Citroen GS can it do this
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Citroen GS can it do this

Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen GS can it do this

I'm looking for a classic which I can keep long term but use for occasional long trips. I'm looking for a car that can cruise easily at 110 without losing speed on long highway hill. Seats 4 adults comfortably and rides very nicely (like a Jaguar or 504). Also very little body roll. Basically a reliable economical comfortable quiet saloon that handles beautifully.

If a GS can do this what is the chances of getting a good one and how about the long term parts situation?

Regards

Alan

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    I'm looking for a classic which I can keep long term but use for occasional long trips. I'm looking for a car that can cruise easily at 110 without losing speed on long highway hill. Seats 4 adults comfortably and rides very nicely (like a Jaguar or 504). Also very little body roll. Basically a reliable economical comfortable quiet saloon that handles beautifully.

If a GS can do this what is the chances of getting a good one and how about the long term parts situation?

Regards

Alan
    Opinions will vary but GS are revvy little buggers and are quite low geared and being air cooled have ( in Jaguar terms ) a shrill rattly air cooled engine ( and smelly if suffering oil leaks .. the cabin heater vents are direct off the cooling fins ) ) . They handle like a go kart, pretty flat with super direct steering. Chances of a good one are in the lap of the gods, you will only be able to buy what somebody has to sell .. a good one will be very rare. They are really nothing like a 504 in nature and certainly not remotely Jaguar like. As to losing speed on long hills they thrive on revs and torque is limited. Brakes are fully powered by the hydraulic pump and because of the car's low mass you won't better them. Try one, they can be captivating but don't go expecting cathedral like levels of cabin noise. Most by now are ratty and rusty. If you want to enter the Hydropneumatic arena a GS is a good learning proposition. All of the Hydropneumatic long suspension travel ride benefits and balanced powered brakes depending on loading ( a revelation once you adjust to the precision of the pump powered system ) and self levelling but without any unnecessary complications. A rare tyre size.
    fnqvmuch likes this.

Why not a Xantia?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Opinions will vary but GS are revvy little buggers and are quite low geared and being air cooled have ( in Jaguar terms ) a shrill rattly air cooled engine ( and smelly if suffering oil leaks .. the cabin heater vents are direct off the cooling fins ) ) . They handle like a go kart, pretty flat with super direct steering. Chances of a good one are in the lap of the gods, you will only be able to buy what somebody has to sell .. a good one will be very rare. They are really nothing like a 504 in nature and certainly not remotely Jaguar like. As to losing speed on long hills they thrive on revs and torque is limited. Brakes are fully powered by the hydraulic pump and because of the car's low mass you won't better them. Try one, they can be captivating but don't go expecting cathedral like levels of cabin noise. Most by now are ratty and rusty. If you want to enter the Hydropneumatic arena a GS is a good learning proposition. All of the Hydropneumatic long suspension travel ride benefits and balanced powered brakes depending on loading ( a revelation once you adjust to the precision of the pump powered system ) and self levelling but without any unnecessary complications. A rare tyre size.
    A pretty fair & accurate summary.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    A pretty fair & accurate summary.
    Thanks for the comment. I agree a nice Xantia will be more available ... and Xantias have hung together very well. Here I am thinking rust, interior trim and melted steering wheels. Superior in all ways over a GS except for weight. More solid construction and crash safety and not a silly amount of Hydropneumatic trickery if a simple one. The water cooled engines are a different kettle of fish to a 4 cyl flat air cooled and leaky four. Manuals available too. Manual C5s are super rare in Oz. Xantias have powered brakes too. Just the front strut mounts that are the biggest real cause for concern....knowledge is power in that situation though.

Reading your requirements, I don't think you'll enjoy a GS.

Highway cruiser in comfort for 4 yes - but generally you drive a GS, not cruise in it. Long hills will kill progress or require a lot of gear changing; 110kph for any amount of hours will have you wishing for a five speed box and/ or a good sound system; and "enthusiastic" driving will induce body roll.

Your chances of getting a good one are random - a few still exist but owners rarely part with them so you have to be in the right place at the right time, and it will then be highly debatable what the vehicle is worth. Most ones that come up for sale are project cars, but if you embark on one and then decide a GS is not your thing you'd be a "glass overflowing" person to expect to get your money back.

As Dave says, why not a Xantia - though I reckon both GS and Xantia will be in the same category for replacement parts soon if they aren't already? I've had a Xantia as my holiday tourer for a decade now, and although it's not classic it fulfills all your other requirements.
    Greg and Jinandfonic like this.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi Guys,

Face it, Xantias are dead, and no more parts available. They were built as a throw away car, and have come to the end of their life.

