• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 3 Post By turnbull151
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen

Thread: C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How

Default C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How

Hi Fellow Froggers.............

Do you have the Front Passengers Side Door Seal damaged, and can't understand why?

C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-img_0810.jpgC5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-img_0811.jpgC5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-img_0808.jpgC5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-img_0809.jpg

Well here's Why & How:

Replacing the Air Con Pollen Filter is the culprit. How can that be?

The pollen filter is located up under the passengers side footwell, and getting to it is not the easiest of tasks, but one of the first jobs is to put the passengers seat into the rear most position, to help access.

Advertisement

While removal of the duct panel under the glovebox is only the turning of two plastic screws, reaching up for the pollen filter and its cover, requires you to lay almost upside down to get your head and hands into the small cavity besides the glovebox and heater assembly.

Basically, there is only room to extract about 1/3 of the pollen filter, once the cover has been removed, and to remove the remainder, it has to be rotated in a cork screw manner. Citroen in their wisdom have made the filter very flexible. It's the flexibility of the fitter that is the most concerning.

Refitting is actually a little harder, as lining up the filter with the aperture and starting to feed it in, requires two hands in the very limited space, and also part of your head, and some form of lighting, to be able to see what's necessary to carry out the reinsertion of the new filter.

Even after the insertion is completed, the operation still requires the refitting of the filter cover panel, and then the refitting of the under dash panel, and then the extraction of the fitter. The last task is the cause of the door seal problem.

If some form of protection isn't given to the area where you body lays on the seal, the extraction of your body again the seal, tears the small inner section of the sealing rubber where it joins the pinch welt. The damage is not repairable, and new seals aren't cheap. The seal is actually a very poor design.

I've now found that some sort of thick towel folded over, or blanket works pretty well to stop the problem.

And while the replacement of the filter is quite a task, it shouldn't be used as an excuse to not change the filter, as the filter left unchanged can clog to the extent it significantly reduces the AC air flow.

Removal of the filter altogether, will lead to the failure of the AC itself, as the filter stops the accumulation a debris etc completely clogging the unit's evaporator.

So there you have it.......I learn't the hard way, and hopefully this post might stop the damage to the seals on other C5X7's.

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

Greg,

That explains ours being torn. Makes sense.

Cheers

Continental Cars......Naughty Naughty?
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

I'm not familiar with the C5 X7 - is this yet another "lost in translation" problem caused by right hand drive, like that conveniently located heater tap in the BX; those BEHR unit heater hoses so comfortably located beside the CX driver's leg; the minimal glove box courtesy of the blower fan in the GS; etc. or is it just as bad for left hand drive models?
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

LH drive has it worse. The pedals are in the way. This job is a reason we have children.
    C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-filtre-polloen-c5-x7-dp-left-hand-drive.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe this engineer was then asked to design a cup holder?
    Greg, UFO and dieselman like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    LH drive has it worse. The pedals are in the way. This job is a reason we have children.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Filtre polloen C5 X7 DP - left hand drive.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	102417
    First nose C5s have a different filter from the Restyle second nose C5... the original design of filter has a notched plastic perimeter frame so the filter element could be bent to go around corners ( 2 locating screws ), the later filters are a more solid almost rigid framed slab shaped design that must be slotted back into the housing at the exact and difficult angle ( one locating screw ). Different supplier perhaps.

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

I have checked on my X7, but don't seem to suffer from that problem.

However in the same vein, something has puzzled me since I bought the car which has - supposedly - only been serviced at the dealer.
    The scratches under the bi-xenon are a bit of a mystery, as photos show. Any one anything similar, or explanation? Every thing welcome.....but I have already thought of the stuck possum trying to get out and decided against it.
    C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-wp_20180107_11_04_38_pro.jpg C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-wp_20180107_11_04_30_pro.jpg
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, we have same in our 2012 C5. First noticed them when car was about 3 years old.

Do you mean it wasn't there before, and you then noticed it later on?
    Must be some internal issue then. At first I thought it was shoddy repairs by someone accessing the headlight

Sent from my GT-P5110 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Bruce H likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Can't be 100% sure whether it was there before, but I first noticed it when car was about 3 years old. There has been no reason for a mechanic to touch our lights?

Hi Guys,

Our friends 2013 C5 has the same marking on the headlights, and it's probably a chroming (production) fault?

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    We Had:

Thanks Greg,

It is quite visible, and amazing really that QA released the cars like that....But with 3 cars here already identified here with that fault it looks as if they were sold new like that....

In the meantime I have queried a couple of French clubs to see if they have the same proportions overthere or if it is reserved for us in the antipodes and maybe a right hand drive issue. Keep you posted

Fellow Frogger!

This is ours

C5 X7 Passengers Door Seal Damage? Why & How-xenon-damage.jpg

I assumed these were burn marks? I think the Xenons can get hot and if reflector is only plastic then potentially a problem? Xenon dim, need new reflector bowls - maXbimmer Forums

While querying French clubs....... the beam cast by our lights shakes when hitting bumps; is this normal? Perhaps both problems related?

Oh, and with valve bodies, can you ask.......!! (only joking on this one)

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    This is ours

Name:	xenon damage.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	102448

I assumed these were burn marks? I think the Xenons can get hot and if reflector is only plastic then potentially a problem? Xenon dim, need new reflector bowls - maXbimmer Forums

While querying French clubs....... the beam cast by our lights shakes when hitting bumps; is this normal? Perhaps both problems related?

Oh, and with valve bodies, can you ask.......!! (only joking on this one)
    Interesting....I hadn't thought of the heat maybe resulting in this and your photo could show some type of meltiing however it sure doesn't look like any type of melting on mine. Looks to me like scratches from the front towards the rear.
    But according to the frogs i've emailed, they haven't seen this type of damage....and they are adamant it wouldn't be a repair as the whole assembly cannot be dismantled.
    mmmmmm....that's exactly my point though : may be someone TRIED to dismantle it....
    I also get a little trembling vertically with the xenons but only at idle.

UFO

Just checked my C5 and there are no marks on the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I have checked on my X7, but don't seem to suffer from that problem.

However in the same vein, something has puzzled me since I bought the car which has - supposedly - only been serviced at the dealer.
    The scratches under the bi-xenon are a bit of a mystery, as photos show. Any one anything similar, or explanation? Every thing welcome.....but I have already thought of the stuck possum trying to get out and decided against it.

Name:	WP_20180107_11_04_38_Pro.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	102428 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180107_11_04_30_Pro.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	102429
    Maybe the possum was inside but frantic due to being singed? I wonder if it was a pre-deliver attempt to fix something you don't know about, because it was fixed?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Nothing on my 2014 model
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Yes, we have same in our 2012 C5. First noticed them when car was about 3 years old.
    Looks like it is your left hand side headlight ? Same as mine, I wonder if they're all the left ones with theses markings?

1000+ Posts

Passenger door deal damage...turns into a world wide saga...?????

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Passenger door deal damage...turns into a world wide saga...?????

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information