• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By denxm
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: After Market Reversing Cameras

Icon7 After Market Reversing Cameras

The one thing I miss in my 2011 C5 is a reversing camera. For better or worse, I have taken a punt and bought a PowerTrain RVC 700 from Repco, who had them marked down to $79. Now I'm in my 80's, I thought it was worth a try. Every little helps at this age, and I'm quite prepared to throw the thing away if it's no good. Not worried if the definition is only fair, just as long as it gives some sort of reasonable view.
    In theory, the fitting looks fairly simple. I see that I can install the camera with a bracket that drops down behind the number plate on the boot lid. The wires to it need to be connected to the reversing light light circuit using solderless connections, and the reversing lights are also conveniently located in the boot lid. However There are a group of wires of different colours going into a plug and socket in the lamp holder which I think also contains a brake light. I understand that you can upset things by tampering with the electrical circuits.
    So my questions are: (1) has anyone fitted an aftermarket reversing camera to a 2011 C5 Hdi, (2) if so, has it been successful and (3) which coloured wires should I connect the solderless connectors to, assuming it's safe to do so?

Advertisement

I guess I could take it to an auto electrician, but I don't know how much the ones in Margaret River W.A. would know about Citroëns, and I don't want them mucking about with various bits of trim in the boot. I initially just want a simple connection to see whether the camera system works sufficiently well to install the rest of it, and I would probably get the panel shop (which Allpike Citroen recommend) to run the cable down to the dash because they know how to get the bits of trim off and on without damaging it.

I have approached a few auto electricians in the past, but they have been most reluctant to take on the task (before I purchased the PowerTrain), or wanted to fit one over the rear vision mirror, which I didn't want.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    ....SNIP..... I initially just want a simple connection to see whether the camera system works sufficiently well to install the rest of it....SNIP.....
    Just a thought - if you just want to see what it looks like from a resolution and perspective point of view, what about attaching the camera to the bootlid / number plate, and just wiring in a 12v battery to the power connections, rather than having to get into the wiring harness ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

It is probably more than you want to spend, but I once had an auto electrician quote $1,100 to supply and fit an integrated module.

I assume it was something like this https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.p...3&cat=0&page=2

Fellow Frogger!

To determine which is the correct wire simply undo the connector and see which pin has 12V on it when it is required.
    Woody. PS Did you consider getting one with a wireless connection, I plan on getting one for my 2CV

Icon3

Allen,
    I have recently moved from a Series1 C5 to an X7 and agree rearward vision is not great. Adjusting the side mirrors for reverse and setting the memory button goes a long way to helping with a clear view of gutters etc. I still tend to swing around and have look through the rear screen, old habits die hard but you're not getting a good view of what is immediately behind.

My solution was to install a Garmin GPS, my model X7 isn't fitted with Bluetooth or a GPS system so the Garmin filled that void.

An added benefit was this unit allows for a reverse camera which operates wirelessly to the Garmin screen - that is no need to run cables from the camera to the screen. The camera mounts to the numberplate so no need to drill holes, the cable enters the inside boot via the rubber seal on the number plate light.

The connection is then made to the reverse light, there is a powered transmitter that sends the vision to the Garmin screen so no cables/ ripping out upholstery etc. Pic shows the connection the positive (red) splices to the light blue wire on the multi plug so that when reverse is selected the camera/transmitter is powered.

I have used a CD mount for the screen, handy to the cigarette lighter socket for power to the GPS unit. I hate wires hanging around so have secured the charger cable to the back of the mount. I can still play CDs and use the steering wheel controls as access to the head unit is obscured, likewise for the radio.

The vision is quite good both at night and in bright sunlight, resolution quite acceptable. Not a huge investment for a significant outcome (for me handsfree Bluetooth/ GPS/ and Camera all bundled). The Garmin has free map upgrades for life and has already had two since installation, these can be performed via your home WiFi so no need to connect to a computer. A very neat package

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After Market Reversing Cameras-1camera.jpg   After Market Reversing Cameras-2connection-reverse-light.jpg   After Market Reversing Cameras-3rear-vision.jpg  
    JohnW and ScotFrog like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

The BSI can usually detect a changed load on a light fitting (check with Diagbox). In that case I'd switch the camera via a solid state relay and get power from something like the rear lighter socket.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The BSI can usually detect a changed load on a light fitting (check with Diagbox). In that case I'd switch the camera via a solid state relay and get power from something like the rear lighter socket.
    I had my concerns but it does checkout on Diagbox (thanks Ken) so no problem wiring direct - if there were a problem I have a relay wired towbar but it would have required running wires along the hinge on the boot lid and into the boot well.

Edit: seasink, nothing to do with reverse camera but since you mention rear lighter socket - mine does not appear to have power - I have tried different adapters (different length plugs) without success. I can't find any reference to a specific fuse for the rear lighter socket?? Would be handy to charge the phone as it drains quite quickly when using bluetooth, it is also giving live traffic updates to the GPS. Any clues on where to look?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I doubt the 50-100 mA camera current in the space of the 3amps load of the reversing lights is likely to have any consequence.
    Especially when one factors in that incandescent lamps wattages are pretty nominal.
    JohnW likes this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Really neat Chris!! What's the Garmin model please?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Allen,
    I have recently moved from a Series1 C5 to an X7 and agree rearward vision is not great. Adjusting the side mirrors for reverse and setting the memory button goes a long way to helping with a clear view of gutters etc.

