Ds 23 right side outer drive shaft boot
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Ds 23 right side outer drive shaft boot

Default Ds 23 right side outer drive shaft boot

Can anyone advise on procedure. I have taken the drive shaft off but it is not apparent what the next move is. Looks like it could be a bit complicated

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Change both boots. You press off the spider at the inner end to be able to slip the new outer boot onto the shaft. I don't think you would have any luck with aftermarket stretch boots unless you have one of the late driveshafts with a CV at the wheel end instead of the usual double Hooke joint.

The factory manual should cover this job. If you do not have the documentation already visit:
    https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/
    and download the appropriate files (manuals 814-1 and 814-2 for a 23) from Dropbox.
    Greg likes this.

Thanks David. I thought that might be the case. Appreciated

Fellow Frogger

You really want Ligarex strapping too. However, if that is not available there are similar generic strapping kits you could use. Ligarex is good because the pliers let you tension the band with some control. Some of the others systems are not as good in that respect. Cable ties, while easy to use, are not the best option here because the pressure is not uniform.

Fellow Frogger!

Peter, I have the ligarex tool and strapping if you need it...

Good man. I may come calling

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

If you do not have access to a large enough press, or the genuine Citroen tool, you can get the spider off with a cheap hydraulic gear puller (in the states they are sold by Harbor Freight tools). Be sure to remove the circlip first, and pay attention to the orientation of the undercut on the spider. To reinstall the spider, I wait until SWMBO goes shopping, then heat the spider in the oven to 450F (way below the transition temperature of the spider, so the metallurgy is no affected). At 450F it will go back onto the shaft splines with a light tap. (use a socket wrench that is just big enough to slide over the splines as a drift).
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

A less approved method (necessary on cars with the Bibax coupling) is to carefully split the boot with a razor. Use cyanoacrylate glue to repair the seam one you slide it over the shaft. Allow the adhesive to set overnight, then slide the boot into place and secure it. I performed this operation on my 1961 DS19 a year ago and so far, so good...
    Cheers,
    John T.

61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

Now that is smart thinking given the size of the task. Most of the way there so maybe next time. Thanks for the idea. I’m sure others will latch onto it as well

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    A less approved method (necessary on cars with the Bibax coupling) is to carefully split the boot with a razor. Use cyanoacrylate glue to repair the seam one you slide it over the shaft. Allow the adhesive to set overnight, then slide the boot into place and secure it. I performed this operation on my 1961 DS19 a year ago and so far, so good...
    I did they with my ID19 as I couldn't see any other way of doing it ......
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I did they with my ID19 as I couldn't see any other way of doing it ......
    I cut a piece of heavy but supple leather and sewed it together.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, As you note the approved way to fit inner boots over a Bibax coupling was to remove the failed boot, and stretch the new one over a verrrry well lubricated smooth cone. A bit like childbirth in reverse. Even when new and done by the local Citroen masters the rate of tearing during fitting was a problem. Later triaxe inner joints are no problem once the driveshaft is removed ( 3 tapers: upper and lower ball joint and the steering rod ). Removal of the triaxe from the joint is straightforward and on Ds benefit from not having needle rollers on the inner surfaces. ( See the current AF post re dramas refitting a C5 shaft.)... modern practice on FWD.

Wear on the inner triaxe sliding surface may be evident. Two varieties of inner joint housings were used. The earlier alloy housings are prone to cracking but have a steel sleeve and use a concentric boot mating surface. Later tougher cast steel housings require a specific boot to engage with the "waved" profile of the casting.

These days ( and I have had this done twice now on a C5 ) is to use a multi fingered expanding device powered by compressed air. The multiple fingers stretch the small axle diameter of the boot to the diameter of the bigger
    end. ... The device was referred to as the "apprentice scarer " ... not at all PC.

For what it's worth, I have one of those pneumatic boot stretchers and tried to use it on the shafts of my 1961 DS19. I tried to stretch the outer CV joint boot over the bibax spline. It tore. I tried to stretch a Bailcast universal inner CV boot over the bibax with the boot stretcher. It also tore. Ultimately I used a well-greased ATF funnel to get the Bailcast inner boot on, but the outer boot is just not stretchy enough, so I resorted to splitting and mending the outer boot.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Fellow Frogger!

For what it's worth, I have one of those pneumatic boot stretchers and tried to use it on the shafts of my 1961 DS19. I tried to stretch the outer CV joint boot over the bibax spline. It tore. I tried to stretch a Bailcast universal inner CV boot over the bibax with the boot stretcher. It also tore. Ultimately I used a well-greased ATF funnel to get the Bailcast inner boot on, but the outer boot is just not stretchy enough, so I resorted to splitting and mending the outer boot.
    Yes ! Enough said. I have not tried childbirth since either.
    The pneumatic device works a treat within the limits of the boot's ability to stretch. My repairman resorted to the stretch over technique for the wheel end CV joint and supplied a universal one size fits all boot, which feels a better quality than the original material.

Guys,
    Just a suggestion.
    Usually when a boot has failed that is a good time to remove the driveshaft, clean all the old grease out of the triax, check the end for play/wear, replace the damper weigh rubbers, give it a lick of paint and put the thing together.
    Pulling the triax off the end is about an extra 10 minutes work with a decent puller and vice which makes the cleanup even easier.
    Then it will be right for another 50 years...
    I understand the the need to sometime split and glue - so I'm not suggesting this is not a good idea, however usually busted boot are a sign of the need to service the unit - replacing the boot only without doing the rest is not normally ideal.
    All the best,
    Mark...

Hello Mark,

Our talk about splitting the boot concerns early Dees with Bibax couplings. Not later cars.

Generally though, I agree that a proper job is the right thing to do.

Cheers,
    Roger

Thread Information