DS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Glenn Drake
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: DS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.

Default DS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.

Dear Comrades,

Does anyone have any suggestions (experience) on how to re-mount the heater control box under the interior Autoclima aircon unit. I have read a number of very helpful entries in this forum (thanks Chris /Greenblood - your donated reconditioned dash/dials is still going strong !) and some pics on nuancierds provide some hope..

My 74/75 DS 23 came sans the box and I'm never sure what to do with the levers - it would be nice to reconnect the box (I found a good one on eBay) and the light also.

Any help from the collective would be appreciated.

cheers

Ramon

Advertisement

DS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.-clim-chausson.jpgDS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.-koolaire.jpg
    1974 DS23 ie Pallas 5 speed

Default DS23 -How to mount heater controls under Autoclima aftermarket air-conditioning.

Hi, I have left the controls in place and mounted autoclima with spacer per pics below.
    The spacer strip between dash and aircon unit (below glovebox) is original citroen piece but I played with positioning to best suit me.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by Glenn Drake; 26th January 2018 at 01:00 PM.
    GreenBlood and ramonm like this.

Thanks Glen for taking the trouble to post photos.

That is really helpful.

Your dash looks fantastic BTW. It looks very neat, as does the carpet trim around the aircon mechanism on the passenger side.

I think I will have to re-position the mounting brackets for the ducting to get that to work, mine is installed much further under the dash. - It is a bit of a process to get it to fit !!

On another note, did that piece of carpet come with a one of the Pallas sets or did you have it made up ? I have been a bit dissappoiinted with the quality of my carpet set.

Thanks again

Ramon

Fellow Frogger

It's interesting to see you still have the cover plate for the heater cables under the glovebox. It's the thin strip of speckle painted steel wedged between the AC unit and the dash. They seem to be missing in the cars I've encountered with Autoclima AC fitted, possibly to ever so slightly give back the LH foot well space lost when you have both AC and EFI (ECU under a cover in the footwell).

Re carpet - a lucky dip like most repro stuff. Some of it looks great, but is not always very durable. Other carpet just looks totally wrong. Ask for a sample and abuse it to see how it wears and if the backing falls apart or drops the pile. Remember, the factory changed from a tufted pile to a non-tufted, fairly fuzzy carpet around 1974 from what I can tell. The later carpet is more like what you found in a CX. The mustard carpet tends to sub-age to all kinds of horrible yellow/orange/brown shades. The earlier tufted carpet is more appealing and probably better quality.
    Last edited by David S; 26th January 2018 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's interesting to see you still have the cover plate for the heater cables under the glovebox. It's the thin strip of speckle painted steel wedged between the AC unit and the dash. They seem to be missing in the cars I've encountered seen with Autoclima AC fitted, possibly to ever so slightly give back the LH foot well space lost when you have both AC and EFI (ECU under a cove in the footwell).
    I found that strip really interfered with the fit of the Autoclma to dash, removed it and had a much better fit - It is described as being removed in the American Coolair under dash installation item#13. Unfortunately the original installation on mine had caused some distortion to my under dash plastic - may experiment with heat to rectify, one day, oh yes, one day. . .

Of course this is a LHD install so we would remove the cable cover on the left hand side.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...014_1000px.jpg
    http://www.citrowagon.fr/754_%20noti...tage_clim.html

Cheers
    Chris
    David S and ramonm like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

If you are removing the AC, which actually has some merit as long as you use the car only in cooler weather, you really want to refit that strip to keep the cables hidden.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ramon. There are full fitting instructions on the internet on that site where all the manuals are. There was a link to it that someone gave me when I was having an issue with the drive shaft. It recommends simply screwing it in to the bottom of the sutovlims unit. The area where you do this is only ducting anyway. I am slowly getting mine done but may need to have a look at yours to get the inside fitting right

Fellow Frogger!

Bloody spell correct. Autoclima unit

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Bloody spell correct. Autoclima unit
    'sutovlims' Is that the East European knock off???

The carpet covering the autoclima came with a complete Pallas set from the UK.
    Wasn’t meant for this exact purpose, rather to carpet the passenger top footwell bulkhead...which I’ve only ever see pictures of in LHD models.
    Had to ‘customise’ it to fit, but I’m happy with the result.
    Mine is carby 74 model so did not have the ENORMOUS EFI solid state panel further restricting passenger footwell space.
    After all, aircon in a DS is all about compromise I reckon.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Thanks Chris,

Those links are very helpful.

Ramon

Thanks again Glenn - agree its a compromise, that EFI panel takes up quite a bit space, but having functioning air con is quite nice..

I am going to add new carpet to my to do list.

Ramon

Hi Ramon. There are full fitting instructions on the internet on that site where all the manuals are. There was a link to it that someone gave me when I was having an issue with the drive shaft. It recommends simply screwing it in to the bottom of the sutovlims unit. The area where you do this is only ducting anyway. I am slowly getting mine done but may need to have a look at yours to get the inside fitting right
    Cheers Peter,

I now remember we had a brief discussion about this at some stage - Happy to catch up for an inspection.

Ramon

OK Thanks Peter

I think the link is on Chris's post above - sounds like the idea is you remove the controls from the transmission tunnel and fix them underneath the Autoclima ducting - I will have a look.

Thanks again
    Ramon

Thread Information