is there a trick to separating cx headlight shells
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By levit8

Thread: is there a trick to separating cx headlight shells

Default is there a trick to separating cx headlight shells

Hi guys am messing around with my cx prestige to get back on the road and one of the headlights is pretty rough and i have a good replacement which a previous owner looks to have rebuilt but put back together upside down and its got some kind of gasket or sealer holding it together
    so is there an easy way to separate metal shell from plastic part of shell without breaking anything
    any advice appreciated
    is there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20171231_163122_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20171231_163101_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20171231_124839_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20171229_171718_resized.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by levit8; 31st December 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Fellow Frogger

There are top mount and bottom mount lights used, depending on the age of the car. Top mounts are generally later. Are you sure you are not confusing that and thinking someone has assembled it incorrectly. It's rare for the reflector bucket (common to many Valeo/Cibie units - e.g. Jag XJS) and the adapter extension to need to be separated. The glass falls off in old age, but you can carefully cut away any sealant with a knife to free it if it's partly stuck on.

You may be right David as was unaware the mount was top and/or bottom which would explain my dilemma
    Maybe i need to chase a rh side top mount headlight assembley instead, will go and have another look
    Thanks

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yes that is an early bottom mount headlight. I woudln't try separating them unless you intend to rebuild it. Note: only the rear part of the light needs to have good reflector lense. The front part is only reflective on later lights. The eariler lights are just painted grey/silver. DO NOT TOUCH ANY MIRRORED SURFACE TO CLEAN. Don't even breath on it .... don't dust it ... don't touch it. The reflective surface will wipe off to the gentlest touch!

I have plenty of glasses here, but no headlights with good reflectors

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Ok just had a look at another cx i have Shane and thats also got the mounts at bottom ,have a spare top mount rh headlight bucket with a reasonable reflector but glass is not mounted so not sure what sealant to use to hold it to shell
    Or may cut the lower mounting bracket off good headlight shell and tack weld it to top
    Thanks Jeff

Love it .... ".. another CX I have.." that is!

For a price they turn up in good nick on ebay France occasionally. I see it is the RHS on the photo? Good opportunity to get to all the relays scattered around in that quarter of the car!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Haha relays and crap everywhere yes, ok ive fixed the problem and used the good headlight that has lower adjustment/mounting bracket and put it on top of shell
    So will put a few pics up for future reference if nothing else just to get someone out of trouble so what i did was drill through the 3 spot welds on actual bracket using a 1/8 drill bit but not right through the headlight bucket, just have to guess when its gone through and was easy to break bracket away from shell by levering with flatblade screwdriver
    Then i fitted complete shell to car to workout position of bracket and was able to sit it on top edge so as not to drill through actual bucket then mark out and drill with 1/8 bit again, then pop rivet into position
    Its all mounted up and feels pretty solid so job done, thanks for help guys
    Jeff
    is there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20180101_175815_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20180101_180453_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20180101_185314_resized.jpgis there a trick to separating cx headlight shells-20180101_185624_resized.jpg

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Well done! Are the rivets visible in the reflective area of the light ? ( though I'm sure no RW tester would notice ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Ha ha we dont have roadworthy tests anually in SA but i havent drilled into the actual inner light shell anyway, drilled through top edge of joiner seam just enough to go through with a rivet head and catch on other side, so inner reflective surface of light shell is untouched as didnt need to go that far
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information