In reality, from Citroen, there are only two cars now to choose from, either a C5 Series 2 HDI, or a C5 X7 HDI, you can pick them at bargain prices, have all the bells and whistles, and will generally serve you very well.

The GS is a modern classic, despite its faults, the biggest pity is that we didn't gets GSA's, as the GSA resolved most of the early GS problems regarding power, and to a certain extent ventilation.

I've had many GS's, and loved them. My first Citroen was a GS 1220 wagon. It gave a level of comfort in a small car that was unheard of at the time.

Best regards,

Greg
    UFO, Bruce H and Roger Wilkinson like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Fellow Frogger

I assume there is a requirement to be 30+ years to benefit from the NSW historic/club rego schemes. That rules out all Xantia XM and later. Jag and 505 are OK choices, but never in the same market segment as a GS. A BX would do the job too and much less noise than a GS, but you have to face the brittle plastic / not intended to last issues on that and all cars of the era. Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 pre XJ40 you should know about. Generally, the 4.0 XJ40 is much better regarded than the original 3.6, but that won't meet the 30 year rule just yet.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all of you who replied.

I'm after a car I can keep on conditional ergo so 30 plus years old.

Would you guys say the CX 2400 would better suit my requirements?

Regards

Alan

1000+ Posts

a well sorted CX 2500 Gti Manual is a wonderful thing, but for simplicity and parts cost I reckon a GS is better. GS seem to be turning up fairly frequently lately on gumtree and carsales, there was that one in Melbourne that had been restored that would be a good buy. I’m rebuilding my GS motor soon, put new tyres on it, a new steering wheel if I get really obsessed, but nothing else will be messed with because of the cost and effort, want to keep it as original as possible. They epitomize Citroen to me, a cross between a D and a 2CV.
    graham66 and jaahn like this.

Given your age requirement, do you really think you'll be able to get both "economical" and "reliable" along with the rest of your requirements?

I'll preface my statements by saying that my views are coloured by the fact that every CX I drove over many years (4 of them ranging from Super to Prestige) was rebuilt, repaired or restored before I got to use it, so they may have ended up sorted but didn't start that way. Similarly one of the 3 BX's in the family for many years started as repaired, but one other owned from new. I also got out of CX's as they appeared to me far less economical to maintain than a GS, but that was before the parts situation favoured CX's over GS's.

I'd imagine a BX would have to still be more economical than a CX of any specification, fuel wise and in the number of parts to go wrong.
    Given the age requirement, you could get an early 19TRi (long hills could exhaust the 16TRS), but wait a little while and you could also get a BX 16Valve old enough. From what I've seen, you'd be lucky to find a good BX for sale, however. A few more people seemed to look after the 16Valves than the TRi's, but as with the GS the few good ones rarely come up for sale. And as for parts....... ( maybe someone could start 3D printing some of them?)

Parts supply for a CX is a bit better than a BX or GS if you're prepared to wait for shipping from a European supplier, but they're a lot more complex than a BX. Just as some people argue you're better off starting with a base model D than an upper spec for simplicity's sake, a CX 2200 Super has less to go wrong, but when was the last time anyone saw a good one of them for sale? (They're about as common as a Skoda 120L )
    Greg likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger

CX Super is pretty much an extinct species. Avoid any CX like the Super without power steering, which is why many were junked - unsaleable. CX power steering is an unusual and slightly complicated system, but far better to have it than struggle without. I liked the CX, but c-matic and carby really wasn't enough power for it. A 25ie auto is probably a better choice. Typical CX A/C is weak and the BX was rather better. The BX is generally a competent, but mostly unloved model. If chasing a BX, plan on buying something like a 19TRi needing some attention.

If you can adjust your requirements slightly by keeping your max speed down to 100... and your seating to 2 adults then I think the GS is perfectly fine as a long term classic.

I just got back from the Blackall Range, a steady and winding climb of some 11 klms straight. The GS coped well in 3rd gear sitting on about 4000rpm all the way to the top. Sure the engine note goes up an octave when it needs to be pushed along, but it always feels up to the task. And this too, in the height of summer such as we are now... no worries about overheating.
    Bruce H likes this.

You are asking for an awful lot in one vehicle! Which requirements are you willing to compromise?

I cannot think of a Citroen that meets all your requirements. The one that comes closest is a CX GTi or Turbo. Or maybe a DSpecial, but it has a lot of body roll.