Cheers
    Chris
    Should the seat memory buttons also remember the mirror positions? Ours do not seem to? They do remember the relevant air conditioning temperature settings though.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Really neat Chris!! What's the Garmin model please?
    Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT John, there was a deal going a while back where it was bundled with the BC30 Reverse camera. I opted for the 61 as it has a 6.95" touch screen, easy on my fat fingers

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT John, there was a deal going a while back where it was bundled with the BC30 Reverse camera. I opted for the 61 as it has a 6.95" touch screen, easy on my fat fingers Cheers Chris
    Thanks Chris. That was quick!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Should the seat memory buttons also remember the mirror positions? Ours do not seem to? They do remember the relevant air conditioning temperature settings though.
    Ours is a 2008 model, seems to be an in between variant (i.e. not a Comfort or Exclusive) so has seat massage/heating/etc. The memory save (1) and (2) for different drivers is on the top door sill. You can set your preferred mirror setting for normal driving and reverse, seat position etc.. All other functions aircon, radio station/volume etc. are retained.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

That has crossed my mind. probably the best way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    To determine which is the correct wire simply undo the connector and see which pin has 12V on it when it is required.
    Woody. PS Did you consider getting one with a wireless connection, I plan on getting one for my 2CV

Yes, I did, but I kept being told they were not very reliable. Depends what you spend, I guess.

I had my concerns but it does checkout on Diagbox (thanks Ken) so no problem wiring direct - if there were a problem I have a relay wired towbar but it would have required running wires along the hinge on the boot lid and into the boot well.

Edit: seasink, nothing to do with reverse camera but since you mention rear lighter socket - mine does not appear to have power - I have tried different adapters (different length plugs) without success. I can't find any reference to a specific fuse for the rear lighter socket?? Would be handy to charge the phone as it drains quite quickly when using bluetooth, it is also giving live traffic updates to the GPS. Any clues on where to look?

Cheers
    Chris
    I use WAZE as a GPS, and find it very satisfactory. It's a free download to my iPhone and also warns you of speed cameras, police traps etc. I purchased a 10,000 mAh power pack off line (HK) with a digital readout for $27. It sits in the pull out box in the C5 just above my right knee, and a cable runs to the iphone. This keeps it fully charged for 6-7 hours, despite the heavy drain.

Thanks Chris. My C5 is a 2010/11 Comfort model, and it doesn't have the function that tips the mirrors down when in reverse. Only wish it did.

Greenblood, i have the same BC30, a good bit of kit,easy to install,beats trying to run wires to the front.
    More expensive but saves the hassle and easy to swap to other cars if needed.
    As i already had a Garmin it was a no brainer,plus as you said they have free map updates.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    PS Did you consider getting one with a wireless connection, I plan on getting one for my 2CV
    Have tried wireless connection on my trailer, way to much interference, useless. Picks up interference especially from older vehicles.
    Suppose that is some warning

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Have tried wireless connection on my trailer, way to much interference, useless. Picks up interference especially from older vehicles.
    Suppose that is some warning
    Yes fair enough, reading a few reviews the most common complaint appears to be where the camera is fitted to a trailer/caravan etc.
    There are also comments on resolution but this appears to be where the transmitter has been located behind a support panel as no other location could be found.

I can only comment on my own experience, installation was straight forward, the GPS instantly recognises the camera, image is quite sharp and clear in all lighting conditions. The camera does rely on reverse lights at night but on the C5 this isn't an issue.

I don't doubt a dedicated wired system would be better, probably higher resolution and most would have LED night vision cameras. For the money and keeping to one screen I'm more than happy with the Garmin set-up. Certainly takes the guesswork out of reversing from a shopping centre carpark.

Cheers
    Chris
    JohnW likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Well I took the plunge. Repco had a 5 inch PowerTrain on special for $79.95 and I bought that. Fitting was much easier than expected. I removed the boot lid liner and the boot floor carpet, connected the solderless snap-on connectors to the reversing light cables (blue + and green/yellow --). Drilled a 5.5mm hole in the boot lid above the number plate to feed the camera cable through. Used gaffer tape to attach the cable to the boot hinges, and ran the cable underneath the door sill trim, removed the plastic cover below the steering wheel, fed the cable over that and replaced it. The only exposed bit of cable runs up over the dash to the monitor. I used tiny drops of Selley's contact adhesive on the cable to keep it in place, knowing that I could easily remove that in the future if I wanted to.
    The PowerTrain camera works quite well, worth the $80 I think, although the screen definition is a bit grainy.
    I'd attach a couple of photos, but the Mac doesn't seem to want me to do it.

Now thinking I might go for a better quality unit (if I can find one) or the Garmin option.

Thread Information