Citroen GS can it do this - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Citroen GS can it do this

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    ^ Peter what do you think about these. Assuming they could just squeeze inside the rear sideskirts without touching.

https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=80&rim=15

Attachment 102449
    My main worry with these is that they'd very possibly be old stock. This type is not an Australian market type & TS is presumably doing a grey import. They seem to list the oddest things & I'd be a bit worried. Nor are they particularly cheap even though "on sale" for "last 4". 155/80 is now another obsolete size in Oz; I have no idea what all the VW beetle guys are fitting.

As for the tyre, BFG is a Michelin brand & the current BFG Drive T/A is a mid-pack wet offering at best so my surmise would be that the advertised one would be not a good wet choice (even if of recent manufacturing date with a compound not yet hardened by the ravages of time).

Someone else might have fitted 155/80 to a GS & can reassure about inner guard clearance on full lock & so on but if not, you might be able to do a sensible appraisal by inputting tyre sizes at:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

All in all, my inclination would be to avoid this option as having too many question marks hanging over it.

cheers! Peter

Advertisement
    graham66 likes this.

This 505 with a claimed 68k looks nice. Fits the bill?? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-5145918

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

As a kid in the 80's and early 90's I spent many, many hours as a passenger on long journeys in my father's frenchies, CitroŽn gs and D special, Peugeot 504 & 505.
    Then, once I came of driving age in '96, I moved to behind the wheel, driving the gs, 504 and 505. Then came the Renault 20, R25, and CitroŽn bx 19tri.
    The gs is an awesome car, so much fun to drive, especially driven hard. As others have said though, not so much a highway 'cruiser', mainly due to the fact it needs revs. The bx on the other hand...
    I used to really enjoy driving that car. It is a late series 2, auto so my mum could drive it. The handling through the Adelaide hills was amazing, body roll and all, it was quiet and comfortable at any speed, and I quite liked the interior.
    The Peugeots, in my opinion, pretty much tick all your boxes. I especially liked the 505, particularly series 2 with the updated dash that I love and everyone else seems to hate, infact, I would love to own and modify a late gti.
    But my pick of the lot is the Renaults. The 20 (again series 2) was lovely with its comfort and handling, and heaps of body roll to scare the passengers (yes, I used to love doing that too). But for me the winner is the R25. I absolutely, completely, fell in love with that car as a young fella. So comfortable, as many french cars are, luxurious, clever electronics for the time (even though the dashboard computer never works properly), and decent performance. But oh the handling! Handles like a Renault, that is, brilliantly, but without the usual Renault body roll. I did some extremely dangerously quick hills runs in that car.
    Just another option to throw in to the mix.

I should mention that I haven't driven any of these cars for near enough to 20 years, so my memories of them may possibly be slightly romanticized!

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by Leeroy69; 10th January 2018 at 01:55 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy69 View Post
    As a kid in the 80's and early 90's I spent many, many hours as a passenger on long journeys in my father's frenchies, CitroŽn gs and D special, Peugeot 504 & 505.
    Then, once I came of driving age in '96, I moved to behind the wheel, driving the gs, 504 and 505. Then came the Renault 20, R25, and CitroŽn bx 19tri.
    The gs is an awesome car, so much fun to drive, especially driven hard. As others have said though, not so much a highway 'cruiser', mainly due to the fact it needs revs. The bx on the other hand...
    I used to really enjoy driving that car. It is a late series 2, auto so my mum could drive it. The handling through the Adelaide hills was amazing, body roll and all, it was quiet and comfortable at any speed, and I quite liked the interior.
    The Peugeots, in my opinion, pretty much tick all your boxes. I especially liked the 505, particularly series 2 with the updated dash that I love and everyone else seems to hate, infact, I would love to own and modify a late gti.
    But my pick of the lot is the Renaults. The 20 (again series 2) was lovely with its comfort and handling, and heaps of body roll to scare the passengers (yes, I used to love doing that too). But for me the winner is the R25. I absolutely, completely, fell in love with that car as a young fella. So comfortable, as many french cars are, luxurious, clever electronics for the time (even though the dashboard computer never works properly), and decent performance. But oh the handling! Handles like a Renault, that is, brilliantly, but without the usual Renault body roll. I did some extremely dangerously quick hills runs in that car.
    Just another option to throw in to the mix.