Does it really have to be a Citroen? What about a 504 or R16?

Roger

1000+ Posts

Remember Melanie's thread in the pond? She started fixing up a DS and ended owning a Rover 3500. One of these innovative cars will tick all boxes except petrol consumption - the aluminium V8 is thirsty. Cruise at speed in complete comfort all day.

I thought of a V8 Daimler too, but they are hard to find.
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.

Couldn't go wrong with this low mileage lady...
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...4763305/?Cr=17
    David S likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Dear Alan

GS looks very interesting car, although I have no experience of them ( but have always wanted to try )

Engine size does impose constraints, especially on relaxed cruising

Are you locked into CitroŽn, wonderful as they are?

If so, a good D Spťciale would tick most of the boxes, except body roll ( can be ameliorated with some bastardry to hydraulics with Xantia bits, I believe ) but good DS's are a) hard to find and b) not cheap if good. People qualified to service safely, reliably and cheaply are thin on the ground ( but I have found one ).

Why not a 404 or 504? They fail the body roll test, but once one is used to it and plans for it it is no restriction and if it pisses you off too much you can change it ( at the cost of changing them into a different sort of driver ). I have no difficulty staying ahead of almost all moderns on anything vaguely windy in my 404, which will also happily hold 110 up a hill. If you want more you can inject it ( my solution ) or put a 504 motor in. There are a lot more around, they are simple and hard to kill and just about any part can be found somewhere. The normal mug can do most things on them and there are still competent people around who know them well enough to do the bits that require competent people. ( I speak on this as a subnormal mug )

Renault R16 ticks pretty much the same boxes ( also body roll issue) but is also extremely competent if you can get a good one. There is a good one in WA on AF at the moment ( see post from Geckoeng ). Needs some work but has real potential.

Agree about Rover 2000 or 3500 too. Fascinating cars, good apart from being British.

Despite my anti british bias the other "sleeper" would be an Austin 1800 - very competent and nice to drive, with very good suspension/roadholding, although basic interior and pretty low-rent fitments. Problem would be the usual British rust/reliability and consequent non availability of anything good.

Other one with the same virtues as Peugeot/Renault/Rover is Saab, but I have only admired from afar, so can't comment from any more than book knowledge (the worst sort ). They do have an awesome reputation for Swedish unkillability and Turbo ones are quick.

Other question is how much you want to get your own hands dirty.

Happy hunting, there is some interesting stuff out there

Andrew
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post

Regards

Alan
    Why wouldn't you look at a series 3 Jag XJ6? I don't know what they are like to own but they are a beautiful car, seat four in real comfort, it will cruise and ride wonderfully, not very expensive to buy and surely the only way their value will go is up.

Fellow Frogger!

I've just driven my Rover P6 B (3500cc V8) 400 KM. I think that it does tick all the boxes but, requiring 98 octane fuel and fuel usage is higher, ... yes, it does cost more to run.
    Body roll was an issue, but being a member of the Rover Club, enabled me to purchase the revised roll bar. This gives the front end some stiffness and the car still retains the wonderful ride. The powerful and smooth engine takes the steepest hills in its stride to the point that you simply aren't aware of them.
    I love the ID model Citroen and yes, they'll do the hills but only with a good run-up.
    I owned the DS 23 5 Speed. Can't really say anything negative there. Powerful, maybe a change down to 4th at times and yes, some body roll but whoa ...... what a joy as a cruiser. Not as nippy at gearchangers as the ID. Well, the DSpecial is a great town car but always hankering for a taller gear when on the highway.

They are all differant aren't they. People ask me which classic I enjoy the most ? I reply .... The one I'm driving at the time !
    Michael
    Richard W likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Why wouldn't you look at a series 3 Jag XJ6? I don't know what they are like to own but they are a beautiful car, seat four in real comfort, it will cruise and ride wonderfully, not very expensive to buy and surely the only way their value will go is up.
    I've always thought the S2, esp. the V12, was the ultimate Jag XJ - better sorted out/equipped than S1 and retaining the original Lyons shape in some interesting colours that all became a little lost in S3. However, as a practical choice the S3 4.2 is sensible as it gained much needed headroom, a factory sunroof option, EFI and some other minor but helpful improvements. For what they are, they are absurdly cheap, as are many W116/W107 Mercedes from the same period. The SAAB c900 (the classic model pre-94) is also a worthy choice, well engineered, parts are mostly easy and inexpensive and they are even quite pleasant to work on. Slant nose cars arrived in 1986 and the convertible that appeared shortly after would have cost someone about $90K to drive away in here. The manual gearbox is a weak point though. A turbo auto is quite OK, but 3 speeds and no lockup is rather less than most people expect today.
    Last edited by David S; 2nd January 2018 at 02:22 AM.
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Many, many thanks to all of you for your comments.

