The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: The total disaster that is Inchcape and Citroen Australia

Fellow Frogger!

"I wrote an email to Linda Jackson, Citroen CEO. The benefit of having a LinkedIn account."
    The point is Citroen is a great product and maybe they need to know the service needs to improve here and it is not what some customers have in mind?

Some car companies operate right outside the square and their dealers do the same, Morgan for one flourishes because all the way down the line people "get it".
    Lamborghini is another , they make it an art form.
    Citroen/Peugeot/Renault customers demand something different which is why they don't buy Toyota.
    You can't change this and it seems a fundamental mistake not have insight into the reasons why people like French cars if your in the business of selling and servicing them?

Advertisement

Those business who do "get it" do well and survive for years .
    Last edited by Berridale; 22nd January 2018 at 11:08 PM.
    diesel pete and danielsydney like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    "I wrote an email to Linda Jackson, Citroen CEO. The benefit of having a LinkedIn account."
    The point is Citroen is a great product and maybe they need to know the service needs to improve here and it is not what some customers have in mind?

Some car companies operate right outside the square and their dealers do the same, Morgan for one flourishes because all the way down the line people "get it".
    Citroen/Peugeot/Renault customers demand something different which is why they don't buy Toyota.
    You can't change this and it seems a fundamental mistake not have insight into the reasons why people like French cars if your in the business of selling and servicing them?

Those business who do "get it" do well and survive for years .
    Yes, and this always starts at the top. I don't think Inchcape gets it.

We went and retrieved the Picasso this afternoon from Sydney City Citroen. My wife had to wait a while and said the service section was a bit of a zoo with some unhappy customers.

The Picasso is now warning that it can be driven for another 1,100 km before it will refuse to start. I am hoping PCA can get their approvals sorted out with the dealer in the next week or the car will have to be towed.

No good news today.

The dealer still doesn't have approval and advised that they will not order the part until they have approval.

Given that Friday is a public holiday, they would need to get approval tomorrow (Wednesday) to get the part by Thursday and do the repair. So it's looking like this saga will stretch into next week.

Citroen Europe has direct messaged me via Twitter the past two days to enquire about progress but have said they can't do much more. I'm grateful that they've maintained an interest, which is more than Inchcape have been able to muster.
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Really pathetic.

Shocking service. I have always admired the C4 Cactus from afar thinking it might be my next new car purchase but with aftersales service like that I'd think twice. Almost as bad as my Local Ford Dealer
    Last edited by LeMansTragic; 24th January 2018 at 06:04 PM.
    diesel pete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMansTragic View Post
    Shocking service. I have always admired at the C4 Cactus from afar thinking it might be my next new car purchase but with aftersales service like that I'd think twice. Almost as bad as my Local Ford Dealer
    Yes, and that's probably the key take-away for me. No matter how much you like a marque for all its style and qualities, it ends up being a very tarnished brand if the after-sales service is poor.

Just called the dealer again and it's still not approved. The service guy was asked by the warranty department to take more photos of the tank, which he's done and sent back, so is now waiting again. It seems that every request for information results in our paperwork going to the bottom of the tray. Care factor is obviously zero.

He confirmed that it's now too late to get the car repaired this week. Total shambles.

No news at all from either Sydney City or PCA today.

So I've just finished submitting a complaint to the ACCC.

1000+ Posts

Would you consider taking the car to Continental, get it repaired then lodge a claim against Inchape or whoever should be responsible for the costs? With the record of no service being provided you would possibly look like a contender for a win at the local court.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Would you consider taking the car to Continental, get it repaired then lodge a claim against Inchape or whoever should be responsible for the costs? With the record of no service being provided you would possibly look like a contender for a win at the local court.
    Contrary to the Distributors specific instructions ?

Going legal is generally the worst possible avenue to achieve a speedy outcome. And if you lose the case you will potentially pay both the repair cost and two lots of legal costs. A most unwise choice IMHO.

I'm not even sure there is currently a consumer law case against Inchcape. They seem to be following due process . And not being fast in doing that is hardly breaking consumer law.

The owner still has a drivable car. It's more a case of the time frame of the repair and the chosen repairer is not meeting his expectations.

Maybe the best option is to chill a bit. Because sure as hell hounding them doesn't seem to be working. And posting a blow by blow description on open forum probably won't help either.

