has to do this:
    I followed the Haynes manual. Had to remove a lot from the engine bay to access the top bolt. The bolts were hex (allen) keys and pretty horrible to line up with a socket extension as I couldn't see one of the bolts above the solenoid.
    Unless I'm mistaken, they shouldn't be Allen key bolts but Torx. They look similar but are different. Torx are the ones that have the small fins on the side. Using an Allen key on a Torx bolt can lead to tears as you crush the "fins" inside the bolt head.

2.0 HDi starter bolts are Torx bolts as well. Looks like the 1.6 is different on quite a few counts.

Glad to hear you had success replacing it. We love our thread followups - closure is a wonderful thing !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, they shouldn't be Allen key bolts but Torx. They look similar but are different. Torx are the ones that have the small fins on the side. Using an Allen key on a Torx bolt can lead to tears as you crush the "fins" inside the bolt head.
    Hi mate. They were defiantly Allen key bolts.
    UFO likes this.

Thread Information