C5 MK2 (facelift '06) AC blower resistor pack location?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 3 Post By Blufires
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: C5 MK2 (facelift '06) AC blower resistor pack location?

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 MK2 (facelift '06) AC blower resistor pack location?

Hey everyone,

The day before Christmas the AC blower stopped blowing in my 2006 C5 (the facelifted one) with dual zone climate control. I've worked out the resistor pack's MOSFET is likely the cause, but when I try to look up where the resistor pack is located, I just get pictures of a pre-facelift C5 with grey interior showing the location next to the clutch pedal (where I checked and couldn't find anything). Has anyone fixed this on a facelifted model with climate control who knows where it is?

Advertisement
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M
    - two person micro camper & work car.

Hi,

For some reason the parts catalogue doesn't list it for the Series 11, but on the Series 1 & X7 they are on the passengers side (RHD)

They very rarely give trouble, so maybe just unlucky?

best regards,

Greg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Hey everyone,

The day before Christmas the AC blower stopped blowing in my 2006 C5 (the facelifted one) with dual zone climate control. I've worked out the resistor pack's MOSFET is likely the cause, but when I try to look up where the resistor pack is located, I just get pictures of a pre-facelift C5 with grey interior showing the location next to the clutch pedal (where I checked and couldn't find anything). Has anyone fixed this on a facelifted model with climate control who knows where it is?
    I can't imagine that the position changed from series 1 - facelift model, could be wrong but worth a closer inspection.

On the series 1 the unit is hiding under a upholstered cover - it's high to the left of the brake pedal, just pulls away to reveal all.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I can't imagine that the position changed from series 1 - facelift model, could be wrong but worth a closer inspection.

On the series 1 the unit is hiding under a upholstered cover - it's high to the left of the brake pedal, just pulls away to reveal all.

Cheers
    Chris
    Those were the pictures I kept seeing. I figured it would be similar and pulled out that cover, but it was different enough that there's a screw on the facelift models holding that carpet piece to the plastic panel, and behind it is just the main casing of (I think) the evaporator. No luck on finding the blower driver unit thingo there.
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M

On the C5 X7 the power control module for the interior fan locates into the air box on the LHS. You take off the cover under the glovebox and you can see a 4 wire connector attached to a roundish item with a raised section across the middle. If you can rotate this anticlockwise, it then comes out of the airbox revealing its heatsink.

Cheers, Ken W
    GreenBlood and Blufires like this.

Icon3

Those were the pictures I kept seeing. I figured it would be similar and pulled out that cover, but it was different enough that there's a screw on the facelift models holding that carpet piece to the plastic panel, and behind it is just the main casing of (I think) the evaporator. No luck on finding the blower driver unit thingo there.
    Yes, quite funny when using google, I took those pics when I replaced my resistor and posted on the forum here - I see they are now used by many of the UK vendors to help sell their wares. I expect my Royalty Cheque is in the mail. . .

Back to your issue, checking part numbers for the Series 1 resistor shows compatibility up to 2004 - then there is a gap to 2008 with a different unit for the X7. The Facelift model appears to fall into the abyss.

I did find on the Citroen Owners Club forum a suggestion that the resistor is incorporated into the heater fan blower and is located in the passenger side footwell and fitted to the heater unit. Not a lot of info, no pics or part number. . .
    Blower Resistor : Where Is It - Problems and Fixes - C5 - Citroen Owners Club. The citroen cars forums

I guess start looking for removable trim on the passenger side and see if you can identify the part - good luck

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

The facelifted cars had revised AC and did not suffer the same fault with the control module. I think you will find the engine slave supplies the power directly to the motor and the AC ECU sends a control signal to a module on the blower motor assembly. You get at it from the left side of the heater/AC unit. For RHD, you are apparently supposed to remove the left airbag to get at it, but maybe it can be worked around. Perhaps, the blower motor has failed?
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I fixed it. Looks like the fuse holder is a bit dodgy. This is the old AC blower fuse. My guess is it was a bit loose and it arced enough to get so hot the fuse casing melted. The melted plastic covered the contact so the circuit went dead. However the fuse wire itself didn't break, so checking the continuity of the fuse from the top while it was in place showed no issue.
    C5 MK2 (facelift '06) AC blower resistor pack location?-melted-fuse.jpg
    GreenBlood, ScotFrog and JohnW like this.
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M

good on you

Well done! It looked like an ongoing nightmare from here!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I had to recently replace the fuse box on the c5;the auto electrician pointed out the there is to great a load the way the original is wired and re-routed the aircon and fans;all good now.

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    I had to recently replace the fuse box on the c5;the auto electrician pointed out the there is to great a load the way the original is wired and re-routed the aircon and fans;all good now.
    You'd really have hoped they'd have learned to avoid that one from the Xantia!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

I fixed it. Looks like the fuse holder is a bit dodgy. This is the old AC blower fuse. My guess is it was a bit loose and it arced enough to get so hot the fuse casing melted. The melted plastic covered the contact so the circuit went dead. However the fuse wire itself didn't break, so checking the continuity of the fuse from the top while it was in place showed no issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melted fuse.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	102397
    Not overloaded trying to drag air through a blocked cabin filter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Not overloaded trying to drag air through a blocked cabin filter ?
    That question could start a new thread on its own. I've worked a lot with downhole (bore) pumps and the common wisdom was that if you shut them off at surface, you'd burn out the motor. The opposite is actually true for centrifugal water pumps with downhole electric motors. The motor does work (generating heat of course) by shifting a fluid against a resistance: if the resistance is too high, the pump just spins and shifts very little water, so it can't do much work, doesn't draw much current and cannot generate much heat. I heard one story about such a pump spinning for months against a closed valve. Does that apply to sucking air, a compressible fluid, from a restricted inlet in the same way as water which is incompressible I wonder? Dunno. I might try it with a current meter on the vacuum cleaner....

So I suspect 'not' is the answer, but the discussion could be interesting.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

From my limited experience with air conditioning, ventilation and extraction systems.

I am of the opinion multivane, reverse curved blade ,"barrel fans" are by their design inherently non overloading.

If airflow is restricted the fan blade will cavitate, which draws less power from drive motor than if it were working correctly.

I'll stand to corrected by a more knowledgeable Afer, however this is my understanding.
    Last edited by robmac; 15th January 2018 at 06:06 PM.
    JohnW likes this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Thread Information