• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Oily suggestions please.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Oily suggestions please.

I have just fitted the new ( ID block ) to the traction & after suggestions for the correct oils for the engine & gearbox. I have always used Penrite & will probably stick that brand. Also I have put Nulon g70 additive in the G/box in the past, is this necessary? cheers Dave

Advertisement
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Stick with the G-70. It really improves the life span of a GOOD gearbox and diff. It will do nothing to save a box where the damage is already present. If the box it at all suspect get it out spend the money for new parts and for god's sake get someone who knows what they are doing to perform the work. There are many traps to snare the unwary. As for engine oil a mineral 20W-50 such as Penrite / Valvolene etc. will be sufficient, but change it ever 2000 K's as it is unfiltered!
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gerry, thanks for the advice. The original engine & gearbox was sent to "someone who knows what they are doing " as you suggested & the engine was beyond being repaired economically so was replaced with a D. The gearbox was thoroughly checked & was in good condition, only needing minor adjustments so all should be good. I will add the G-70 as before, do you have suggestion for the gearbox oil itself. cheers Dave

80W-90 for the gearbox oil. Choose a known brand!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Remember, 20W50 oil made to a recent standard is likely to have reduced zinc anti-wear additives compared to earlier standards. Penrite's HPR30 may suit and has added zinc content.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Gerry & David

COL

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Remember, 20W50 oil made to a recent standard is likely to have reduced zinc anti-wear additives compared to earlier standards. Penrite's HPR30 may suit and has added zinc content.
    I use Valvoline XLD Classic 20W50 in my 1970's engines and have had no problems.

I also like Penrite products, they are good quality and reasonably priced.

Penrite also have a product selector on their web site which tells you the correct lubricant for your engine and transmission. All you need to do is type in make and select the model from a drop down menu.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Col, I have checked out the Penrite site & HPR 30 20-60 appears to be the one to use. Also there is 2 recommendations for gearbox oil ( a gl5 & a gl4) I seem to remember that it is important to use only GL4 . cheers Dave

FWIW I've been using the Penrite "Full Zinc" oils for years now, including some long trips (9,000 km in three weeks) in our 1964 Renault. Nothing remotely resembling issues, oil pressure same as 1989. It's 20W-60 now, although heaven knows why, 50 being more than enough. For the long trips over East, I change at the return point, so the oil is only in for ten days!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

The gradings are not cleanly cut off. So what is graded 20w50 but on the high side may be very little different to what is graded 20w60 on the low side. It's a bit like some cusp dwellers of neighbouring star signs.
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information