I should mention that I haven't driven any of these cars for near enough to 20 years, so my memories of them may possibly be slightly romanticized!

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    We had a Renault 25 for years. I way prefer a CX to it ..... The 25 sure was a nice car though. Like the CX, where do you find a decent one ... There's a roadtest on here somewhere of the CX versus 25 versus saab ... and something else. As usual the road testers don't like the CX as they struggle to drive it.

Turbo Comparison - Citroen CX, Renault 25, Saab 900 - "Performance Car" Magazine - 10/85

found it!

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    I'm looking for a classic which I can keep long term but use for occasional long trips. I'm looking for a car that can cruise easily at 110 without losing speed on long highway hill. Seats 4 adults comfortably and rides very nicely (like a Jaguar or 504). Also very little body roll. Basically a reliable economical comfortable quiet saloon that handles beautifully.

If a GS can do this what is the chances of getting a good one and how about the long term parts situation?

Regards

Alan
    Alan - among other things, this is the sort of fun you can have in a GS

In the scheme of things, I don't think it would meet your specifications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmPJM4vTiV0
    artisan, graham66, Bruce H and 1 others like this.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

1000+ Posts

BRRRRRRRRRR BRRRRRRRRRR BRRRRRRRRRR.

The guy who sold me his D was happy to let it go and stick with his GS. He knew what was going on.

this one is quite interesting too.

forumnoreason and CXVingtCinq like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

rubbing it in there Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    rubbing it in there Shane.
    Not really .... The GS is every bit as good as the CX ( if not better ) where ride quality, braking and handling is involved Actually I was really impressed iwth the Merc in that Video. They have managed to get a standard car with springs, rwd that good!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I've often alluded to the slalom handling thing. Viz, a few sudden changes of direction.

I test drove a slew of Pugs some years back, and did the fast weaving thing.
    Terrible, and enough to go no further. The worst ones almost lost it completely, the better ones were less dramatic.
    Citroen doesn't "go there" ... and nor does the body roll thing accompany the movement.

Let alone stopping in a straight line under the wet/oily conditions.

Agree that on most days, most cars will cope, but its comforting to know that in an unexpected event, the Citroen will pretty much save your ass. Not so most other marques.

IMHO .. you "have" to have owned, and driven, hydro-Cits to understand what makes them special, if not unique.
    Personally, if the GS had evolved ... better engine performance, ventilation, etc, they would have been seriously high on the world beater list. Still a wonderful thing, but could have been better.
    Last edited by garyk; Yesterday at 12:38 AM.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

1000+ Posts

you’ve misunderstood me, I was coming from the Citroen v the rest angle.

JBN

If they crashed all those cars into a brick wall, the CX would really stand out for its considerable ability to absorb punishment without distortion of the inner cabin. No other car used longerons to connect front and rear subframes to spread the force of impact.

Another test which the CX would blitz any car other than the SM, would be hitting one front road wheel against a kerb or a pothole. This would require the CX to have Diravi power steering (as does the SM) as whatever happened to one of the front road wheels has no bearing on the direction and controllability of the remaining road wheel, nor indeed on the angle of the steering wheel.

Sadly the last of the pure Citroens.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    If they crashed all those cars into a brick wall, the CX would really stand out for its considerable ability to absorb punishment without distortion of the inner cabin. No other car used longerons to connect front and rear subframes to spread the force of impact.

Another test which the CX would blitz any car other than the SM, would be hitting one front road wheel against a kerb or a pothole. This would require the CX to have Diravi power steering (as does the SM) as whatever happened to one of the front road wheels has no bearing on the direction and controllability of the remaining road wheel, nor indeed on the angle of the steering wheel.

Sadly the last of the pure Citroens.

John
    Pssstt...... Google center point steering .... sadly the CX doesn't really... almost kinda have this. The GS, SM and DS do!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information