The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia

Default The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia

I've purchased 12 Citroens over the past 17 years from Continental Cars. I love Citroen cars, but more than that it is Continental Cars who make the experience so good. They are fantastic, and the reason I've kept going back.

Enter Inchcape. The dumping of Continental as a dealer by Inchcape, which I commented on in another thread in these forums last month, has left me very angry and over the past two days has shown me just how bad Inchcape are.

My Grand Picasso developed an engine fault last week. Continental got the car in right away and diagnosed the problem - Emission fault P20E8 00 Pressure of urea fluid too low (Intermittent). They've done all checks required (car is on latest software, has the latest breather-type adblue tank cap fitted, has the late-type tank, Adblue tank is full). Outcome is that the tank needs to be replaced. Continental even checked that the tank part is in stock in Australia and provided the part number and cost ($3,000). Excellent customer service.

But of course they can no longer repair the car under warranty so it will need diagnosis (again) and repair by an "authorised" dealer.

So I contacted Citroen to plead my case, wanting Continental to be allowed to do the work. No, I must contact an "authorised" dealer.

Sydney City Citroen (23km away) - can see the car 22/1/2018 and can provide a loan car (at my cost). However, they also advised that they are in the final weeks of being a Citroen Dealer. Come the middle of February, they're done. So I'd better hurry. They kept referring to my car as a Peugeot during the call and then correcting themselves.

North Shore Citroen (39km away) - can see the car 30/1/2018 and can provide a loan car (at my cost). Want me to email all personal and car details first to set me up in the system and then I can book it in. Didn't really want to converse with me on the phone, just wanted me to email them.

Trivett Citroen Parramatta (36km away) - voicemail answers the phone advising that they open late December and to check their website for more details. They're obviously still not open.

Peter Warren Warwick Farm (37km away) - can see the car 29/1/2018, won't provide a loan car (only for service customers, and even if they did it would be a 3 week wait). Are a new dealer, few Citroen techs (newly trained). Didn't sound interested.

Had Continental been allowed to do the work, the part would have been ordered and the car would already be repaired and back on the road and I'd have had a free loan car for a day. Straightforward.

Advertisement

Now I am faced with either driving the car with the fault for 1-2 weeks or not driving it at all while I wait to get it seen to. And I will be out of pocket to pay for a loan car for however long they have my car and I will lose additional time given the distance I need to travel.

It's a deplorable situation. My complaints to Citroen are met with "sorry, that's the way it is".

So Inchcape have managed to turn me from a positive brand ambassador into a very angry customer in the space of a few months. I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with their customer service section (only one person with a lengthy wait time) but they can't say anything other than rehash company policy and say sorry. I've asked my complaint to be passed on to management but know it won't go anywhere.

It seems I can't post anything to Citroen's Facebook page that will be visible. I've sent a tweet but have basically resigned myself to putting up with whatever crap Inchcape feels like dishing up. To say I am angry is an understatement.
    Last edited by diesel pete; 16th January 2018 at 04:15 PM.
    LeMansTragic and danielsydney like this.

1000+ Posts

Talk to Alan Mackay at Moss Vale. They are a Pug, now new Cit dealer, but have been fixing Pugs and Cits for a long time, and people seem happy with them, which is more than can be said for the Sydney dealers. I know of a Cit diesel for which they solved a problem .

I know it's a hike down there, but may be worth it. There is a motorway and rail service. Greg B may even have a contact.
    danielsydney likes this.

Try copying "Choice" magazine in your emails to Inchcape. It might help.

1000+ Posts

It wouldn't hurt to repost the cast of this tragedy again
    The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia-citroen-dealers-dec-1a.jpg

Thank God I'm a Fwenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

The Continental website doesn't seem to have been updated and still offers new cars for sale......

and the "New" Citroen dealer South ofBrisbane doesn't seem to even be sure if they are dealers yet and not keen to book a C5 for service....
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

What a shambles. I've just received an email from the local Renault dealer to announce their move to new, larger premises. You guessed, it is the old Allpike Peugeot and Citroen site, recently vacated!

I can't speak highly enough of Continentals for remote help with phone calls from Perth. How stupid can you be?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Inchcape gives the impression that before they can mass market these cars, they must first make an effort to alienate the existing owners. It's a strange sales tactic.