Your comments have just about followed my thoughts. I had a Jaguar XJ6 Series 3 and it does tick all the boxes for ride comfort, room ,handling and touring ability but it seemed to always need something and it was hard to work on. It also drank 98 liberally.

I have long looked at British cars but after the Jaguar and my experience with an Armstrong Siddeley and a Vauxhall Cresta compared with my Renault 15TS the British cars just don't seem very reliable. I also don't want the "look at me" image of the Jaguar.

Saying all this the Jaguars are magnificent to drive.

So that brings me to what I'm trying to achieve, a more practical car with as many Jaguar like characteristics as possible. Probably the GS was the wrong choice but what a brilliant car. Big comfy seats, great ride and handling, economical and simple. Probably not quiet. I have been thinking a lot about Peugeots, the 504 and 505 but Citroens tug at my heart strings. The Renault 16 is a good choice but the 504 has more room and higher gearing.

From all this I think 504 is the best car for me.

I noticed a few of you mentioned CX2500, I was under the impression these were imported in very limited numbers, so I assume they would be as rare as a Skoda 120L? If I'm wrong and these are out there please let me know.

Regards

Alan

CX 25GTi's weren't imported in any great number, the CX25 Pallas a few more. Being recognised as "the last" of the Australian sold CX's has meant that a few got looked after by CX lovers and have survived, so probably not quite as rare as the 120L.

PS see Greg's post below re numbers - my comments were based on cars seen, his is based on facts.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 2nd January 2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Better info from another post
    Bruce H

Hello Alan. There were actually a fair number (in relative terms) of CX models sold in Australia at various times and some good ones are kicking around if you have time to look / wait for a good one to come up. It took me well over a year to get onto mine. There is an interesting CX 25 GTi F/S in VIC on Car Sales which has been there for a while. Should fill most of your requirements nicely. You don't specify your budget but the asking price on this should be negotiable by now I'd have thought. - https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4554764/?Cr=0

Or there is a 2400 at a fair bit less and closer to you in NSW also.- https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5126687/?Cr=0

I also once had a 1978 MB 450SE for about 15 years of good long distance cruising and a good one of these would also probably suit the requirements you outline. Although economy is not a strong suit with the 450 if this is a consideration. The 280 version was a bit less powered but the motor was very good. You could do worse than this 280SE which looks to have been well maintained.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5164060/?Cr=6

Anyway, best of luck finding what you want.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Great discussion and good to see some sensible recognition of options.

For serious use, cruising ability etc, it's hard to go past a good BX Estate, a TRi or TZi manual but for the interior plastics of course! They are just an extraordinarily good car. Pretty strong for their time too. Super reliable, basic Peugeot components and basic hydropneumatics. They certainly aren't Jaguars though.

A basic manual Xantia is superb but we sold ours at 20 years, not least as parts were obviously drying up (not that it needed many, ever).

Personally I don't care about body roll - that's they way they were engineered and comes with the comfort - just drive any classic within its limits and it'll please you. I guess it is personal, but unless you are really knocking up the kilometres, fuel costs might not be a large proportion of total ownership costs. I'm just paying to get the CX AC fixed professionally and the 2018 fuel cost will certainly be rather less......

Anyway thanks for an interesting read. Certainly some really interesting options out there!

Happy New Year to all.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Guys,

It's all horses for courses.......Everything has it's positives and negatives?

For your info, there were the same amount of CX25 GTI's imported as were Pallas's. The reason the GTI's were imported was, as I've stated many times before, was the Citroen built small runs of GTIs for Saudi Arabia, and the Australian spec CX was very similar in some respects, so we got the second shipment of CX2500's as GTI's.

The 2500, is really the only CX worth considering, but a bit like the original oil level gauge, the CX AC doesn't work, air flow from the front vents is non existent, no matter what you do it, so it's not a summer car, so it's no better than a GS or really a DS.

BX's were a great car in their day, and was Citroen first attempt to build a low maintenance car, but their day has finished as well?

There is a lot to be said for a nice D Special...............And while their not cheap any more, if you look after it, it will be worth more than what you paid for it when it comes time to sell.

Best regards,

Greg
    gsowner84 likes this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information