And if push comes to shove the negative commentary could present an issue for AF management too.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    .....And if push comes to shove the negative commentary could present an issue for AF management too.
    Frequent the Renault section and have been reading with interest.
    Don't see how facts relating to a case could harm anyone except those thinking of buying a new Cit.

( Proof of "facts".......well that's another matter. )

Any publicity is not always good publicity.

We went through this crap with Renault in the 80's.
    Took 20+ years and a new generation of people to start buying again.
    The factory has to be involved not a middleman.
    diesel pete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Frequent the Renault section and have been reading with interest.
    Don't see how facts relating to a case could harm anyone except those thinking of buying a new Cit.

( Proof of "facts".......well that's another matter. )

Any publicity is not always good publicity.

We went through this crap with Renault in the 80's.
    Took 20+ years and a new generation of people to start buying again.
    The factory has to be involved not a middleman.
    I think, perhaps, you missed my meaning.

I was eluding to the content, which may be considered as besmirching the name of the distributor being discussed.

1000+ Posts

If you bought a car from a dealer and they were the only ones permitted to do warranty work then the dealer was axed surely someone is at fault for denying the consumer the right to access that service that they agreed to as part of the purchase contract, that is the distributor or parent company should have provisions in place to maintain that warranty agreement especially if the dealer wished to continue to sell and service the vehicles and they had no conflict with the distributor/parent company?
    diesel pete likes this.

The current distributor network/ dealer has accepted responsibility for the warranty repairs.
    Their warranty process is underway. However they need to check with Citroen directly to get autorisation.

It might not be as fast as the owner likes. Or indeed the repair be done the owner's preferred repairer.

As I understand he is not without a drivable car.

So the vehicle manufacturer's obligations are being met.

The previous distributor plays no part in this story.
    harrisson_citroen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I thought about that. The part is over $3,000 including GST, and with labour and refilling the adblue it's probably a $4,000 repair. So I am loathe to go that way.

The current distributor network/ dealer has accepted responsibility for the warranty repairs.
    Their warranty process is underway. However they need to check with Citroen directly to get autorisation.

It might not be as fast as the owner likes. Or indeed the repair be done the owner's preferred repairer.

As I understand he is not without a drivable car.

So the vehicle manufacturer's obligations are being met.

The previous distributor plays no part in this story.
    We are driving the car but it's on a km countdown after which it won't start and will then have to be towed. So we're minimising use of the car which has been quite inconvenient.

I don't think you can say that the manufacturer's obligations are being met - they've not approved warranty repair yet. So how are they being met, in your opinion?

It could be argued that they are still within the limit of a reasonable time to effect the repair but I'd challenge that. Three weeks and counting is not reasonable if they haven't provided me with a loan car.

As for whether I am besmirching the name of the distributor, I am just listing what has happened. If that makes Inchcape look bad then it's all due to their own inaction. But nonetheless you feel that they are meeting their obligations so they shouldn't be concerned about what's being posted here.

1000+ Posts

I guess it is all buried in the fine print and some folks think their opinion is conclusive and consumer rights are an anomaly to be ignored : )
    diesel pete and David S like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I wouldnít try to rush them for a decision, rather ask if they can help with temporary means of transport. Often the dealership is the meat in the sandwich even as they put a case to France.
    Iíll bet Americans will get better assistance when Atlanta hosts PSAís return.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    diesel pete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel pete View Post
    We are driving the car but it's on a km countdown after which it won't start and will then have to be towed. So we're minimising use of the car which has been quite inconvenient.

I don't think you can say that the manufacturer's obligations are being met - they've not approved warranty repair yet. So how are they being met, in your opinion?

It could be argued that they are still within the limit of a reasonable time to effect the repair but I'd challenge that. Three weeks and counting is not reasonable if they haven't provided me with a loan car.

As for whether I am besmirching the name of the distributor, I am just listing what has happened. If that makes Inchcape look bad then it's all due to their own inaction. But nonetheless you feel that they are meeting their obligations so they shouldn't be concerned about what's being posted here.
    Have a look at the title of the thread you chose to use. It's hardly one "just listing what has happened" . And all the unrelated commentary by others helps the thread along it's way to becoming detrimental to the company's "good name".

Even if they "try on it" Af stands to suffer. And legal arguments aren't cut and dried.

Pete, Whilst I feel for you, I'm of the opinion that there is process in place and nought is going to happen until Citroen approve the work to be carried out.

And neither the distributor nor dealer can change that.