I must say that should I buy another Citroen, unlikely with the present range, it will be from a country dealer, and I'll have to find a way to get warranty work done. I have owned a Subaru, and cannot recommend anyone in Sydney for that make either.
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Could it be that the Dealers are also getting a bum steer from Inchcape?

1000+ Posts

Well, the only dealer shop in the Sydney area you'd put a car into got the bum's rush.

2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

you might have a consumer affairs case on your hands with that mess. Flown Jetstar lately? Dealt with Telstra? This malaise is widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    you might have a consumer affairs case on your hands with that mess. Flown Jetstar lately? Dealt with Telstra? This malaise is widespread.
    You have a point there. The last time I flew Jetstar ..... was the last time I will ever do that.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Their dealer lists Jarvis in Adelaide as the local Citroen dealer.
    I had heard they were only taking on the Peugeot dealership.
    Must have changed their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to repost the cast of this tragedy again
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citroen Dealers Dec 1a.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	102677
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Closed as well ??

The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia-chip-tuning.jpg

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I am pretty close to approaching the ACCC.

During one of my calls to Inchcape yesterday, the person I was speaking with said she would get back to me after passing my concerns on to management. Would I prefer she phone me or send an email. I asked for a phone call. Of course there was no phone call. Just an email late in the day advising the following:

Date: 16 January 2018 4:16:31 PM
    Subject: RE: Citroen Dealer Network Update

Hi Peter,

I have been in contact with a senior manager regarding your vehicle, they have advised that while they empathise with your reported circumstances they unfortunately are unable to provide a loan vehicle at this point.

Citroen Australia does not cover any expense of the warranty repair.

I would like to advise although North Shore Citroen does represent our brand they are an independent business and they are entitled to charge for loan vehicles.

We would recommend contacting Trivett Parramatta regarding your warranty repairs to coordinate if they are able to organise a loan vehicle for the time that your vehicle is in for repairs.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,
    Camilla Page
    Customer Service Advisor - Inbound
    [email protected]
    The response doesn't provide any optimism about future warranty issues. And the comment about Citroen Australia not covering any expense of the warranty repair concerns me. I've asked for clarification on this and am awaiting a response.

I tried to call Trivett Parramatta again this morning. The phone answered this time so I asked why I got a recorded message yesterday. The receptionist had no idea why. I asked if service for Citroen was available and she said it was and transferred me. The phone rang for a while and eventually was answered with "Hyundai Service". I told the guy I wanted Citroen and he said "their line must be busy" and took my name and number so they could call back. It's now 3 hours later and no-one has phoned me back.

So this afternoon my wife drove the car to Sydney City Citroen in Zetland. They said they could get her a loan car later today when one returns (better than yesterday's advice) but she'd have to come back. They'd diagnose our car tomorrow and provide an update.

During my second call with Inchcape I learned that a new Trivett Citroen will be opening at Alexandria on O'Riordan Street, but they couldn't tell me when. I guess with Inchcape having their own dealers at Parramatta and Alexandria, they didn't want Sydney City or Continental on their dealer map.

I did receive a response from my tweet yesterday in which I tagged the main Citroen account (presumably Europe). PCA didn't respond, but Citroen Europe did. They DM'd me to advise I must contact Citroen Australia. So I've taken the opportunity to let them what's happening, including the termination of a dealer that has 60 years of selling and servicing Citroens in Australia. I hope they look into this.
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Closed as well ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chip Tuning.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	102698

Cheers

Justin
    Only until this weekend

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by diesel pete View Post
    During my second call with Inchcape I learned that a new Trivett Citroen will be opening at Alexandria on O'Riordan Street, but they couldn't tell me when. I guess with Inchcape having their own dealers at Parramatta and Alexandria, they didn't want Sydney City or Continental on their dealer map.
    Last I heard, probably not trading till March.

I suspect Peter Warren opening a Citroen agent at their Liverpool location would be closer to the reason why Con Cars was given the flick, but that’s just my theory.
    diesel pete likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

An update to my ongoing saga...

