Retrofit power steering to 67 ID21?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Retrofit power steering to 67 ID21?

Hi folks -

Advertisement

I have been wondering if it is possible to fit a power steering system on a 1967 ID21F Safari? If so, what I need to prepare?

Have been driving for few hours and feel that a power steering system will make the ride more joyful

Kelvin

Fellow Frogger!

Yes,. it can be done. I had power steering fitted to my humble ID19B 'Confort' spec. It was a left hooker and, as an ID, had manual gear change - so a very simplified hydraulic system. Originally it had the smaller style of hydraulic pump bolted to the side of the block near the alternator/ generator. It was powered by an extra cam on the camshaft. That was plated-off and replaced by the bigger seven piston pump which is of course belt driven and mounted next to the alternator/ generator. I assume the mounting lugs were already cast into the bell housing. It needed at least one bracing bar. Pump had two pulley grooves. Didn't need the third as there was no centrifugal regulator to power. Trying to remember if it needed a new cam pulley (for the belt to drive the pump). Don't think it did. I swapped the steering wheels as manual/ BVH have male/ female ends to match the fitment to the manual/ hydraulic steering rack. Manual steering wheel is also bigger so that you can tug the car around corners. Can't remember if there was any extra return pipework to the reservoir needed or whether the reservoir had to be swapped up to. Sounds a lot but was quite straightforward. Having spent several years dragging the car around corners, the difference afterwards was amazing! Highly recommended!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've done an early long stroke as well. I needed the pump, rack, column, plumbing, centering cam ... I also fitted a later regulator ( as I went to LHM ).

he may have all the correct pulleys in place. Its always easiest if you have a parts car to do the swap from.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

As it is a safari I expect it has the 7-piston hydraulic pump already in place, which will make the plumbing easier.

I would need to look up the parts books to see whether the steering relay shafts were different lengths in power steering and manual steering cars of that vintage, as they were in the earlier cars with long-stroke engines.

Roger

Of course adding citroen power steering would seem preferable. But there is no reason why you couldn't use a generic bolt on electric power steering kit. They sell for a little over $1000 and attach to the steering column.

Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post
    Of course adding citroen power steering would seem preferable. But there is no reason why you couldn't use a generic bolt on electric power steering kit. They sell for a little over $1000 and attach to the steering column.
    Nooooooooooooooo.... Proper high pressure Citroen racks are the best. You need the "chuff chuff" of the rotating union... the crazy bouncing of the wheel on full lock .... etc You also don't have any low pressure high flow hydraulic sources, so you would need to add another pump for standard power steering
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Yes I agree about the high pressure system Double Chevron. But the electic power system kit doesn't have any hydraulics. Pure 12 volt electric . seems a very easy add on. David

Yes I agree about the high pressure system Double Chevron. But the electic power system kit doesn't have any hydraulics. Pure 12 volt electric . seems a very easy add on. David
    Could not be done ----because the gear change mechanism would get in the way of the electric unit! Works well on a Traction however. Plenty of room for the installation ----just ask Rob Little!
    Cheers Gerry

Good point. I didn't consider the gearchange.
    It's a good thing though, I wouldn't like to see a hot rod abomination like that under the bonnet of a Safari!

Many years ago I had a red fluid ID , the steering was to heavy for the girlfriend , so I fitted a green ( LHM ) power steer rack mounted a 5 piston pump in the usual place above starter motor fitted a LHM tank and regulator .Also changed the long drag links for the shorter power steer ones , less turns lock to lock.
    The original single piston LHS pump was left in place for suspension and brakes.
    Looked odd under the bonnet with two tanks but was much nicer to drive,
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Many years ago I had a red fluid ID , the steering was to heavy for the girlfriend , so I fitted a green ( LHM ) power steer rack mounted a 5 piston pump in the usual place above starter motor fitted a LHM tank and regulator .Also changed the long drag links for the shorter power steer ones , less turns lock to lock.
    The original single piston LHS pump was left in place for suspension and brakes.
    Looked odd under the bonnet with two tanks but was much nicer to drive,
    Now that is interesting. Did you put a padlock ont he bonnet just to make sure no-one ever put the wrong fluid into the wrong hole
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

generic bolt on electric power steering kit. They sell for a little over $1000 and attach to the steering column.
    If that path is possible, add in the cost of upgrading the alternator and drive system to a unit which will cope with demands of the electric steering. More than likely a 120 amp unit.

The drive belt & pulley upgrades would be the most work.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Rob is right. And there is another issue: the accessories are driven from the camshaft, so the timing chain would also cop a pasting.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If that path is possible, add in the cost of upgrading the alternator and drive system to a unit which will cope with demands of the electric steering. More than likely a 120 amp unit.

The drive belt & pulley upgrades would be the most work.

Not true .
    I have electric power steer on the rally car , it has its own 20 amp fuse , never had to change the fuse.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Now that is interesting. Did you put a padlock ont he bonnet just to make sure no-one ever put the wrong fluid into the wrong hole
    Never a problem as I do all my own service work.
    The tanks were different colors , the original LHS tank was black and the new LHM tank green . Carried a bottle of each fluid in the car.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Good point. I didn't consider the gearchange.
    It's a good thing though, I wouldn't like to see a hot rod abomination like that under the bonnet of a Safari!
    Hey now.....
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information