And your angst and frustration will ultimately be of no benefit. Because the matter is out of your hands.

Take it or leave it that's my take on it.

Ps I've never said consumer rights should be ignored. Only that when a process in place, after the distributor has accepted responsibility for warranty, you are best served to let it run it's course.

1000+ Posts

It's different when you aren't a Cit owner, it seems.

Pete may be powerless but the transfer in Sydney is utterly unimpressive, and it would appear that where warranties are concerned the whole country is being affected. I had a car fixed under warranty by SD shortly after their takeover from Ateco. No trouble at all.

Current owners are getting occasional sales emails from Inchcape. I cannot bring myself to read them.
    diesel pete and turnbull151 like this.

Have a look at the title of the thread you chose to use. It's hardly one "just listing what has happened" . And all the unrelated commentary by others helps the thread along it's way to becoming detrimental to the company's "good name".

Even if they "try on it" Af stands to suffer. And legal arguments aren't cut and dried.
    True, and if those who run/moderate AF want to rename the thread or delete it, that's fine with me. I've no desire for anyone else to wear any grief because of what I've posted.

Pete, Whilst I feel for you, I'm of the opinion that there is process in place and nought is going to happen until Citroen approve the work to be carried out.

And neither the distributor nor dealer can change that.

And your angst and frustration will ultimately be of no benefit. Because the matter is out of your hands.
    Take it or leave it that's my take on it.
    I know nothing will happen until they approve the work. I just don't want to wait a stupid length of time for it to be done and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a faster resolution. They've diagnosed the car - the process seems to have got stuck due to paperwork and the need for photos. It's ridiculous that days go by when a simple phone call and the exchange of a few emails should be enough to get things moving.

The reason for the angst and frustration is that we drive this car every day - it's my wife's transport for work and for picking up/dropping off kids. When it stops working next week, it's not like we can just sit at home and choose to not go to work. Is it unreasonable to expect better service than this?

Anyway, you are right that it is out of my hands. I've gone as far as I can. Hopefully the ACCC can advise me what they consider to be a reasonable length of time to wait for a warranty repair.

1000+ Posts

I wouldnt worry about your right to freedom of speech, I don’t think it actually exists!

Btw an odd anecdote, whilst suffering mega gastro in Sri Lanka after foolishly drinking tap water in a small country town and ending up seeking proper medicine in Colombo at the hospital, wife in tears as I had ruined our holiday, the doctor threw this one out there saying, “ I felt sorry for myself when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no legs”.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 26th January 2018 at 01:08 AM.
    diesel pete likes this.

“ I felt sorry for myself when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no legs”.
    Of course you could own a Toyota

No! Why a Toyota? You have to pay a premium for lack-lustre motoring, expensive (genuine) parts and long wait times. Go Kia and be done with it. They replaced my tired rear shocks on my Sorento at 99 000ks - free of charge and no arguments.
    If you really want to besmirch this mob send your details to John Cadogan. I'm sure he'd do a good job of besmirching them on his YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by davo8 View Post
    No! Why a Toyota? You have to pay a premium for lack-lustre motoring, expensive (genuine) parts and long wait times. Go Kia and be done with it. They replaced my tired rear shocks on my Sorento at 99 000ks - free of charge and no arguments.
    If you really want to besmirch this mob send your details to John Cadogan. I'm sure he'd do a good job of besmirching them on his YouTube channel.
    Sorry Jc is a opinionated d-h. He also like Mazda a bit too much.
    I bet he wouldn't be keen to disclose the Marquees that fund/ give kickbacks to him.

Journalists who thrive on hyperbole and aggressive presentations don't rate at all in my credibility stakes.

My statement was apropo of :
    “ I felt sorry for myself when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no legs”.
    To explain the meaning in detail:

The man with no shoes overlooked his sadess when he saw the man without legs.

I intended to create a similar comparison with my reply:
    Of course you could own a Toyota
    Hence the implied meaning of being sad owning a (badly supported) Citroen , should be overlooked if owning a Toyota is the alternative.

I apologise for being so obtuse.

However at least we are furious agreement on:
    You have to pay a premium for lack-lustre motoring, expensive (genuine) parts and long wait times
    I'm afraid I still can't bring myself to consider Kia or Hyundai: simply based on the vehicle dynamics. However that was based on my experience three years ago.
    Last edited by robmac; 26th January 2018 at 01:40 PM.

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information