After letting Inchcape know that I would be approaching the ACCC over their email advising that PCA don't cover warranty costs, I received this response:

Date: Wednesday, 17 January 2018 at 2:48 pm
    Subject: RE: Citroen Dealer Network Update

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your email correspondence,
    I apologise, I have made a typing mistake. Citroen Australia does not cover expense outside of the warranty repair. At this stage, your vehicle has not been diagnosed by an authorised dealer yet and although the Citroen centre used to be a part of the Citroen franchise, the authorised dealer will need to open there own repair order and make a submission for warranty. Our warranty team have no record of the repairs required to your vehicle at this stage.
    As explained over the phone, once the vehicle has been diagnosed at an authorised service centre and deemed a warranty issue, the dealer will be able to provide a loan vehicle through a third party and charge it back to warranty providing it meets the below criteria. The dealer will be aware of this process.

1. Loan vehicle support up to 4 days for general in warranty repairs (must be supported Ticket (first level troubleshooting with the factory), back order of part from France or extensive repair time)
    2. Repairs beyond 4 days (must be supported by a ticket and approved by PWA (warranty).

Once your vehicle is diagnosed, I am able to follow up with the dealer regarding your repairs.

Thank you.
    We didn't end up getting a loan car as there was no certainty as to when one would be available and according to the above email, until it's confirmed as a warranty issue a loan car won't be provided anyway. So I left work early and drove over to Zetland to pick up my wife from the dealer.

We had to phone them a few times today to get an update as to the diagnosis, and eventually got onto to someone who confirmed the same diagnosis that Continental had last week. They've now submitted a request for approval to repair under warranty - apparently this request goes to France. So if approval comes back overnight and they then order the parts tomorrow (Friday) it will be Monday when parts arrive. So we may get the car back Tuesday.

Had Continental still been a dealer, my car would already be repaired and I'd have had a loan car for the 1 or 2 days the car was off the road. Inchcape have created the situation where my car will be off the road for 5-6 days and no loan car provided. I don't blame Sydney City Citroen and am thankful they've done what they can given they are closing the Citroen dealership within weeks.

As for Trivett Parramatta, they never returned my call. I left a specific message that it was an engine fault, that the car was warning it shouldn't be driven, and that I needed urgent help. Really pathetic.

I've now posted on Citroen's facebook page. Will see if that goes anywhere, but I suspect not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Their dealer lists Jarvis in Adelaide as the local Citroen dealer.
    I had heard they were only taking on the Peugeot dealership.
    Must have changed their mind.
    Either that or Jarvis themselves don't even know yet. If you go to Citroen Australia's website and go to 'find a dealer', type in Adelaide and Jarvis Citroen comes up. Go to the Jarvis Groups home page and they don't list Citroen as one of their brands ....

Go past Jarvis Ford at Trinity Gardens and you wouldn't even know, that is the place to get your Peugeot and Citroen serviced, with not one piece of signage, not even from Portrush Rd.

I see they've closed their Ford dealership at Hillcrest on North East Rd and it's now Jarvis Skoda.
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive
    2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    2000 Volkswagen Polo 16V 1.6L Manual Hatch - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

good on you for kicking up a stink! Respect!

My wife had toyed with buying a Citroen recently but I advised her against it after the input on this website.

fools.
    diesel pete likes this.

1000+ Posts

If Inchcape is reading - I have two Cits, and am unlikely to get another while they run their business like this. They make Sime Darby look good.
    diesel pete and Berridale like this.

Citroen Europe responded again to my Tweet tonight, asking for my contact details, where I purchased the car, VIN, etc. Good to see them showing an interest in what's happening.
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

You have to wonder if a new distributor sees Continental as being TOO close to their customers, thus a divided loyalty and potential troublemakers.
    Distributors are driven by the profit motive as opposed to being automotive enthusiasts I guess.......a bit sad if theyíre just tin pushers.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Seriously, I am so p!ssed off!

Sydney City Citroen said if approval was received by 2pm today they could repair the car and we'd have it back this afternoon. So I phoned Citroen Australia who said they requested additional documentation and were still waiting for it.

It took 4 more phone calls and two emails across the afternoon until I finally got to speak with someone at the dealer at 4:45pm who explained that they have to submit paperwork via their own dealer warranty department who then on-send it to Citroen Australia for approval. Apparently my car is one of 6 cases this person is managing and the additional paperwork has gone to their warranty department but not on-sent to PCA.

So we won't have the car back this weekend and at this stage it's not even looking likely for the first half of next week.

Inchcape and what's left of their Citroen dealer network is a total shambolic f*#@ing mess.

Bad luck. Doesn't look like that paperless office we were promised about 30 years ago has quite come to pass yet.....
    jaahn and diesel pete like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread Information