Citroen DS20 warning lights
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen DS20 warning lights

Hello there. I have just completed re-wiring of my DS 20 (1970 DSuper) and I am proud that everything is working perfectly except for one small detail. If I can remember, when one turns on the ignition key, all the warning lights in the dashboard should lighten up - center circle big STOP lamp, oil pressure, coolant over temperature and hydraulic oil pressure red lights and alternator orange light - and they should fade out after a few engine turns, perhaps the STOP circle light being the last one to turn off. However, in my DS only the alternator light is on until the engine is running normally. There is not a single wire which is not connected. I know I am missing something but I am not able to troubleshoot what it could be. Could someone help me? Pedro

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pedro,The engine hot light should only light when the engine is too hot, not on start up, check it by shorting it out to earth. Then check the oil pressure sensors by shorting their connections to see if the lights go on, if they don't you have a wiring problem.
    Woody

I had a similar problem with my SM after putting the instrument panel back in one time. I found one of the round connectors in the centre of the lamp cluster had pulled off so I was not getting a 12 volt feed to the bulbs that are then earthed out by their respective switch/sensor. So go looking for the 12 volt feed.

Cheers, Ken

Tadpole

Hi Woody and Ken, thank you for your hints. I start to believe that the problem is within the dashboard itself because:
    1 - the alternator orange light turns on with the ignition key and turns off as long as the engine is running;
    2 - the 12 volt feed is right there in the yellow six pin connector behind the dashboard, where it should be, and the voltage comes and goes along with the ignition key (it's working);
    3 - if I press the test knob (between the lamp cluster and the speedometer) the lamp cluster becomes like a Christmas tree! All lamps lighten up: hydraulic oil pressure, engine oil pressure, coolant temperature and round big STOP lamp, all along with the alternator lamp which was already orange.

It must be within the dashboard. Don't you think?

Regards,
    Pedro

Hi Pedro,

I have no D model experience but it sounds like all the lamps in the cluster are working. When you turn on the ignition you should only see the alternator lamp (which seems to be working OK), the lack of oil pressure lamp and the lack of hydraulic pressure lamp.

I would go to the oil pressure switch and connect that terminal with lead attached to chassis somewhere and see if that lights the oil pressure dash lamp with the ignition on but engine not running. If it does you have a faulty oil pressure sensor. If it doesn't light up, there must be a break or mixup in the wiring.

Try the same with the hydraulic system pressure switch.

Cheers, Ken

Tadpole

Hi there. Problem solved. It was the oil pressure valve that was not ensuring connection to ground with the ignition key in the on position. In fact the old valve was leaking, I've fitted a new one when I rebuilt the engine and I could not imagine that a new valve could be damaged!! Thanks for the hints. Pedro

Thread Information